Park Ji-sung retires from internationals

oneunited

Reaction score
Park Ji-sung retires from international football

parkji-sungsouthkorea20100627_275x155.jpg

South Korea midfielder Park Ji-sung has retired from international football, boss Cho Kwang-rae has confirmed.

Park, 29, decided to call time on his international career along with team-mate Lee Young-pyo following South Korea's 3-2 victory over Uzbekistan in the Asian Cup third-place play-off encounter at Al Sadd Stadium.

''Two players from our team, Park Ji-sung and Lee Young-pyo, are retiring today from international football,'' revealed Cho. ''They've done a remarkable job for the prosperity of Korean football.

''It would be better if I could retain both of them in the national team but other players have done an excellent job.''

Park won the last of his 100 caps in Tuesday's semi-final penalty shootout defeat to Japan. He made his debut in 2000 against Laos in an Asian Cup qualifier and lies eighth on Korea's all-time appearance list.

Cho revealed that Park wanted to play against Uzbekistan but following two consecutive games that went to extra-time, he left him out to avoid picking up an injury that could impact his Manchester United career.

''Park was desperate to play in today's match and he asked me to let him play but as he had played two extra times in the previous two games, the team doctor advised not to play him to prevent any possible injury,'' he added. ''I decided to save him for his future career at his club.''

Former Tottenham defender Lee, meanwhile retires having earned 127 caps for the Taeguk Warriors, leaving Celtic defender Cha Du-ri as the only player remaining from Korea's historic 2002 World Cup semi-final appearance.

source :p

Well done to Park and Lee. Both have done an excellent job for their national team and deserve the credits.

I still remember when Park raped us (Portugal) in WC 2006... One of the most underrated players out there.

Shame they did not make it further in the AFC. Park is one of Korea's greatest.

Great player. probably the best korean player ive seen so far. can believe he's 29 now

Really? He's just 29. Could of waited for 2-3 more years. Anyways kudos to three lung park. As Reaper said one of the most underrated player

Park's passion for the game is unquestionable. He was still desperate to play against the Uzbeks after playing two extra time games prior to that. He still could of continue for his country though, but like most other Man Utd players he prefers to focus on his club career from now on. I'm not complaining.

A very underrated player imo, deserves much more credit and hopefully Korea can still progress without him

****'s sake. Beckham should be what people should aspire to be when it comes to the national team.