Parker 'named England captain'

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzeezzy

Reaction score
[h=1]Parker 'named England captain'[/h]
[h=3]Spurs midfielder handed armband by Pearce for Holland friendly[/h]
Sky sources understand Scott Parker has been named England captain by Stuart Pearce for Wednesday night's friendly international against Holland at Wembley.
The Tottenham midfielder takes the armband after Chelsea defender John Terry was stripped of the role by the Football Association earlier this month.
Pearce is in interim charge of the national side in the wake of Fabio Capello's decision to quit his post as he was unhappy with his employer's decision to remove Terry from the position.
Parker taking the armband marks a remarkable rise for the former Charlton, Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham midfielder, who has only recently established himself in the England side.
[h=4]Integral[/h]The 31-year-old moved to White Hart Lane in the summer following the Hammers' relegation and has proved to be an integral member of Harry Redknapp's squad with his impressive displays in the centre of midfield.
Parker's performances have clearly turned the head of Pearce, with the former England international selecting the holding midfielder ahead of the claims of rival candidates such as Steven Gerrard, Joe Hart, Gareth Barry and James Milner.
Redknapp is widely expected to be named as Capello's long-term successor with the Three Lions, which could see Parker remain as the team's on-field leader for the Euro 2012 finals in Poland and Ukraine this summer.
Pearce hinted that Parker was in the frame earlier in the week, when he admitted that the man voted his country's Player of the Year by the fans had been 'outstanding' for England over the past 12 months.

Source link: Parker 'named England captain' | England Football Team News, Fixtures, Results | Sky Sports

Would have been my choice too.

Right choice for me. Heard a lot of people wanting Gerrard to be captain but personally he hasn't been performing lately. Parker will lead by example and will be a good captain.

Perfect choice considering the squad. He is one of the most senior, and probably the most natural leader in there.

Gerrard is not the player/man he was 4 years ago! Parker all the way!

So much drama over who's going to captain England for one game.. Reason #183 why I hate the English media.

Gerrard is not the player/man he was 4 years ago! Parker all the way!

Gerrard is still an amazing player and good leader, For Liverpool. It would not have been fair at all to give it to him due to his lack of game time this season (He has barely played compared to Parker). Parker maybe the same age as Gerrard, but he is not part of the golden generation and I think we can all agree that Rio, Terry and Gerrard have had there chance and Parker is a step in the right direction.

In the grand scheme of things this is one of the least important things. Maybe the media might actually talk about things like system and approach, you know, the things that win or lose you games?

Who gives a **** whos ******* capitan ? Parker is fine choice. Gerrard would be fine too. Now, lets see how England gets trashed* tonight.
*Is Rooney playing ?

Good call if you ask me. He is one of the reasons Spurs have done well this year. He has strengthened our midfield and can lead. People can go on about tactics and stuff but you need someone who can also lead a team on the pitch which is also integral to the scheme of things.

Who gives a **** whos ******* capitan ? Parker is fine choice. Gerrard would be fine too. Now, lets see how England gets trashed* tonight.
*Is Rooney playing ?

Rooney is out with a throat infection apparentley.

Good call if you ask me. He is one of the reasons Spurs have done well this year. He has strengthened our midfield and can lead. People can go on about tactics and stuff but you need someone who can also lead a team on the pitch which is also integral to the scheme of things.

If Scott Parker wasnt wearing the armband, he'd still be doing it, talking and communicating, as its a vital part of his role as a player anyway. That isnt what makes him the player he is, the band is pretty irrelevant. If Gerrard had got it, Parker would go about his job anyway. The important thing here is Parker as the player, not Parker and the band.

If Scott Parker wasnt wearing the armband, he'd still be doing it, talking and communicating, as its a vital part of his role as a player anyway. That isnt what makes him the player he is, the band is pretty irrelevant. If Gerrard had got it, Parker would go about his job anyway. The important thing here is Parker as the player, not Parker and the band.

Not getting into another debate with you Mike. Its an opinion that I have wether it is right or wrong. You just seem to think you are right all the time.

Not getting into another debate with you Mike. Its an opinion that I have wether it is right or wrong. You just seem to think you are right all the time.

Not really, its just my view point. If he wasnt wearing would Parker shrink from his role? You've seen him playing all year so you know the answer would be no. The armband doesn't make him some leader, he has that naturally. He doesnt need an armband to be influential. So the whole debate on giving it to him is moot.

Parker strengthens the midfield with his pressing, ability to defend the space and win the ball, then move it quickly to his partners with short accurate passing, while constantly communcating in attack or defence, that is what will make him important vs Holland. He does that with or without an armband. Which is why for me, the armband is irrelevant.

Last edited:
It's how the players perform on the pitch that is far more significant than a band of cloth on one's arm. If you can't be bothered to sell yourself to play in the future, when you pull on the England shirt, in a friendly against a stronger opposition, you don't deserve to play for your country.

Why should an international player need another team mate to motivate them to play for their country?

Status
Not open for further replies.