Pass and Move Project: Exciting, Attacking Possession Tactic

pala

Reaction score
Hi!
First I would like to introduce myself. I'm playing Football manager since 2008, however I have only started been active in this forum in the last year, contributing posts to the site. Until this version, I was somewhat a typical user, searching for the best tactic available and and plug'n'play it till I win everything!
This year I decided to play FM to it's full potential, and eventually create my own, first tactic to be uploaded, which is mainly the reason I am giving a small introduction as I am probably unknown here. Since I am die hard Liverpool fan, I have tried to create many passing / possession tactics related. Out of my obsession for Tiki Taka I decided to move on to the good old glory system of Liverpool, pass and move. It's of a same relation - yet it's still different.
Before I move on to the tactics, I wanted to give big credits to users such as
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-move-epl-fa-cup-champs-league-dominance.html http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...**-better-halfs-tactic-upload-discussion.html, http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...langvatns-tactic-thread-updated-13-3-3-a.html] and http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ure-attacking-tactic-top-teams-underdogs.html (especially). I have analyzed and studied most of their posts and tactics and all of my knowledge is credited to these guys. I won't post the tactic without credits, as there are a few people who deserve it. This tactic was built from scratch and numerous saves and testing, and hours of Googling, reading and searching to get the best possible results, both performance and playing style. I'm sure it's not perfect, but nothing is, and I'm confident it's simply, great.

bvjnhgtnmdkk.jpg
zhinydznd2x1.png

So what's pass and move? It's the Liverpool grove! Pass and Move is a team offensive - possession - passing based tactic. It relays on putting high pressure on the opponent and winning the ball as fast as possible, and making consistent fast movement and runs with the ball once the ball is yours, making and finding space, spraying short passes and building up attacks from scratch. The passing system is simple - as soon as the ball has come into possession, they need to quickly decide whether to pass it or not. If they don't pass it, they need to move with it; if they do pass it, they again need to move along, following the general ball movement. This means that the players usually don't stay stationary and look to find and create space for more opportunities.

This tactic provides exciting, attacking based football, with great defense ( 6 goals conceded in 17 matchs with zero loses). This tactic is RESEMBLES Tiki Taka, it provides great possession, but it is NOT about fully dominating games!

So this is the tactic:

Explanation:

The tactic is based on offensive team effort - the entire team is required to contribute in both offense and defense.The team is expected to put high pressure on the opponent and win the ball as fast as they can, and try to build up attacks from short passes and quick passes, while also having the option to think before they pass - to allow better passing decisions. They have the
permission to roam from the position and create opportunities with creative freedom. The team uses a high defensive line for more pressure on the opponent, and is playing wide to allow space for better passing and creation results.

Also, I have put a lot of efforts on the set-pieces in this tactic, and you will score a-lot from them. So if you want fantastic results, have some good set piece takers and tall/heading defenders. you will score lots and concede little.

The tactic is used for both Away and Home. It's a balanced tactic that any team with any reputation can be used as it is effective in both lines - attack and defense. It can be tweaked to a more offensive version and defensive version, however the offense itself is pretty deadly, really.

Don't expect fast results! This is not a plug-and play tactic!
This philosophy requires time to fully work. although results should come immediately, it's still required to have the correct players, attributes, PPM's, shouts and training to make it an unstoppable beast.

Important players and positions:

This is a team based tactic, so the entire team selection is important for the tactic, however in the end I feel like the Trequartistaand the striker are of the most important players on the pitch, especially the trequartista. He is responsible for both creation and end product, therefore it's safe to say for this tactic to fly you need a pretty good player there. The striker is also an important player as the team won't be scared to put the odd ball to the striker. Deadly!

There are many many important attributes for the players, so I will be more specific. For the entire team, it's based advised to have high Technique, Passing, First Touch, Teamwork, Work rate, Decisions, Stamina and Off the Ball. Helpful attributes: Determination, Creativity, Concentration, Pace.

Ball-playing Defender:He is the creative defender of the two. He is expected to make he is expected to make few key passes and help build up attacks from the defense: Technique, Passing, Creativity, bravery, concentration, strength, jumping. heading A good heading defender/s are great. they will score a lot from this tactic.

Defensive Midfielder:The reason I put the Defensive Midfielder closer to the left is to help the left side contribute with the defense. Both my fullback and winger are playing high in the pitch resulting in space that can be exploited by the opponent. The DM helps me cover that area. Important attributes Tackling, Technique, Passing, Marking, Bravery.

Fullbacks:Both fullbacks are eventually pretty similar while the left fullback is just a little more attacking than the other. That means that offensive attributes are advised, but not a must. for lower team the left fullback can be changed to a supporting role. Passing, Creativity, Crossing, Pace.

Deep-Lying Playmaker: This player is more of an Box-to-Box player. The reason I didn't put him in that role is I wanted him to sit deeper while it didn't allow me that with the B2B role. He is expected to link up between the defense and the attack and provide cover in the middle of the pitch. Best overall attributes are the best ( as well as training him to box to box in the training section). The more overall he is, the better. Technique, First Touch, Off the Ball, Creativity, Decisions, bravery, stamina. Underdog teams can put him as a DLP defend if they struggle.

Wingers: Both wingers are similar, while the differences are the right winger have more defensive duties, and is more of a traditional winger, and the left winger is more creative, spraying passes and supporting the players around him (mostly the FB, T and the striker will be close to him) I decided to make the left winger an AP as I felt another IF will make the opposition's box too crowded and his positions is close enough to make deadly support to the T, FB and the striker, resulting in an effective link up. He can be changed to another traditional winger though. Creativity, Pace, Technique, Decisions, First touch, work rate, teamwork for the AP, and Pace, Dribbling, finishing, crossing, passing, stamina for the right winger.

Trequartista:
This is the main focal of your attack! Players are expected to pass either to him or to the striker, but he is expected to make every thing tick, contribute key passes, link the players from each position, and simply score. He is one of your most important players! Attributes: Pace, Dribbling, Decisions, Creativity, Finishing, First Touch, Passing, Off the Ball, Technique and more.

Central Forward:
Oh how effective he is. He receives passes from everything, is there to finish up left overs from shots, contributes to the build up play and receives an odd long ball to create something out of nothing. Important attributes: Offthe Ball, Finishing, Creativity, Technique, Dribbling, Strength, First Touch.
also helpful: Jumping and Heading.

How to maximize the tactic to it's potential:

Shouts, Training and Player Preferred Moves!

This is the shouts setup I use at the start of the match:

The shouts are very crucial to ensure the correct style of play!

Training

Should be set to Team Cohesion Very High at the start of the season until the tactic is fluid, then switch to Attacking. Match preparation should be set on attacking movement. There is almost no need to use set pieces preparations, as I put a lot of efforts on the set pieces. The training in the season should be Attacking, Att. Movement, average intensity with 20% match preparation.
Individual players should be set to their roles, or a specific attributes they lack which is important for the role.

Player preferred movement:

This is THE way to improve performance for your team and improve the play style. no player can have all the PPM's you want, but having at least some of them is very helpful. I would even say crucial.

Defenders:
Play simple passing game
Fullbacks:
Look for the pass rather than shot
Avoid using your weakest foot
Switch to the opposite flank
play simple passing game
Midfielders(DLP+DM):
Play Simple Passing game
Look for the pass rather than shot
Stay back
Dictate tempo
Play One-two's
Look for killer ball

Come deep to get ball
Wingers:
Play One-two's
Place shots

Go round keeper
Trequartista:
Play his way out of trouble
Dictate tempo
look for killer ball
place shots

come deep to get ball
Striker:
Place shots
play one-two's

go round keeper

*PPM's marked in purple are the most important

Well...Err...This is it I think? Now time for some little results. I planned to post a full Season with Liverpool and provide the results but due to time It's not possible for me at the moment. I will post results from an old unsuccessful save I had. It produced some incredible display. I promise next week to provide better results, but I also hope you will help me test this tactic!

View attachment 473683View attachment 473689View attachment 473688View attachment 473687View attachment 473686View attachment 473685View attachment 473684View attachment 473682

As you can see in the match table, this is a season I started after some very poo results I had. I started this tactic from the Swansea game after 5 loses and 3 draws. Eventual League results: 15 wins, 2 draws, 0 loses. Out of those results, I conceded 6 goals only! Sadly, I couldn't make the treble due to injuries to Coutinho, Lamela, Suarez and Sterling...:( In the end depth role me over. Honestly, I didn't have the best team, so the results looks very good.

View attachment 473681View attachment 473680View attachment 473679View attachment 473678View attachment 473677

Don't forget half those stats were from an unsuccessful and unproductive save, so the stats can be twice as good.

Please test this tactic and provide your results! Thanks. ;)

**Version 4.6 uploaded. Changes:
-Changed the trequartista to be both playmaker and targetman
-Changed fullbacks roles
-made the keeper distribute the ball to the BPD
-Changed the AP(S) to a typical winger

Last edited:
Nice layout and opening post mate :) looks an interesting tactic i shall try it when get a chance.

look sick! amazing tactic! will try it with Liverpool... i'm a liverpool fan as well! good job!

I tested this tactic using "Mr. Langvatn's" Testing template and here are the results (TEAM A):

View attachment 473509

View attachment 473508

View attachment 473507

View attachment 473506

View attachment 473505

View attachment 473504

GSPG = 1.57
GAPG = 0.57

GSPG @H = 2.07
GAPG @H = 0.50

GSPG @A = 1.07
GAPG @A = 0.64

Not a TOP tactic but a good one. A tactic that is possession based A clear difference using this tactic at home compared to away. Only 2 losses with this test which is real good. The problem was the draws and it was mostly away from home. Great defensively though!

The CM/DM in a few of the games reached over 100 passes each. The ST scored goals and led the league also. The MR lead the league in assists.

Hey thanks!!! Is there any way I can compare the results with other tactics? Would like to see the differences between this and other top tactics.
And wow the loses are very impressive. :p Drawing are maybe due to high possession!

Might give this a try, need a rm though for a Roma save
Hey
You can change the players positions accordingly to your players. A left striker might suit better positioned in the right slot (making the amc more left, and the opposite).

heres how the 'Forever Real Madrid' tactic did

hey all,

I tested this tactic using "Mr. Langvatn's" Testing template and here are the results (TEAM A):

Click image for larger version Name: Tactic Testing League_ Overview Stages.png Views: 339 Size: 243.5 KB ID: 383627

Click image for larger version Name: Tactic Testing League_ Overview Stages-2.png Views: 324 Size: 241.3 KB ID: 383628

Click image for larger version Name: Tactic Testing League_ Overview Stages-3.png Views: 323 Size: 241.3 KB ID: 383629

Click image for larger version Name: Team A_ Report Goals.png Views: 319 Size: 631.3 KB ID: 383630

Click image for larger version Name: Team A_ Team Players.png Views: 321 Size: 386.4 KB ID: 383631

Click image for larger version Name: Team E v Team A_ Analysis Performance.png Views: 320 Size: 498.1 KB ID: 383632

GSPG = 2.17
GAPG = 0.89

GSPG @H = 2.57
GAPG @H = 0.78

GSPG @A = 1.78
GAPG @A = 1.00

ahhh didnt work haha, its on the thread anyways on page 4or5 i think if u want to compare

think it did slightly better mate

heres how the 'Forever Real Madrid' tactic did

hey all,

Click image for larger version Name: Tactic Testing League_ Overview Stages.png Views: 339 Size: 243.5 KB ID: 383627

Click image for larger version Name: Tactic Testing League_ Overview Stages-2.png Views: 324 Size: 241.3 KB ID: 383628

Click image for larger version Name: Tactic Testing League_ Overview Stages-3.png Views: 323 Size: 241.3 KB ID: 383629

Click image for larger version Name: Team A_ Report Goals.png Views: 319 Size: 631.3 KB ID: 383630

Click image for larger version Name: Team A_ Team Players.png Views: 321 Size: 386.4 KB ID: 383631

Click image for larger version Name: Team E v Team A_ Analysis Performance.png Views: 320 Size: 498.1 KB ID: 383632

GSPG = 2.17
GAPG = 0.89

GSPG @H = 2.57
GAPG @H = 0.78

GSPG @A = 1.78
GAPG @A = 1.00

ahhh didnt work haha, its on the thread anyways on page 4or5 i think if u want to compare

think it did slightly better mate
Could mean a lot of things! Possession tactics are not plug and play and require a correct setup and time.

Could mean a lot of things! Possession tactics are not plug and play and require a correct setup and time.

There is no plug and play this year, all tactics require the correct setup and time this year mate

Plz, tell me how to use shouts in this tactic.
Also if player has PPM's are not in list we must unlearn them? Like CB's 'to dive into tackles' .

Plz, tell me how to use shouts in this tactic.
Also if player has PPM's are not in list we must unlearn them? Like CB's 'to dive into tackles' .
You have the shouts section in the tactics, create a bunch of shouts in one group, then in the opposition talk, just before the start of the match, and just after the opposition instructions, use the shouts.
For the PPM's, it's best advised to first concentrate on learning the important ppm's first, then once all players have the required / some aren't capable for most, then it's a good idea to unlearn unnecessary ppm's. Looking forward for further testing to improve the version. GL!

Thx. Can you post important attr to Central Defender and GK?

Last edited:
Thx. Can you post important attr to Central Defender?
A typical good defender. Look at players similar (no necessarily as good) to Sakho, Agger, Alderwieled. Most important stats should be Technique, Passing, Stamina, Team work, pace. defenders with good heading abilities are great.

So I would take 2 best BPD from others defenders and put to BPD-position better defender from this 2?
And you didnt mention tacklin, marking - attr. Is it reasonable to defenders?
How could I choose GK?

So I would take 2 best BPD from others defenders and put to BPD-position better defender from this 2?
And you didnt mention tacklin, marking - attr. Is it reasonable to defenders?
How could I choose GK?
That's possible. If you have a defender who isn't much of a BPD, you can slot him in the CD. If you have none and you can't get any, then change the role to a CD (usually for underdogs who are limited with players). The other attributes are attributes that most of the 'decent' defenders have. What I was looking for is looking at extra attributes who are often overlooked, attributes who are important for the system.
And a GK..I don't have much preference..Whatever you like I think. :p

Did anyone have such a result before?