"Pass it shorther" & "Fewer risky passes"

Desmond91

Reaction score
What is the difference between instructions "pass it shorter" and "fewer risky passes"?

-The first indicates that the player will take short passes with a patient approach (so to retain possession)
-The second indicates that the player will retain its ownership without trying verticalizations (so make short passes)

It's not the same thing?

For example:

How do I tell to my ball playing defender to make short passes (without risk) but verticalize when he sees the movement of the winger?

Its not the same. The difference between short passing and drect is, in direct.your players will prefer to pass more into space, aka to a player in a better attacking position. Short passing refers to a patient 'direct' passing to a team mate until there is a penetration. 'Fewer risky passes' is the throught ball version of fm13, where while you instruct your players to take a patient approach, they will try to break it more often by trying to make key passes. Often results with lose of possession if not used currectly. If you want your defender to pick its right moment, have him on BPL role and pick a defender with the correct attributes( passing, decision, teamwork, technique) and he'll be what you ask.

p.s i explained 'more risky passes' by mistake but you get the point i think.

The most important attributes For Risky passess are 5 : Flair...Decisions...Creativity...Anticipation...And Passing

"Pass it shorter" is more of a style of play. The team passes it shorter amongst themselves as you know and hardly play long balls from any position.
"Fewer risky passes" is something you do in the final third. In the opponent's half, instead of providing a killer ball(be it short or long), you look to pass to a team mate who is in space and look for some defensive lapses and take advantage of that.

The perfect example of a team who play it short and Risk free is Barca. Only after a mistake from the opposition or a clever run by a winger do they provide the final ball to be tucked into the back of the net.