StuRat

Reaction score
Ok so, im pretty new to this game, never played football manager previously. I have done ok so far, managed to get port vale automatic promotion from league 2.

My biggest issue though is my team seems to struggle with finishing and passing. Against decent teams the passing fails miserably, i have found that against lower teams or teams about my port vales level, the passing is adequate and sometimes flawless. Finishing is still always an issue. No matter how much training ive put into the boys they seem to miss so many shots.

What do people suggest, i dont really have much funding to buy new players, the players i have bought/kept i have picked the ones with the best attributes in those areas but it just doesnt seem to matter :/

I am probably just missing something really obvious and basic, but thems the breaks with utter noobs like me! :D

well if i were u i would just give them alot of passing and shooting pratice or just try to buy new players with high shooting rating :)

Do your players have a decent enough decisions attribute? Maybe they're good passers but they're not that good at making decisions and end up being sloppy, letting the opposition intercept poor passes and such. About the finishing, well, I'll have to agree with you there... I'm missing lots of 1 on 1s, I'd even dare say it's been easier for me to score from a set piece than from open play.

Decent teams with decent managers with decent tactical knowledge are closing down your players a lot. If you play versus a much stronger team they won't even let you near their half unless you are playing very direct, but very direct passing is also bad for posession.
So if you want good posession % when playing vs strong teams your players should have: good passing, good decisions(as Athe~ mentioned), good concentration and good composure. You can also add good first touch. Also check their individual passing bars - the more "lonely" your player's position is(i.e. he doesn't have many nearby options for a short pass) the more direct his passing should be.

Train your striker for finishing PPMs if you have problems with finishing. For example a striker with good dribbling and speed could try to go round the keeper, a striker with good technique could try to lob the keeper, a player with good first touch and good shooting could try first-time shots, a player with good technique but low height could try overhead kicks(Rooney vs Man City!), placing shots in the corner of the net is great for a striker with mediocre long shots. I never train them to shoot with power but you might try it if one of your players have outstanding long shots attr. Also you could consider allowing long shots "sometimes" only to players with 15+ long shots attribute.
I hope my opinion has been beneficial to you! :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, useful. I seem to have stopped the bleeding a little. The players still suck at finishing haha but really they are not of the quality to drill goal after goal. My biggest problem is trying to juggle the wages! Port Vale has such a small budget, really hevily relying on loans and young players who cost ****** all p/w. Have talked a lot of the senior players into lower wages :p but will have to sell some off. Was in a relegation battle in league 1, but have now strung an 11 game unbeaten streak to pull myself into 14th posi. Still only 7 points above relegation, but at least the pressure on my job has eased :p

look at the match analysis tool
that should help you with passing and shoot selection