MonagHusker

Reaction score
Like many things with FM, the answer is likely "it depends," but I am hoping for some general discussion.

One of my first Youth Intakes had a superstar in the making, who I have kept close and played as much as possible. At 19, he is almost a regular on my first team squad (he sometimes splits time with a couple other players).

He is a really good passer and I wanted to see if I could make more use of that. Would a good passer be someone that could or should have player instructions that indicate to pass more directly or perform more risky passes?

What do you do with your better passers?

You're right. It depends. You can give him more direct passes, but are there players to receive it? If they do, do they have support? You can give him risky passes, but does he have players to feed? It all depends on your tactic and the role you expect him to play.

I don't give my better passers any special treatment, unless they really stand out and I may look at using him as a playmaker, but even then he needs a host of mental attributes before I make such a decision.

I obviously wouldn't give a poor passer a playmaker role.

Its not just about the passing stat, its also about technique and flair and vision.

he could have really high passing but that just means he will have high passing accuracy but that could just be sideways and back.

decent vision and technique allow for nice long cross field paul scholes on a dime passing

but if you throw flair in as well and train the technique of tries killer balls often you get messi type through the eye of a passes on decent through balls for your strikers to run onto.

so as you said "it depends" because its not just the player in questions stats its the players he is passing to you need to thing about. killer balls/through balls you need good off the ball movement and pace. cross field passes to your wingers are useless without a decent first touch because they wont be able to control it and it will go out of play.

this is the reason why i love fm, to be perfect you have to bring everything together.

hope that helped.

You're right. It depends. You can give him more direct passes, but are there players to receive it? If they do, do they have support? You can give him risky passes, but does he have players to feed? It all depends on your tactic and the role you expect him to play.

I don't give my better passers any special treatment, unless they really stand out and I may look at using him as a playmaker, but even then he needs a host of mental attributes before I make such a decision.

I obviously wouldn't give a poor passer a playmaker role.

Thanks for your input!

Its not just about the passing stat, its also about technique and flair and vision.

he could have really high passing but that just means he will have high passing accuracy but that could just be sideways and back.

decent vision and technique allow for nice long cross field paul scholes on a dime passing

but if you throw flair in as well and train the technique of tries killer balls often you get messi type through the eye of a passes on decent through balls for your strikers to run onto.

so as you said "it depends" because its not just the player in questions stats its the players he is passing to you need to thing about. killer balls/through balls you need good off the ball movement and pace. cross field passes to your wingers are useless without a decent first touch because they wont be able to control it and it will go out of play.

this is the reason why i love fm, to be perfect you have to bring everything together.

hope that helped.

Thanks! Both responses really helped. It is a game that is SO deep! It is easy to spend all of your time only focusing on a small part of the game.