Patrick Vieira - from Midfielder to Manager

View attachment 194089

January was another really pleasing month as we get back to having an unbeaten month again ...

View attachment 194085

We stayed unbeaten but had a couple of disappointing draws.

There were some ridiculous results as we drew 3-3 with Watford and 4-4 against Brighton as well as beating Norwich 5-3.

I don't think we've ever scored as many goals in a single month (18 in 6 games) but we also conceded far too many (10 in 6 games).

With us picking up 11 points from a possible 15, we maintained 2nd spot ...

View attachment 194086

As expected, Chelsea overtook us to claim top spot.

Disappointingly though is that they still have 2 games in hand as they look as strong as ever.

We're already 15 points clear of 5th which should see us claim a top 4 finish quite comfortably.

With the results and table out the way, its time to tell you about the one and only transfer made before deadline day ...

View attachment 194084

We agree a deal for Man City to sign out of favour midfielder, Andre Gomes for £20 million.

Gomes was well down the pecking order and kept asking for a move every few weeks so I was pleased to bring in a decent amount for him.

The transfer deadline finished tomorrow and I fully intend to spend the full £20 million we brought in from the Gomes deal.​

View attachment 194082

View attachment 1005129

Deadline day today and I was desperate to improve the squad defensively.

It didn't take long for me to do so ...

View attachment 194081

We spent just over £12 million on Jack Butland from local rivals, Tottenham.

Butland was very much second choice at Spurs and that's exactly what he'll be here. I'm concerned about our 'keeper position with Petr Cech due to retire at the end of the season and Gerónimo Rulli not performing and wanting a move away.

Butland will be backup to Cech and depending on his form could take the number 1 shirt next season.

View attachment 194080

With the hours ticking by and only a couple left, we made 1 last deal ...

View attachment 194079

Éder Álvarez Balanta signs from Shakhtar Donetsk after only spending one season there.

These two transfers just goes to show how difficult it is to sign good players in the January window. Both are good players and will improve the squad but neither are really 'stand out'.

Balanta will battle it out with Mertesacker to parter Laporte at center back. Mertesacker's form has really dropped so he has a good chance to take his starting place.

View attachment 194077

View attachment 194076

FEBRUARY

After a good January we went into February full of confidence ...

View attachment 194075

Another good month but one really damaging loss to table topping Chelsea.

Victory over Stoke in the Fa Cup made sure we enter into the draw for the 5th round where we'll play Sheffield Wednesday.

We also beat Rubin Kazan in the Europa League with relative ease and drew Roma in the next round ...

View attachment 194073

Defeat to Chelsea was the only disappointed and really put an end to our title hopes ...

View attachment 194074

With us only playing 2 league games during February (and us losing 1 of those), we drop down to 3rd in the league, behind both Chelsea and Man City.

We're now 12 points behind leaders Chelsea which seems a lot at this stage of the season.​

View attachment 194072

MARCH

We enter March again with confidence as we try to reclaim our spot in the league from Man City.

View attachment 194071

We've got to be happy with this.

We changed system slightly as I was getting concerned over the amount of goals we were conceding. We didn't dominate games like we did at the start of the season but more importantly, we got the results.

Well in every game apart from the Southampton tie in the Fa Cup we did.

Southampton out played us and deserved to make it to the Semi Final where they'll take on Championship side Charlton. This was our best chance of winning silverware this season with only Man Utd being the only quality side left in the competition now.

Most pleasing though was our result as we got past Roma in the Europa League by dominating Roma over two legs.

This win ensured we went into the draw for the Quarter Final ...

View attachment 194069

Dortmund over 2 legs it is. There's still a few good sides in the competition but the best possible draw saw PSG take on Bayern which means one will be knocked out in time for the semi final.

One of those 2 will make the final I'm sure, I just hope it's us that they're playing in it.

Again, we only played 3 league games but won them all so we move back into 2nd in the league ...

View attachment 194070

We're now 2 points clear of Man City as we re-take 2nd spot.

We're still someway behind leaders Chelsea though as they're lead at the top was extended to 13 points. We do now have 2 games in hand though which could move us to within 7 points. But with only 10 games of the season left I really can't see us catching them.​

View attachment 193604

APRIL

View attachment 193603

April was much more of an 'up and down' month for us with us suffering a couple of really poor defeats.

The started well by winning the first 3 games of the month, including a brilliant 3-2 victory over Tottenham which meant we did the double over Tottenham in the league.

We then suffered a poor 1-0 defeat to Dortmund in the 1st leg but managed to turn it around in the away leg by beating Dortmund 2-0 in their own back yard. This was one of the most impressive displays of the season against a very good Dortmund side challenging for the German title.

We also lost to Stoke and old club Newcastle in the final league games of the month.

The defeat to Stoke saw my unbeaten home record come to an end. We'd gone 14 home games unbeaten at Arsenal plus 23 unbeaten at Newcastle but now sadly this 37 game record comes to an end.

I was also disappointed to lose to Newcastle but I'm pleased their doing pretty well and kept the majority of the big players there.

Despite losing a couple in the league we still managed to hang on to 2nd place ...

View attachment 193602

The title has gone, not mathematically but certainly realistically.

Chelsea only need another 4 points from their remaining 4 games to make sure of their 3rd title win in a row, this is because of their goal difference which adds as another point!

We're 4 clear of 3rd spot which Tottenham just happen to be holding on to.

The aim for the rest of the season has to be to keep hold of second place and finish above Spurs.​

Last edited:
View attachment 193594

MAY

View attachment 193590

May was another busy month for us which again saw a couple of defeats but the important games were won.

The big games this month were the Europa League Semi Final against Braga. Fortunately we got through with ease really.

There were disappointing losses to both Aston Villa and Liverpool although both were played with second string teams with the Europa League ties in mind afterwards.

The final game of the month to be played tomorrow is the Europa League final where we play French champions PSG.

The biggest game of the season and probably one of the toughest as well.

We need to win this otherwise my record will be 3 finals, 3 defeats!

With the Premier League done and dusted, the final table looked like this ...

View attachment 193589

As expected, we kept hold of 2nd place but finished a huge 13 points behind eventual winners Chelsea.

Tottenham dropped down to 4th to clinch the final Champions League spot with Man City and Liverpool missing out, Liverpool missing out on the Europa League as well with Newcastle finishing 1 goal in front of them.

With league action finished, all our attention is now put towards the Europa League final to play next.

Chelsea ripped the league to be fair, no shame in second place to a 93 point season winner!

Hopefully summer transfers work out better than January!

It has to be the most addictive game out there. I'm really liking this years as well, big improvement I think :)

After I've tried Witcher 3 a couple of days ago and as I already have 60+ hours of gameplay...it's definitely not the most addictive game. :D

Chelsea ripped the league to be fair, no shame in second place to a 93 point season winner!

Hopefully summer transfers work out better than January!

Yeah, hopefully they can drop off a little next season! Hopefully mate, especially if the board give us another £60/£70 million :)

After I've tried Witcher 3 a couple of days ago and as I already have 60+ hours of gameplay...it's definitely not the most addictive game. :D

Hahaha, I'd throw Fallout in there as well :)

View attachment 192000

View attachment 192002
View attachment 192001

Here we are then, the final game of the season and the Europa League final between us and French champions, PSG. As Bt Sport are covering the game, I thought I’d leave this part up to them …

View attachment 191997

Jake Humphrey – Hello and welcome to one of the biggest European nights of the season as we see Arsenal take on French giants, PSG in the Europa League final.

I’m joined today by former England and Premier League stars, Michael Owen, David James and Steve McManaman.

How do we all see the game going today then?

Steve McManaman – I see a very tight game which could go all the way and into extra time. PSG probably just shade it for me.

David James – I agree with Macca that it could go all the way but for, Arsenal have the strongest squad and should win it narrowly today.

Michael Owen – Arsenal worry me as I find, if they don’t score then they hardly ever win!

Jake Humphrey – Thanks for that Michael.

Anyway, the teams news is now in so let’s see how the sides line up …

View attachment 191992

So, who do we all see as potential match winners today?

Steve McManaman – It has to be between Andre Silva and Robert Lewandowski for me. Whichever of these two perform the best will be on the winning side today.

David James – I agree that these two are the standout players but I can also see Angel Di Maria playing a big part. He didn’t perform during his time in the Premier League and Man Utd but has been a totally different player in Ligue 1. He’ll have a real point to prove today! It will be up to Hector Bellerin to stop him.

Michael Owen – I think who ever scores the winning goal will be the match winner today.

Jake Humphrey – Well that’s enough from us, lets join the commentary team as we prepare for kick off …

View attachment 191989

1”
PSG start things off here and an audacious attempt by Andre Silva form the half way line straight from kick off. His effort though goes harmlessly wide.

4”
Some sustained pressure here by PSG as Arsenal have hardly got out of their own area yet. Di Maria walked through the Arsenal defence and into the penalty area. Per Mertesacker then launched in with a mis-timed tackle and gave away a penalty.

View attachment 191988

5”
Former Chelsea star, David Luiz immediately takes the ball and puts it on the penalty spot … and sends Petr Cech the wrong way to put the French giants 1-0.

View attachment 191987

View attachment 191986

8”
Arsenal looking like a beaten side now after going 1-0 down so early. Lucas Moura this time getting the better of Per Mertesacker as he gets his effort on goal which is well saved by Cech.

9”
PSG still seem well on top as another chance goes begging, this time Andre Silva the guilty party missing the target from 6 yards.

12”
Yet another shot on goal from PSG from Andre Silva which is saved well by Cech and then cleared by Laporte out for a corner.

13”
The resulting corner came in and aimed at Thiago Silva who beat Laporte in goal to head home from short range.

View attachment 191985

View attachment 191984

14”
The PSG fans go wild as if they’re already lifting the trophy. We’re in danger of this becoming seriously embarrassing for Arsenal now.

20”
A calmer 5 minutes or so now as PSG seem to have taken their foot off the gas slightly. Arsenal still nowhere in this game yet and still haven’t registered an effort on goal.

29”
A first shot on goal from Arsenal. Robert Lewandowski shooting from distance which went high and wide and brought sarcastic cheers from the crowd.

35”
Another attempt on goal from PSG as Angel Di Maria skips past Hector Bellerin and takes a shot from a wide right position which Cech does well to parry wide and out for a corner.

41”
Robert Lewandowski now with another effort on goal, this time from closer range and forces a save from the goalkpeer who parried it out for a corner.

42”
The corner floated in by Alexis Sacnchez is easily headed out by a dominant Thiago Silva.

View attachment 191983

MORE TO FOLLOW ...

View attachment 191502

We pick up the coverage back with Bt Sport after a shocking first half performance which saw us 2-0 down and totally out of the game and out of idea ...

View attachment 191501

Jake Humphrey – Well, that was some first half! What did we all make of it?

Steve McManaman – I’m seriously struggling to believe what I’ve just seen! Arsenal have hardly had a touch. That’s so unlike them.

David James – I’ve not seen Arsenal look so poor all season. They’ve offered nothing going forward and have looked seriously shakey at the back.

Michael Owen – Arsenal will definitely have to score now to get anything out the game.

Jake Humphrey – Yes Michael, we all gathered that!

But seriously, this has to be the biggest team talk of Vieira’s career doesn’t it?

Steve McManaman – Without a doubt. This is his biggest game in management and the players have totally let him down so far. I really can’t see them getting back into this.

David James – I think Vieira should be worried if the players don’t give him a performance second half, not just worried about the result here but his career going forward. If he loses here today then his record will be 3 cup finals and 3 defeats at 3 different clubs. That smacks as a losers mentality if you ask me.

Michael Owen – For it to be Vieira’s biggest team talk of his career then he’ll definitely have to talk to his players.

Jake Humphrey – Well that’s enough talking, lets see if Arsenal can produce one the biggest comebacks in football history.

View attachment 191494

SECOND HALF

48”
PSG start the second half just as they did the first with an early chance falling to Lucas Moura who blazes his shot high and wide from just inside the penalty area.

51”
A rare opportunity for Arsenal as Alexis Sanchez finally gets past his full back to pull back a cross for Aaron Ramsey who forces the ‘keeper into a decent save. A good move from Arsenal.

View attachment 191493

52”
The resulting header is met by Laporte who heads over the bar.

55”
Arsenal have started pushing everyone forward now and PSG exploit this with a long ball in behind their defence for Lucas Moura to run onto. He takes the ball on and strikes the ball which Cech parries away well. Arsenal really have to get the balance right now between attack and defence.

View attachment 191492

56”
The resulting corner is caught by Petr Cech who throws the ball long to Alex Oxlade-Chamerlain who runs unchallenged deep into the PSG half. He then played switched play and finds Alexis Sanchez with a searching ball Crossfield. Sanchez took the ball into the area and created half a yard of space to get his curling effort away. His effort started well wide but just curled in inside the far post to get Arsenal back in this tie.

View attachment 191491

View attachment 191490

58”
Arsenal seem to have found a new lease of life here as Alexis Sanchez once again beats his full back and gets a shot away but it was hit straight at the ‘keeper.

60”
PSG show that they are still a threat in this game with Angel Di Maria striking the ball from distance which Cech had to tip over the bar.

68”
Arsenal roll the dice by brining on Danny Welbeck, Theo Walcott and Anthony Martial on to try and salvage a second goal.

70”
This almost pays off straight away as Waloctt runs down the right and tries to shoot from a tight angle which he couldn’t direct on target. He’d have been much better crossing it there.

78”
The goal has really helped Arsenal as they look much more confident now and using the wide players much better.

81”
Ramsey makes a surging run to the edge of the box where he tries to play through Sanchez. The ball bounces about in the area for Oxlade-Chamerlain to mishit the ball and the ‘keeper easily saves. Much better from Arsenal though.

View attachment 191486

85”
A cross in by Oxlade-Chamberlain, met by the head of Ramsey who can’t direct his header goalwards.

86”
Arsenal go all out now by trowing Per Mertesacker upfront as a striker as they try and bombard the PSG box with areal balls.

88”
Yet another chance falls to Lewandowski from close range, this time the ‘keeper rushes out to smoother ball. Real pressure now from Arsenal.

90”
All these Arsenal attacks leave them vulnerable at the back with them playing Laporte as the only defender, Cech is also playing well outside his penalty area. Angel Di Maria tries to capitalise on this with an ambitious effort from his own half to lop the goalkeeper. Fortunately for Arsenal, and Cech, his effort drifts wide.

90”
The fourth official raises the board which states 2 minutes of injury time will be played.

90+2
A deep free-kick now for Arsenal inside their own half to be taken by Cech. There’s doubt about it, this is going high and long into the PSG penalty area. We’re about to hit the 2 minutes the referee signalled so this will be the last chance of the game.

View attachment 191485

90+2
The free-kick is aimed towards Per Mertesacker who rises to win the header over David Luiz, his header goes back across goal and Lewandowski manages to get a foot on it and beat the keeper!

Lewandowski scores! Arsenal equalise with the last kick of the game!!

The PSG players are distort, they look like they’ve lost. Arsenal meanwhile are celebrating as if they’ve won the game!

Manager, Patrick Vieira joins in with the players celebrating but the game hasn’t finished, there’s still extra time to play.

View attachment 191484

View attachment 191483

90+4
After a couple of minutes of Arsenal celebrating, PSG finally re-start the match only for the referee to signal full time.

FULL TIME

EXTRA TIME TO FOLLOW ...

Wow! What a comeback!! To score in the last minute, I hope they come out in extra time like they did this half!
Nice suspense you have created here I keep refreshing Fmbase!

Fantastic comeback! I must admit that after reading the first half report I was very worried and didn't think that you could turn things around but you've done an excellent job in proving me wrong

Wow! What a comeback!! To score in the last minute, I hope they come out in extra time like they did this half!
Nice suspense you have created here I keep refreshing Fmbase!

So do I mate! It will be tough though with such an attacking line up playing now. Haha, cheers man :) putting up the extra time now :)

Fantastic comeback! I must admit that after reading the first half report I was very worried and didn't think that you could turn things around but you've done an excellent job in proving me wrong

I didn't either, at half time I really thought it could end 4 or 5-0! Just shows you you're never out of a game :)

View attachment 190344

After doing brilliantly and equalising with pretty much the final kick of the game, our backs were up and couldn't wait for extra time. However, after throwing on 3 strikers, we now had a seriously unbalanced team with too many forwards on and all subs used.

We join Bt Sport ready for the final 30 minutes and possibly even penalties ...

View attachment 190342

Jake Humphrey – Wow! I don’t think many people saw that second half coming. Whilst the players are having a couple of minute rest, what did we think to that?

David James – That was brilliant, a brilliant fight back from Arsenal. They’re still second best but you’ve got to give them credit for drawing level.

Steve McManaman – I still don’t think they really deserve to be in the game but you saw how deflated the SPG players were there, Arsenal have to believe they can go on and win it now.

Michael Owen – Arsenal scored 2 goals which means we now play 30 more minutes.

Jake Humphrey – Who do you see going on to win this?

David James – I still think the quality of PSG will show through but I wouldn’t rule out penalties.

Steve McManaman – That second half really took it out of Arsenal, they look exhausted. I think if PSG can stay mentally tough then they’ll go and win still.

Michael Owen – The team who score more usually win.

Jake Humphrey – anyway, lets join the action after the players have all had a brief break.

View attachment 190341

92”
PSG look just as good here in extra time as Lucas Moura surges past Willems and fires into the side netting. There were parts of the Aviva stadium which thought that was in.

96”
Andre Silva managed to find half a yard of space to find a shot which was low and hard but no trouble for Cech.

99”
Arsenal now on a rare attack as Theo Walcott managed to get to the byline and into a crossing position. He stands the cross up towards the far post for Danny Welbeck to run onto and head home with power.
Arsenal take a 3-2 lead in extra time.

View attachment 190340

View attachment 190339

103”
PSG come forward yet again as Arsenal seem to be dropping deeper and deeper as they allow Veratti to run into their half and take an optimistic shot which drifts wide.

HALF TIME within extra time

108”
PSG on the front foot again but a great defensive display from Arsenal stop them getting a shot away.

109”
Arsenal looking seriously tired now as Walcott remains the only player forward.

114”
Arsenal try and launch a counter attack as a long ball tried to find Walcott as he looks to have the beating of David Luiz. Walcott wins the battle but scuffs his effort horribly wide.

119”
Desperate time now for PSG who already look beaten and lost for ideas.

120”
The fourth official announces 4 minutes of injury time to be played.

View attachment 190338

124”
The designated 4 minutes are now up but still PSG attack. A cross comes in from Lucas Moura which is aimed towards David Luiz … Petr Cech rises to collect the ball though and hangs onto it for as long as possible.

125”
Chech kicks the ball long upfield as far as he can with no one even chasing … and there it is, the final whistle.

ARSENAL WIN THE 2019 EUROPA LEAGUE FINAL.

View attachment 190335

View attachment 190337

View attachment 190336

View attachment 190342

Jake Humphrey – I’m struggling to believe what we’ve all witnessed there! Did anyone see that coming?

David James – Absolutely not! I thought Arsenal were done for in the first half. Even when they equalised I thought they’d used all their energy in trying to get the second goal.

Steve McManaman – I thought they’d really struggle in extra time with the attacking team they had out. They were playing 4 strikers as well as Sanchez and Oxlade-Chamberlain, I never thought I’d see Robert Lewandowski playing center half like he did in the last 10 minutes or so.

Michael Owen – I told you the team who scored more would win!

Jake Humphrey – Well after that, we can now speak with the match winner, Danny Welbeck.

View attachment 190332

Reporter – So Danny, what does that feel like?

Danny Welbeck – It feels amazing, I never even dreamt of anything like this. The lads are buzzing.

Reporter – Some are calling this the best comeback ever, what do you think?

Danny Welbeck – It has to be up there. We were so bad early on that PSG could have won it in the first half, I’m just pleased to be able to get the winning goal.

Reporter – You’re out of contract in the summer, is this a fitting send of? Or are you in talks to stay at the club?
Danny Welbeck – I don’t know. I haven’t played much football recently which needs to change. If I get this here then great, if not, then I guess I’ll have to move on.

Reporter – Thanks Danny, I’ll let you celebrate with the rest of the lads now.

Jake Humphrey – An honest view from Welbeck there, do any of you see a place for him in this Arsenal set up?

David James – I don’t if I’m honest. He’s a decent option off the bench but is never going to start in front of Lewandowski.

Steve McManaman – I agree with David, however if Arsenal do let him go then they’ll defiantly need a replacement for him as they’re already short on numbers upfront.

Michael Owen – The way Danny Welbeck spoke there, he’s either going to stay or leave.

Jake Humphrey – I’m hearing we can now talk with Arsenal manager, Patrick Vieira:

View attachment 190330

Reporter – Patrick, an amazing comeback there. What do you put it down to?

Patrick Vieira – We have an amazing team spirit which certainly helped. We also played some good stuff towards the end of normal time.

Reporter – PSG had more efforts on goal and more possession, do you think you were lucky to lift the trophy tonight?

Patrick Vieira – There's obviously an element of luck as PSG missed a couple of really good chances but I have to be delighted with the way we dug in and got the result.

Reporter – Congratulations Patrick, I'll let you get off and celebrate with the players now.​

View attachment 189947

The Europa League win against PSG not only signalled the long wait for silverware as a manager but also an end to the 2018/2019.

As always, there were a couple of other managerial changes during the summer:

View attachment 189942

Bayern Munich has a shocker for their high standards, finishing 4th and missing out on the Champions League.

View attachment 189941

It allowed Dortmund to clinch the title on the final day of the season.

Bayern acted quickly for a replacement though:

View attachment 189943

Carlo Ancelotti comes back to the Alianz arena where he managed the club between 2016-2018 where he won the title in his first season but then endured a disappointing season after that, finishing 4th before being sacked immediately after.

He was at Liverpool last season but managed less than 2 months in charge as he left the club in 12th position in the league and some way off the top 4. He's got a big challenge at Bayern though as they finished 4th and missed out on the Champions League for a second successive season.

I've also noticed that quite of few of their star players are now unhappy and may try and force a move away in order to find Champions League football ... possibly a time for us to strike.

I thought I'd also see how my old club, Milan were doing after sacking me in the summer ...

View attachment 189940

Turns out they've done pretty well, they were challenging Juventus all the way and were actually top of the league until they drew their penultimate fixture which allowed Juve to clinch the title by just 1 point.

Back to the Premier League and it was time to dish out all the awards ...

FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR:
View attachment 189938

Not really a surprise for me as Hazard has been utterly brilliant this season for Chelsea and one of the main reasons why they ran away with the league so comfortably.

26 goals and 13 assists from 37 games is impressive for anyone, never mind playing out wide in the most challenging league in the world.

PLAYERS PLAYER OF THE YEAR:
View attachment 189936

Our very own Alexis Sanchez won the 'Players Player Of The Year' award despite having far less impressive stats than the Belgium, Hazard.

Sanchez has been brilliant this season and dragged us through at time but I still think he has more to offer.

I'm surprised Hazard didn't make it a clean sweep here.

TEAM OF THE YEAR:
View attachment 189934

Alexis Sanchez is the only Arsenal player to make it into the team of the year despite having a decent season.

Having said that, I couldn't really make a case for anyone else to make it after no one else really caught the eye.

TOP GOALSCORER:
View attachment 189932

Robert Lewandowski gets a mention here after finishing 5th but still someway behind leader, Hazard.

Hazard won this award by one goal over Southamptons Guido Carillo.

Lewandowski was 8 goals behind Hazard and tied with Lukaku in 4th place. I had hoped for a slightly better return from him but I guess it takes time to adapt to a new league.

Hopefully next season will be a different story.

The final thing on my mind before pre-season starts is what kind of budget I'll be working with this season. Last season the board have me £100 war chest so I'm hoping for a similar figure this time around ...

View attachment 189928

WOW!

£120 million! Got to be pleased with that!

This really could change us from top 4 hopefuls to seriously challenging for the league title.​

Back