Paul the 'psychic' octopus dies

Joss

Reaction score
Paul-the-psychic-octopus-006.jpg

Paul the 'psychic' octopus in action during this year's World Cup – choosing winners with uncanny results. Photograph: Wolfgang Rattay/Reuters

Paul the 'psychic' octopus, who won unlikely worldwide fame after correctly predicting a host of World Cup matches, has died, his owners have confirmed. Stefan Porwoll, manager of the Oberhausen Sea Life Centre in Germany, said: "His success made him almost a bigger story than the World Cup itself."

Paul predicted the winners of all Germany's World Cup 2010 clashes, and then of the final by selecting one of two boxes, each loaded with a mussel food treat and marked on the outside with one of the teams.

Staff at the centre said his death was not entirely unexpected, since common octopuses generally only live a couple of years. "He appears to have passed away peacefully during the night, of natural causes, and we are consoled by the knowledge that he enjoyed a good life here," said Mr Porwoll.

"We may decide to give Paul his own small burial plot within our grounds and erect a modest permanent shrine." Paul will live on meanwhile in the form of a range of commercial enterprises ranging from special clothing lines to mobile phone applications. He will also feature in a documentary to be released early next year.

Some Twitter comments:

guardian_sport...No squidding! Bet he didn't see, etc and so on: Paul the 'psychic' octopus dies gu.com/p/2kjm2/tw via @guardian

guardian_sport... Aquarium: 'We may decide to give Paul his own small burial plot within our grounds and erect a modest permanent shrine'

Zonal_MarkingThank God, no more stories about that ****** octopus...

arseblog @Zonal_Marking...Or **** jokes about how he didn't see his own death coming. He was only psychic for football matches. I mean, really.

Conspiracy Theory?

Last edited:
Deleted my thread as we did it at the same time but yours in better detailed.

RIP Paul :(

Lol.. I saw this one..

"I squid you not, Paul the Octopus is dead."

Shockingly bad XD

R.I.P :(

Great to know his last prediction was England would host the 2018 world cup :D

Lol.. I saw this one..

"I squid you not, Paul the Octopus is dead."

Shockingly bad XD

Didn't see his death coming, lol.

RIP

Lol, both of these done to an extent on twitter (see OP)

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

R.I.P :(

Great to know his last prediction was England would host the 2018 world cup :D

Didn't know that.. Sounds promising, if only the FIFA officials didn't promise to sell their votes

Paul :'(. We were trying to win a Fifa clubs match for Paul, me and Ronan put in an inspired performance but thanks to Tirath we lost. Tirath is a disgrace to Paul.

Well, according to a news piece I read. He died of natural causes.

Last edited:
@cfc12345

Uuuh I suggest you delete your post fairly sharpish.. don't swear, and don't take it so seriously, he's entitled to his opinion and that post just makes you sound racist tbh.

how does it make me sound racist if I think his horrible for killing an animal or attacking it

how does it make me sound racist if I think his horrible for killing an animal or attacking it

It wasn't 'Attacking' it in the literal sense, nor was he responsible for the death. The article means he just has an opinion against Paul the Octopus and spoke out about it (Verbally attacking it).

Learn to read articles before you post please, you clearly didn't read that before you replied.