SjefvanOekel

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there by any chance someone out there who remembers the PB-ToOn", a 442 from Paul Buxton (i believe cm 03/04).

Many thanks in advance.

Revive PB-ToOn - Paul Buxtons 4-4-2 for CM 03/04

I'm looking to revive the PB-ToOn tactic (Paul Buxtons 4-4-2 for CM 03/04).

So far I managed to combine the Player/Team Instructions from Diablo with the formation from the original tactic based on the description found on a forum that says the following:
It was a 4-4-2 diamond, with a right FC having a side arrow to the FC position, and the central striker had a side arrow to the left FC position. There was an AMC with a farrow to the FC position.

Note that the tactic performs better than Scramjet or classic Diablo when using the same players.
Feel free to bring updates and tweaks to the tactic if discovered.

Updated 1: For my team (which is more of a low mid table club in the Greek top league) it seems that using "Attacking" instead of "Gung Ho" mentality is a lot more useful. Scoring a few less goals but conceding way more less too (1 lose, 3 draws and 11 wins out of last 15 matches played // 30 goals scored and 10 conceded) vs (3 loses, 2 draws, and 10 wins out of 15 matches // 41 goals scored and 17 conceded).

Download links:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PCc2F6hj8U7p1-HqAnhrOCq6Z5zfVobm/view
View attachment 28014

Screenshots:
View attachment 28009View attachment 28008

Last edited:
Ooooh man huge thanks ! I even got to talk to Paul and he did not have this tactic anymore so this is golden !!! Thanl you :D

You're welcome. I reworked it into a couple of other tactics, most notably a 3-2-2-1-2, with that front three arrangement because nothing quite beats it. The CM4/03/04 engine is so strange because back arrow/gung ho is the only way you can make a central midfielder play box-to-box, your back four all need to have centre back attributes and you have these weird crazy midfielder/right forward cutting in exploits that mean you'll often get more out of bad players than good. I actually found this thread because I was searching for other tactical ideas for the game, given I've got so bored with just playing PB_Toon and the variants I created.

You're welcome. I reworked it into a couple of other tactics, most notably a 3-2-2-1-2, with that front three arrangement because nothing quite beats it. The CM4/03/04 engine is so strange because back arrow/gung ho is the only way you can make a central midfielder play box-to-box, your back four all need to have centre back attributes and you have these weird crazy midfielder/right forward cutting in exploits that mean you'll often get more out of bad players than good. I actually found this thread because I was searching for other tactical ideas for the game, given I've got so bored with just playing PB_Toon and the variants I created.

I feel you. The best tactic I was able to produce was basically the Diablo tactic with tweaked Team instructions. Switched the mentality to be more balanced and this way your CM won't score that much but each player from the CM , ST, ST trio will score at least 30 goals each / season if they are decent / good players (so let's say you might have 100 goals guaranteed) while conceiding way less than in the original Diablo.

The only basic rule after switching to this tactic is to watch your players rating and if the average rating drops below 7 then just switch the player with another one (strange thing I noticed is that the attributes does not always matter that much).

I will attach it here just in case someone wants to play with it.

View attachment 22547

Mates, I totally forgot my thread, telling me that I never find this tactic, and now you'll be responsibles of the end of my social life :p
Thanks all :)
Sorry for my bad english