PC Building thread

Got my gaming PC in November spent a total of ?616 and it outperforms the Xbox 1 and Ps4

Processor - AMD FX 8350
GPU - AMD Radeon 7950
RAM - 8 GB Corsair DDR3
HD - Seagate 500GB SATA
PSU - 750 W 80+ Powercool
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14Cs

I done a bit of buying prebuilt and upgraded some myself. I bought the tower with the AMD FX8350, Motherboard included.
I then upgraded the other parts myself.

Anyway ?616 is not that much more than Ps4 or Xbox 1, when you consider the savings on games as they are much cheaper.
I also stuck with all AMD as the consoles are all AMD systems so games are more likely to be optimized for AMD in the future.

To be fair, you have to try pretty hard to not build a computer that's better than a PS or Xbox. My build is about a year and a half old now and it still blows the new console generation out of the water despite only costing about ?700.

Also, yes. AMD master race.

Initially I was with a Cooler Master GX Lite 500W that's the requirement of the graphics cards considered. Would it be better to stay with the chosen here or go back to the GX Lite?. Is it to be expected 500W becoming too little for any medium-high graphic card within the next ten years?.

Futureproof it. Go for a bigger/better PSU, just in case. There's no way of telling how technology will progress but graphics cards are easily replaceable, PSUs less so.

Picked back the intel i7 4770. What's more worth?. the higher i7 4770 performance or the lower i5 4670 price?.

That i5 should be sufficient for anything other than really high end stuff. Processors now are ridiculous, there's a reason I always go AMD. There's so much excess power in i7s it's hardly ever worth it.

If I were to take down the price I would consider a 64GB SSD drive for the OS and slower starting programs. Worth goign back to i5 4670 and 500W PSU?.

I'd say so, yes.

Would a better CPU cooling device be a strong recommendation or that should be enough?

Always get good cooling. If you're unsure, get better cooling.

To be fair, you have to try pretty hard to not build a computer that's better than a PS or Xbox. My build is about a year and a half old now and it still blows the new console generation out of the water despite only costing about ?700.

Also, yes. AMD master race.

True you would have seriously skimp on some components, the AMD HD 7850 is compatible to Ps4, CPU wise probably any AMD phenom matches Ps4.
There was a thread on gamespot forums were someone asked what it costs to build a PC to match ps4 the cost was about ?500

Think I might order a kaveri 7850k in a few weeks and slam a new build together round it

I'm not exactly great with computers and would rather just buy one pre built but any tips you could offer would be great.

1. What is your budget?
I'd like to keep it under ?1000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? If gaming say what kind of games
Gaming(FM, Total War and games like that)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
No

5. Do you need a monitor?
Yes

5. If yes, what size do you need.
Just one thats a good size for gaming

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard/ Mouse/ Speakers/ Headset/ Wifi card/ Card reader etc?
All I think. Well not speakers if they will be on the monitor and not a headset

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
No

8. Pre built or will build yourself? Generally a surcharge on prebuilt of €20
Pre Built

9. When are you purchasing?
No rush

10. Any other considerations?
I'm in no rush to get it and was considering getting it brand new for FM15. How quick does the technology move?