PC start up times

Death Ball

Reaction score
My google-fu has failed, so I'm asking here: How long is for you, or should be, since pressing the start up button and finishing the load of the first application?.

The times to start my PC have been going up progressively, most when there's been a Vista update since a year and half ago, and it's starting to get annoying at times.

I've been counting, and currently, it's 3mins since button to see desktop, 8 mins (taken down from 10 mins after changing antivirus) to end of antivirus load (which I take as one of the latter services to load) and 11-12 mins to load Palemoon (Firefox compiled with the options for Windows). It's making me feel like it is time to consider buying a new PC (either full or in pieces to mount myself, not sure yet, as I'd like to build it myself but I don't trust my limited mobility and strength or directing someone with negative idea about computers).

P.S. - On the account of that last parenthesis, is there some British company where one can order online a PC built with specific pieces that would send the PC abroad?

You are using Vista? That's your problem mate.

I would say it's due to things you have on start up. From logging on, to opening and using a program takes around 10 seconds for me. Check to see what things you can do without opening on start up.

I did that already. Though there's several services I'm not sure what they are or do that I didn't touch, or that I thought were non-essential but not having a choice to automatic delayed start I decided not to touch. I guess I can try to have a new look when I have time and be looking through google what services are disposable and what aren't and see if I can stop more than a few.

Thanks for the answer.

I get about 10 to 12 seconds or so, from button press to desktop (never timed it with a stopwatch but it's so quick it's not worth worrying about). Press the button and by the time I've moved my chair into place it's ready to go.

The previous statement regarding Vista is spot on. It was a complete failure of an operating system. So much so, that Microsoft offered to downgrade you to XP with a free disc, if you contacted them after buying an off the shelf Vista system.

Windows 8.1
Asus Z87
Core i5-4670k
8gb vengeance pro ram
HD7770 vapor-x Overclock
Kingston 120gb SSD
1TB Western digital blue

I buy all my parts from Dabs in the UK and they ship them to me in Ireland.
Never had an issue with anything I've ever bought from them. Super reliable and I'm sure they'd ship to you.

NB: If anybody has been considering getting 8.1? Do it!! It's a super fast and super stable OS.
I don't know how they got such a performance increase over Win 7 Ultimate but even on-line games like World of Tanks runs smoother for me.

Mine takes around 10-12 seconds from pressing the power button also using Windows 8.1 I do recommend it and any game issues can be resolved by running in compatibility with Windows 7 usually anyway.

As mentioned, your start up items are probably causing a huge issue and if I recall correctly, Vista works like the rest although it is a dreadful operating system but you can unload everything apart from Microsoft things to start up which may help.

You can also whack something like CCleaner on there to help get rid of things, but read a guide if you are not too familiar on using it as you may remove something you need. Not formatting can store a lot of useless stuff on there which may need removing too from old logs, old backups you do not need etc.

I cannot post links I believe yet but have a google for "tweakhound vista".

Thank you very much, that page is good to have!.

I found the list of services to disable and disabled them. First run after that improved starting time, but after that it's been just the same.

Would a reinstall help?