Pennant wants call from Republic

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 3K
he'd be useful for the republic, he's a very good player

Mceady----Ireland----Lawernce----Pennant
Stephan Ireland will never play for the Republic again, and no manager should ever pick the ******

Am I the only one who thinks this just shows that too much detail is being put into the nationality rules? He is undermining the whole point in international football

‘I want to play at International level, but I’m not good enough for England. So why not play for Ireland’

I’m afraid it doesn’t work that way, I can’t just decide that I’m Spanish because Scotland hasn’t been to a World Cup since 98.

Why not... if you know your never gunna get in the england set up and you have the chnace to play international football with somebody else... you would.. anybody would

good luck to him!

Does anyone really believe Trappatoni would pick him.
I hope he doesnt pick him as he is an overrated, overconfident ****

Why not... if you know your never gunna get in the england set up and you have the chnace to play international football with somebody else... you would.. anybody would

good luck to him!

I'd never want to play for an International team that isn't England.

What's the benefit of playing international for the sake of it? Should be to represent your own country, and it's not as if he's going to be winning anything major with Ireland.

i'd play for another nationality -- i would love to play international football so any nationality will do :P

Neither would i to be honest.

Sure, but if a kid is proud of his heritage and decides to play for his parents' country, well, I think it's fine. If a guy has lived in another country for 10 years and wants to represent them, ok, fine with me. However deciding you are going to play for another country when you're about to hit 30 and you haven't been called up yet, well, it's rather lame. If I were the irish coach, I wouldn't call him up - they shouldn't be anyone's second choice.

good luck to him!

Really, you would? Where is your sense of patriotism? You have just proven my argument right there. I wouldn’t want to play for anyone but Scotland, regardless of how many jokes I make about moving to San Marino so I can match up against top players.

Really, you would? Where is your sense of patriotism? You have just proven my argument right there. I wouldn’t want to play for anyone but Scotland, regardless of how many jokes I make about moving to San Marino so I can match up against top players.
Don't see the problem. It's not like he's picked a random country like you did in your other post, his grandad is Irish.
You can be patriotic towards your country and also be proud of roots you may have in another country.
If i was any good at football i'd love to play for England but if i wasn't quite good enough i'd be quite proud to represent Northern Ireland as well, where my parents are from.

Don't see the problem. It's not like he's picked a random country like you did in your other post, his grandad is Irish.
You can be patriotic towards your country and also be proud of roots you may have in another country.
If i was any good at football i'd love to play for England but if i wasn't quite good enough i'd be quite proud to represent Northern Ireland as well, where my parents are from.

As I said to begin with, I wouldn't mind but he clearly says he is doing it just so he can play Internationals.

International footballs a joke. So if my Granddad was Russian, but I've never even stepped foot in the country, I could play for them ? You should only be allowed to play for a country if you're either born there, or one or more of your parents are that nationality. Pennant, frankly, isn't, and never will be Irish. :S

Am I the only one who thinks this just shows that too much detail is being put into the nationality rules? He is undermining the whole point in international football

‘I want to play at International level, but I’m not good enough for England. So why not play for Ireland’

I’m afraid it doesn’t work that way, I can’t just decide that I’m Spanish because Scotland hasn’t been to a World Cup since 98.

Exactly. If Ireland pick him it's will just be embarrassing for Irish football. The guy has already said he wants to play for England, but is unlikely to be picked so he will play for Ireland. He well past it as a player.

What's the benefit of playing international for the sake of it? Should be to represent your own country, and it's not as if he's going to be winning anything major with Ireland.
He could win the mighty 4 nations Cup :O
+ get to play at the highest level possible

As I said before I personally wouldnt call him up but I wont mind if he is called up
He will either preform well for us and help get us to the World Cup
or
Not make any effort and get dropped

As for the only playing for your own nationality debate
I would play for Northern Ireland if I wasnt good enough for the republic but I wouldnt represent any other countries that I may have family from as I wouldnt feel attached to them.
If we played England would he be able to give 100%? I dont think so.

Well Ireland hinted a return over weekend and Nolan said he would play for Ireland
On Pennant he can play for n.Ireland too

why would anyone want him and not steven ireland??

Pennant only wants to play for us because england dont want him. at least Ireland is actually from ireland. he is a young great talent who could be unbelievable for the country.

so what he had pblems with the team before. there has been many playerswho done worse to the national side ahem# Keane, dunphy......................................

Well isn't he a pro. Remember when he got arrested? Drink driving? ****

Last edited:
Well isn't he a pro. Remember when he got arrested? Drink driving? ****

Would you say that to another person you hadn't met before who had once driven whilst under the influence? Of course not. So don't insult him, it is pointless anyway.

Back