SaintMotbot

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have been really inspired by some of the Pentagon challenge/Journeyman stories going around on the website, so I have decided to try my own, hopefully some of you will follow along (If you can cope with another of this type of story!).

So as I am sure that most of you know, the Pentagon challenge is one of the hardest challenges going and involves winning the biggest trophy on each of the 5 continents. The UEFA Champions League, the Asian Champions League, the African Champions League, the North American Champions League and the Copa Libertadores (South American Champions League). On top of this I intend to try and win a top division trophy in every continent as well and will be starting as an unknown manager with no reputation or coaching badges.

Look forward to talking to some of you as you follow :)

Tom

View attachment 235013

So that was it. I had failed my first year of University. What was I supposed to do now, there were no job prospects, it was too late to re-apply to uni to retake the first year.. besides I wasn't even sure that I had another year of uni in me.

"Why don't you take a gap year mate?"

The speaker was my best friend Jake, South African born, absolute idiot but loyal and trustworthy.

"Sounds like a great idea, are you paying?" I asked him sarcastically"

"Well, what if you don't have to pay?" He asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, as you know I'm moving back to South Africa to be with my family, come spend some time with us? relax a bit, my Uncle owns a football club over there, we can go watch some of their games! do some safari, it will be a great!"

"Wait.. what?"

"Oh come on! it's not like you have anything better to do! I'll leave you to think about it, gimme a ring when you have considered it!"

View attachment 235011

A week later I was sat on a plane for the 11 hour flight to South Africa. I looked out of my window and saw Bloemfontein sprawling in front of me, So this was going to be my home for the foreseeable future, it looked nice enough. Maybe this was the best thing that could have happened to me.

Last edited:
View attachment 235012

I didn't sleep well that night. A combination of home sickness and nerves coupled with the searing heat that never seemed to go away had ridden my bed with sweat and I just couldn't get comfortable.

I was practically falling asleep over my breakfast when Jake came bounding into the room, clearly delighted to back in his homeland.

"So are we going to see the warriors today?" he asked.

"The what?" I replied groggily, setting my bowl of cereal down. Even the corn flakes were different over here.

"The warriors" He said impatiently "The African Warriors? my football team! Remember? I was telling you about them? my Uncle is the owner there! we can get in for free, and go and see them train whenever we want!"

"Oh right, yeah I remember.. that sounds good actually, be good to get back involved in football again"

So that was it, the next thing I knew we were on the local boss into the centre of Bloemfontein to the Charles Mopeli Stadium, the home of the African Warriors to see them train.

View attachment 235010
As we walked in to the stadium there were only a few people there. A couple of players were running around in yellow training bibs and a man was putting out cones, obviously for them to run around. The stadium wasn't great to be honest, quite large, perhaps 20000 seats but it looked old and outdated.

"Mate it looks like a bomb site" I said to Jake, looking around.

"Oi! it does it's job, besides we are only 2nd division, nothing major"

Just at that moment there was a shout of joy from the other side of the pitch and a man came running towards us.

View attachment 235009
"Uncle Pule!" Jake shouted, pulling him into a big hug while I stood there, feeling a bit awkward"

"Oh It's so good to see you my boy! you look well" he said before turning to face me "And who's this we've got here?" he asked good naturedly.

"Uncle, this is Tom, my best friend, he's going to be staying with us for a few months. He is taking a gap year over here!"

"The more the merrier!" he proclaimed happily, taking my hand and shaking it "Welcome, welcome! what do you think of the little club I have here?"

"Its very nice to meet you, this place is great!" I lied, trying to be polite "I cant wait to watch some football."

"are you a football fan then?" he asked, and I had the strange feeling that he was weighing me up.

"Oh yeah huge, I support Southampton back home, it kind of sounds clichéd but football is my life.. I'd have nothing to do if I didn't follow it."

"Very good! very good!" he proclaimed loudly "You know a lot about football?"

"Well.. I want to study for my coaching badges when I'm older, I follow football all around the world.. add on that the fact that I am pretty much addicted to Football Manager on the PC and yeah, I know quite a bit."

"This could be perfect!" he said in his thick South African accent "our manager has just resigned"

"Oh no, not David!" Jake complained loudly next to me.

"Yes, he had commitments to take care of, we had to release him. Would you be interested in running things Tom? only temporarily, until we find a new manager.. We will even get you started on those coaching badges!"

"What?" I asked in shock, this absolutely was not happening. I was a 23 year old student, not a football manager.

"Oh go on!" Jake said eagerly "This is South African football! pretty much a kick about in the park compared to the English stuff, there is no pressure! I'll be your assistant!"

"Erm, OK?" I found myself saying before I knew what I was doing.

"Excellent!!" 'Uncle Pule' shrieked, shaking my hand hard again. "You start right now! good luck" and with that, he walked off.

I looked at Jake helplessly who just shrugged before walking over to the players, gesturing me to follow.

"Hey! its Jake!" shouted one of the footballers, grasping Jakes hand and doing a funny hand shake. It was obvious that Jake hung around here a lot and was known to everybody.

"Hey Seiso, look I need a favour with something"

"Anything my friend, anything" he said generously.

"Tom here is your new interim manager, make sure none of the lads give him any stick" He asked in a quieter voice. 'Seiso' gave me a funny look but then made an effort to disguise it.

"Sure thing, nice to meet you Tom" He said, shaking my hand.

"Yeah, and you" I said to him "are you still familiar with your warm up from your previous manager" praying to god that the answer was yes.

"Naturally!" he said, flashing me a wide smile "I will get the boys straight onto it"

I nodded "Thanks, good stuff" I tried to say thank you as best I could without actually saying it and he seemed to understand as he smiled encouragingly and ran off to join the other players.

So apparently now I was a football manager.

Last edited:
View attachment 235004

I laid down in bed that night with a thick folder absolutely crammed full of paperwork. Club information, history, league tables, scout reports, physio reports, player recommendations, overdue bills, finance information, sponsorship agreements. It appeared that the previous manager had absolutely no idea about filing systems and I knew for a fact that I was in well over my head! I decided I had better start off by looking at some information about the club.

View attachment 235008
View attachment 235007
View attachment 235006
View attachment 235005
My mind started to boggle as I looked at the finance papers. I couldn't even imagine what £137,000 looked like, let alone how to spend it. No, I was definitely going to leave the finances to the board and chairman, I didn't know anything about money. The other figure that caught my eye was the stadium capacity of 20,000 seats. My heart started to beat faster as I imagined standing in front of all those people but I decided to push that to the back of my mind, I wasn't entirely sure this wasn't a dream yet.

It turns out that 'Seiso' was the club captain, Seiso Diamini. I would need to make friends with this man, he clearly had enormous influence and sway over the rest of the squad and that could be very useful.

I put all of the paperwork carefully back into the folder and turned out the light, slumping down into my pillows. I was due back at the training ground early the next day, I was going to need all the sleep I could get.

View attachment 235003
I yawned massively as I stood in the morning sun, a mug of steaming coffee clasped in my hands. The squad were already out and training and I was taking a moment to simply stand and watch them, making mental notes to match up to the player reports that were in the infamous folder I had been given. In the half an hour since I had arrived I had already been into the office and signed a contract to become temporary manager of the football club. My contract stated that I would be earning £775 a week which I was delighted with! that would more than pay my way and allow me to pay some rent to Jake's parents who had been so good to me so far.

View attachment 235002
As the training session finished I clapped the players off the pitch. When we were introduced earlier that morning they had been a little confused but listened to me nonetheless, how much of that was Jake and Seiso's influence I have no idea but they hadn't seemed to have worked out I had no idea what I was doing yet.

I made my way into what was apparently my new office, which reminded me of a tool shed to be honest. The walls were bare brick and half painted, the whole room had an unfinished feel about it. I removed what appeared to be a dust sheet from the empty desk and lowered myself into the battered old leather chair. This was still all so surreal. I placed the folder of paperwork in front of me and plucked out the player reports, starting to read through them and scribble my own notes down.

View attachment 235001
The best players in the squad seemed to be left winger Tsweu Mokoro, Strikers Seiso Diamini (the captain) and Yves Krizoa, right back Innocent Marakane and right winger Jabulane Rahtlo. Perhaps these were the players I needed to build my first 11 around?

View attachment 235000

View attachment 234999

View attachment 234998

View attachment 234997

View attachment 234996

Last edited:
Already hooked on the story!! looking forward to following this one, plenty of reading for my night shifts lol

Great writing - gotta love slightly eccentric chairmen! (H)

Awesome stuff man, Pentagon Challenge is such fun but can be a struggle too sometimes. Good luck with the Warriors ;) I'm having a ton of fun with Jomo Cosmos myself atm

With your tactics, it be no time till you move to a bigger club

View attachment 233840

The next day I received a clean white envelope through the post. I tore it open and saw a copy of my new contract as well as confirmation of the beginning of my coaching qualifications, looks like Jakes Uncle was good on his word.

View attachment 234887
The squad had a day off today so I went to find Jake to talk about the squad that I had been left with.

"Why dont you just play to your strengths?" he suggested lightly.

"How do you mean?"

"Well, neither of us are ever off football manager, use that?"

"Mate, you know thats a game right?"

"Yeah yeah I know that, but maybe it could be useful? its all properly researched and everything, might help you with your players?"

"well, I haven't got a better plan, I suppose I could take a look."

I booted my laptop up and started a new game on FM. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the African Warriors were on there. Upon closer inspection the squad seemed to be quite good, more than adequate to field a team. Flicking back through my notes from the previous days training I noted that the main players that I would be looking to lead the team were strikers and wingers so I figured I would try out a 4-4-2 with advanced wingers playing in the AML and AMR positions and try and score more than the opposition. The immediate concerns in my side were at Centre Back and Central Midfield. The team was lacking a proper spine with all the power coming from the wide areas. The club had provided me with almost £50k and I think it was time to look at spending some of it.

Last edited:
View attachment 233839

View attachment 930867
Four people. Just four people had shown up for my first press conference as manager of the African Warriors and one of those was the club representative keeping an eye on me! I had received the phone call the previous day to tell me that I was expected to fulfil my media commitments today and I had been up most of the night worrying about it but I really shouldn't have bothered.

Reporter - "Are you at all concerned that your lack of reputation or experience could hinder your chances"

I really wasn't impressed. All I had received all press conference was questions basically asking who the **** I was and why I think I deserved this job. "Listen, everybody has to start somewhere right? I am very grateful to the owner for giving me this wonderful opportunity and I have no concerns about my ability."

"yes, but you don't know what ability you have, you've never managed before?"

"I'm sorry.. does anybody have any questions that aren't to do with my experience?"

Silence..

"Ok then this is over then" I said, standing up, annoyed. A camera flashed in my face as I turned around and left the room.

"Mate, what was that?" Jake asked me as I stormed into my office, slumping into my battered old chair.

"A character assassination I think" I replied, rubbing my face with my hands.

"You're supposed to make friends with the press" Jake said, half smiling. He could always see the humour in situations.

"Well, that's certainly not going to happen now"

Last edited:
View attachment 233838

It was the day of our first fixture of the season. Pule (The Chairman) came to find me.

"Tom, I have some news!" he said, smiling widely. "That list of names you gave me that we no longer needed at the club, we have managed to move a few of them on! made another 50 grand while we were at it, some of which has been added to your transfer budget"

"That's brilliant news, I'm glad.. is there any chance I can have it as wage budget instead? there are a couple of free transfers I might be interested in"

"Anything my boy!" he said, grinning. Somehow he always sounded like he was right on the edge of laughing (Imagine Rafiki from Lion King :p)

"That's great, thanks.. you sticking around for the match tonight?" I asked

"Let me tell you something! I have not missed a match since I become owner of this club and that was 28 years ago! I will be there!"

I walked into the dressing room, baking in my the new suit I had decided to buy for the upcoming season. All of the players found it deeply hilarious that I was willing to stand out in the South African sun in a suit and tie, but that was how a manager should dress!!

"Alright guys" I started once the hilarity had settled down "This is just the first game of the season, nothing major.. hopefully you should be starting to get a grasp on the tactics by now but just take it easy.. I dont want anything flashy or risky, no injuries either so just go out there and enjoy it!"

The players made their way out of the dressing room and the match was about to begin.

View attachment 234598
First game, first win. Club Captain Seiso Dlamini scored a brace before Dahoe Lebahi tapped in a third to make it a convincing 3-0 win for my first match in charge. Perhaps this management lark was easy?

Last edited:
View attachment 233837

I strode around my office as I talked on the phone to Pule. I was just about starting to find my feet now. Pre-season was going well, two games, two wins, 7 goals scored, 0 conceded. I was starting to chip in with bits and pieces on the training ground. The team weren't used to being told they were doing things wrong but they quickly got used to it. As results started to come from their work, morale increased and the boys worked harder which produced more results. We were on a roll.

"So you have your money now!" Pule shouted down the phone. He obviously didn't have an 'inside voice' "Are you wanting to be bringing players in?"

"Well I need to be looking at a couple, I need a goalkeeper, a centre back and a striker, then we will be good for the season."

"Ok my boy! we can sort that out no problem! leave it with me and the scouts! you will get the last say of course"

"That sounds good to me Pule, thank"

Last edited:
View attachment 233836

View attachment 233880
So pre season was over. We had all the practice we were going to get and now it was time to start the season. There was no press conference scheduled before the opening game of the season, perhaps that had something to do with me losing my temper the last time, Jake was right, it was going to be very hard to win over the doubting fans without the press on my side.

The consequences of what I was doing seemed to finally hit me the night before the match. I tossed and turned all night in an effort to try and get some sleep but it was no good. Our first opponents of the season were Baroka FC in a match that was to be played at home. I spent the night pawing through scout and player reports, looking for any ***** in their armour that we could exploit.
"OK Lads" I said to the team who were gathered in the dressing room just before kick off. "I have a cunning plan!" The reference was completely lost on almost all of the players but it made Jake smiles which made me feel slightly better.

"We have to play really wide today.. every time you get the ball I want our attacks to come from out wide. I want the full backs overlapping and drilling crosses in towards Seiso in the area, we clear?"

There was a general murmuring of assent and a few nods.

"I know how hard you have worked in pre season, and I appreciate it hasn't been easy for a lot of you. But now is the time where it really matters.. The people out there have paid good money to come and see you play football, I would suggest you go out there and play for them"

This got a loader agreement and some clapping.

"Go get em lads.." I finished simply, standing back as the team tried to pump themselves up for the match. Clapping and shouting they filed out of the dressing room.

"Practically Churchillian" Jake smirked.

"Shut up.." I said, shaking my head.

As I walked out of the tunnel I couldn't help but feel a little bit disappointed. It was an extremely low turnout, perhaps 300 people? maybe not even that. They looked very depressing spread out in a 20,000 capacity stadium. There was no signing or chanting and very few replica kits, they were just here to watch some football. Who could blame them for not being overly excited, their side were planted to the bottom of the 2nd division, with a new manager who seemed to be some petulant teenager from the other side of the world with no experience. We would have to earn their trust and support.

Half Time - 0-0
As the lads filed back into the dressing room I made sure to pat each one on the shoulder. They had been magnificent, we had bossed the game completely. By my count we had 13 shots on goal and surrendered just one in return. The only reason we were still level is because of the inspired form of their goalkeeper.

"That was fantastic boys! you did exactly what I asked! keep this up for the 2nd half and we have a great chance at a winning start. Lets just have a bit of composure both on the ball and in front of goal, we need to stay nice and calm and keep playing the way you are and the chances will come!"

70 Minutes
I leapt out of my seat on the touchline and punched the air as Buthelezi picked his head up and spotted the run from Mokoro. He proceeded to loft a wonderful ball over the defence and Mokoro made no mistake, slotting a cool finish past the keeper to claim the reward for our hard work. 1-0.

76 Minutes
Much to the amusement of Jake and the rest of the staff I was off again! charging up the touchline to celebrate with my players! Mokoro's long range shot was only deflected by the keeper and in the pinball confusion that followed in the box, the opportunity fell to new boy Shongwe who lashed home to make the score 2-0!

Full Time
The whistle sparked scenes of jubilant celebrations from the players and I ran onto the pitch to join them. It was almost as if we had won the cup final such was the excitement. I suppose it was pure relief and the feeling of optimism that comes at the dawn of a new era. We had been magnificent all match, if we play like this for the rest of the season we could be a real force!

View attachment 233865

Last edited:
View attachment 233835
Santos FC 1 - 3 African Warriors

View attachment 233864
another magnificent performance and 3 more valuable points to put us joint top of the table! Tsweu Mokoro is in irresistible form and notched two more goals before Nkosi sealed it near the end. We currently sit joint top of the table and the mood in the dressing room is incredible. Just how far can we go here? at the moment anything seems possible.

Last edited:
Absolutely marvellous start! c:

Will be following up.