Pep Guardiola Extends Contract

CtPauley

ORVP
Reaction score
Barcelona head coach Pep Guardiola has agreed to extend his contract at Camp Nou until the end of next season, the club have confirmed.

Pep-Guardiola-Malaga_2552060.jpg

Spaniard Guardiola, whose current contract with the Primera Liga champions was due to expire at the end of the campaign, will put pen to paper on a new deal in the coming days. The 40-year-old, who took charge at Barca nearly three years ago, led the Catalan club to consecutive league titles in 2009 and 2010

The club said on their official website: "FC Barcelona announce that they have reached an agreement with Josep Guardiola to renew his contract with the club for another season, until 30th June 2012.

"The signing of the contract will take place in the next few days."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_6741635,00.html

Interesting stat about his time at Barcelona compared to Frank Rijkaard:

From OptaJose: 80 - % of league matches won by Barcelona with Pep Guardiola as manager, compared with 59% under his predecessor Frank Rijkaard.

Last edited:
lol as if he will even think about leaving Barca, best players, bestc lun and enough money

But only too the end of 11/12 season... it would worry me that the manager clearly does not see barca as his long term future else he would commit like most managers

But only too the end of 11/12 season... it would worry me that the manager clearly does not see barca as his long term future else he would commit like most managers

He does it to stop complacency. He said it before!

He does it to stop complacency. He said it before!

yea and torres said he loved liverpool and commited future on jan 9th.. rest is history..

what people say and do are completely different things

he only ever commits one season at a time

He's stated the that he is only doing 1 year contracts to avoid complacency and to keep Barca out of trouble if things start to go badly under him.

If everything goes badly and they want to get rid, they can either hold out until the end of the season and just not renew, or put him on 'gardening leave' and just let him run his contract down. Or of course to get himself out if something more attractive comes along when he's done whatever his plan at Barca is (considering he's already won every trophy possible), maybe he'll take the Spain job at some point...

I heard that he only signs one year contracts because of Barcelona having presidential elections, he doesn't want to commit to a long term contract incase a new president comes in who Guardiola doesn't get along with.

Good to see that their puppet is willing to stay a little bit longer before he starts a real career.

I cant believe some of the people on this thread saying 1 year deals aren't enough, most Barcalona/ Real Madrid managers don't ever last a season nevermind sign massive long deals, he's done well to keep the job for another season even though he won Barcelona's first ever treble.

Massive job and expectation on a man so young doesnt seem to be effecting him and he seems as motivated as ever so can see him atleast completing this contract he's just signed and maybe even a new one after, would be good to see him manage Qatar as in my opinion he's the greatest coach on the planet.

He's talked about quitting in the past because of the stress...he looks like a bit of a basket case at times, and about 10 years older than he did when he started. Is there a remote possibility he might succeed Wenger at Arsenal?

@DMF
Spain would never choose a Catalan for this job

@Niall
the elections already took place last summer

They also used to play at the Camp Nou but won't do it ever again. Things have changed now. As long as Spain is on top they will sign only Spanish(Castillian) coaches and they will rather sign a foreigner than a Catalan if things go wrong for them. Keep in mind that in Spain politics are still connected with sport.