Henspa

Reaction score
I couldn't and haven't yet found anything that would help me with this so why not to make a discussion about this. I have a basic idea that there are two kinds of situations in defending a attack. 1) Your defenders are slower than attackers and 2) Your defenders are quicker than attackers. These are basically the situations that you need to make your defense ready for by making those 1-3 tactics what you practice. I think that what you need to do is make all your players in defensive role play against the enemy tactic and all the other players play for your tactic. That is why I think you need only 2-3 players with a defensive role in normal usual situations to sacrifice for only dealing with enemy. 2 CB:s and 1 DM in most situations.

But I'm now asking how should I/we do it?

I think that 90%(or more) of the time opposition will use mostly two strikers so opposition using 3 strikers have to be dealt separately and game to game basis but I want to have a basic tactic for those 1 & 2 situations that i can just by little tweaking put in any game and play. How should I put up the defense when opposition is using a quick poacher for example or how if he's using slow but skillful forward. And now lets forget every other position except striker because striker is always the main goalscorer in team because of his position on field. As I already said 3 strikers is a rare sight in FM (at least for me) to see in use as oppositions main tactic that we can rule that out and concentrate on 3 tactics to make for the 3 slots for training. I think the 3 tactics could be:
1) Opposition using 1 quick player up front. (Poacher/ Advanced forward for example)
2) Opposition using 1 slow player up front . (Deep-lying forward/ Target man for example)
3) Opposition using 1 quick and 1 slow player up front. (Target + Poacher / Deep + Advanced forward)

Players marking these roles will obviously be your Central Defenders (CB) and Defensive midfielder (DM) so I'm basically asking how to setup your CB's + DM(If using such) in those three situation. And yes it's helpful to say use Stopper Cover combo or use this or use that but what I want is more accurate things like put your player on loose marking there and make him tackle harder there and this kind of things.

I hope you got the idea what I'm chasing for and hopefully we can get a conversation going and find ways to make our defenses stronger. If the text is confusing I'm sorry because English isn't my strongest language but hope you got the main idea what I'm chasing.

Hello henspa, good topic! Your english is fine, and im looking forward to following this thread - I do have some defensive "problems" aswell, altough they were very much improved this season when I started using a "covering ball playing defender" and training defensive positioning when meeting fast and skillfull opponents.

Making a stopper / cover combo with a anchorman helping out for cases 1 and 3 and casual offside trap for #2. Any comments or thoughts will it work and what should I consider tweaking ?

all the goals i conceed atm is because the retarded left/right back don't cover the man at the back post, just stands there. idiot! seems unfixable to

I concede a lot of goals from set pieces. I have my full backs set as supporting, and my centre backs set as covering and stopper. I concede far too many goals. I have changed my midfield as I normally play 4-2-3-1 with 2 cm. I have changed this to 2 dm's and it has stopped teams running through me. However ii concede far too many goals from set pieces even though match preperation is set as defending set pieces.