Persigubin Gunung Bintang - An Indonesian adventure

Klayyyyyy

Reaction score
*I know i`m like, 3 years late... But I only have FM 13, hopefully some people will still read this as the game doesn`t seem to have changed much. Oh yeah and i`m already a bit into this, I accidentally posted that penalty shootout thread in the FM 16 area but that is from this game.

Let the story begin...

A mysterious man walks up to the to a cafe in Oksibil, the locals do not know him, then again there aren`t many locals in this remote area of Indonesia. That mysterious man is me. Through my head is the nagging idea that what i`m doing is stupid. I`d been on a exploration holiday for weeks. But when I heard the manager of the local football club had left, something inside me couldn`t leave this place without a try. "Tea please, 2 sugars" I ask, peering with the corner of my eye at a group of flashy businessmen chatting in the corner. I approach them, nearly spilling my tea as a waiter walks by. "Hello" I say as the men look up in surprise, "I hear you`re looking for a manager". Brazilian Paolo Odone, owner of Persigubin Gunung Bintang football club, listens to me talk about stories of my time playing amateur football in England and how I would love to go into management. Odone looks interested in the stories but seems unconvinced about the idea of such a sudden hiring.

Then again he doesn`t have much to lose... The "Bintang Pagi" as they are nicknamed are in a poor financial state and barley positive, with debt to pay off. Odone says they are the least valuable club in their division with low wages and no proper or permanent facilities. While on the pitch they are expected by many to finish bottom of their Indonesian first division (strangely the 3rd tier) group (12/12). The club is said to have 1 player who is good enough for this level, attacking midfielder Fabian Yogi who has been at the club for 5 years now. Then again there aren`t even enough players to fill the bench...

Despite learning about this I pushed through with the decision, the challenge making the job all the more enticing. 2 days later the phone rang, it was Odone... "Hello", he said "due to lack of interest and the rapidly approaching pre-season we have decided to give you the job. We hope you have a fun and successful spell at the Bintang Pagi Mr..." he paused. "Sorry I didn`t get your name" he said. "Sorry I don`t think that will be necessary" I replied gleefully. "Well uh, ok then, good luck with the job. See you at 9 tomorrow". He sounded rather edgy about that, oh well he wont need my name. Now to learn some Indonesian!

So I walk into the meeting room to find 12 depleted guys who my whole career rests upon. The first order of business, dump them all off (apart from Yogi).
View attachment 1009613
Don`t be fooled by the star ratings, only 4.5 and above is even good for this league, only Yogi is a leading star and the most loyal member of the team. It will be interesting to see who I can find in free agency, only Indonesians at this level are allowed, foreigners are unavailable...

With 73 days until my first scheduled game, I need to arrange some friendlies. but first the squad needs sorting. It may be a while until i have something competitive. The board aren`t even asking for survival, just to be competitive. So at least there isn`t any pressure.

So first order of business, I managed to dump off all but 2 players. With strikers Engel Ewangin (big wage) and Decky Upromabin stuck at the club.

View attachment 1009791

With only 3 attacking players at the club, and literally no one else I had to sign many players, most of whom should at least hold their own in this league. And no all those guys aren`t for the first team, several young players also joined, might as well for only £10 a week!

View attachment 1009796View attachment 1009794

The one attacker I did get, albeit on loan, was Yulanius Watora from a super league side. He looks great for this level and with Yogi should form a lethal partnership up front.

I even got some international experience. With GK Andi Muhammad Gunter who was recently capped by Indonesia IRL! Although I sure hope he performs better than he did in that game, Indonesia`s record defeat...
It even has it`s own wikipedia page...

Next up tactics and pre-season

Pre-season

View attachment 189388

So preseason went quite well. The bad thing is that we can often only arrange friendlies against 2 teams. Both of whom are below our level so all those wins are misleading. The games against Persip and Persitema were the real tests, a win at Persip shows that we can fight with these teams, and hopefully we can stay up comfortably. My first league match is against Yahukimo FC. One of only maybe 5 teams in this 48 team division who`s name doesn`t begin with a P.

Tactic

I figure that we will need to use a defensive, counter attacking game plan to stop our opponents, who will likely be better than us. I believe our strong strike force can deal with low numbers up front so I have decided to go with a form of 4-5-1.

View attachment 189382

It is unorthodox but fits with the players I have. As to the lineup, that is to be decided. Lets see how my first month goes...

Last edited:
October

View attachment 188949

So the first month went very well indeed! After a frustrating first game where we had 16 shots and 58% possession, but could only manage 1 on target we exploded for 7 goals in 2 games! With 7/9 points gained and wins against our 2 main relegation rivals we have a confidence boost as well as a head start on them for the rest of the season. Left midfielder Suwardi Yuswardi managed to bag a surprise hat-trick in the 4-1 win and has impressed so far. He`s already beginning to pay back that hefty 1K fee!

Player of the month

Suwardi Yuswardi
Goals: 3
Assists: 1
Avg rating: 7.80

Since this month was only 3 games not much could happen, hopefully the next month will bring some more excitement!

Last edited:

Another good month. This one didn`t start so well with 2 points from 3 admittedly tough games. Persemalra are making a break at the top so I can excuse that loss. I thought this was the start of our slide down the table but we fought back with back to back wins including my first cup game. Unfortunately we have to survive a second leg in order to advance. We are high-mid table in the league with nearly 10 points over the relegation zone already. Yuswardi continued to contribute with 3 goals but POTM goes to...

Player of the month

Yulanius Watora
Assist: 2
Avg rating: 7.50

Next month we attempt to survive the cup as Watora does his best Lewendowski impression...

Another good month. This keeps us 4th and only a few points off 2nd, which would qualify us for the 2nd phase. But i`m not worried about that as i`m happier that we are drifting further clear of relegation. A 2-0 win against 2nd place Persewangi was a great result, but not quite as good as this...

Watora DESTROYED those guys. who beat us 3-0 pre season. He scored after 17 seconds and by the 34th minute had 4 More! They played a high line and Watora made them pay.

Meanwhile we survived a dodgy cup game that could have gone either way and then drew at home in the next round, but they got a crucial away goal. I have also changed the formation slightly as Edi Sutarsa is natural at sweeper, as I play a deep line anyway (for counter attacks) I now use a sort of 1-3-5-1 formation.

Although he only scored in 1 game, it`s obvious who`s goal scoring exploits deserve POTM...

Player of the month

Yulanius Watora
Goals: 5
Assists: 0
Avg rating: 7.46

Next up is another intense cup game and the transfer window, which starts on the 15th January for some reason.

Last edited:

Our best month yet! Winning 5/6 games and progressing past 2 cup rounds is great for our league position and has got us some valuable income to clear our debt. Watora chipped by scoring in 5 of the 6 games and our defense is looking very strong since the formation change. This leaves us only 4 points off of 2nd, maybe new plans need to be made with relegation looking near impossible now.

I also signed a center back called Rahmet Juliandri from the current super league leaders, he joins in February. The bad thing is he hadn`t broke into their 1st team yet, which isn`t really surprising giving their status. At 19 he is definitely going to be here for years to come, at least I hope!

Player of the month

Yulanius Watora
Goals: 5
Avg rating: 7.48

Next up we try to keep up our form and even push for top 2!

So the inevitable run of bad form came, we had 3 not to tricky league games that yielded only 1 point. We are now basically out of the running for top 2, top half is more attainable. Every position counts. With a 5K higher prize per position. Watora went scoreless after 5 goals in each of the last 2 months and is almost certain to not win top scorer now (unlikely in a 48 team division anyway). We got hit with another big blow as Suwardi Yuswardi is out for 2 months. This meant we needed to make moves at the deadline for a left midfielder, I was stuck between 2 so...

I got them both! Futron and Wahyudi are young wingers who will likely be long term replacements for Yuswardi, who is actually only 1 stars according to the staff despite being my 2nd best player this season. I also got another DM, mainly for the future as he has good potential according to my scouts. Meanwhile we got knocked out of the cup but in no way am I disappointed as we not only got to the 4th round but lost to the best team in the country!

We looked out but Yogi gave us a chance. When their keeper literally left the ball on a back pass so Yogi could slide in and score with 2 minutes left we set up a nervy ending for the super league leaders. But away goals knocked us out, oh well, at least we get some cash. This was just about the only positive from a month where a youth player and the opposition scored 3/5 goals of our goals... So POTM goes to...

Player of the month

Fabian Yogi
Goals: 2
Avg rating: 7.45

Next month we try to hold on to a top half spot with only 3 games scheduled.

March/April

View attachment 186347

Since there were only 2 games in April I decided to combine the months together at seasons end. They didn`t go too well but we came into the final game knowing a point against the 2nd placed team would secure us 5th place and 30k in prize money. I kinda managed to get a touchline ban for the game... So the tension was even higher as we were controlled for the whole game apart from the 2 minutes after they scored, when we managed to equalize and hold on for that extra 5k. For a club as poor as us that means a lot!

The bad news in all of this is that we ended the season with 1 win in 10 games, which doesn`t bode well for next year. We need to make some changes and I already have a few ready come June when the transfer market re-opens. I reckon we can at least maintain mid table next season if I get the players I want.

Over the 2 months we scored only 3 times, again a worry but my tactic is defensive and we only conceded 1 goal in each game (low for this division). With Yuswardi injured and Watora scoring 0 in the last 8 games after 13 in the first 13 we lost all offensive power. Howether the solid defense gave 3 defenders a rare chance at POTM(s). Ari Tri and Herry Sobolim defended consistently with ratings seemingly always in the mid-high 7`s, but despite playing in 3/5 games the new signing won it by virtue of his equalizing header in the last game...

Player of the month(s)

Rahmat Juliandri
Goals: 1
Avg rating: 8.00

Next up is the end of season review and transfers...

Last edited:

We made several big signings once the window opened. Most players are backups as we needed depth or coaching staff who demanded a playing role. Howether I think Didi Saputra and Yasin Kurniawan should challenge for a starting spot at right mid and right back, while the main signings were all from a club who are part of the premier league, a league separate to the regular league system for what I believe to be political reasons (it`s defunct now). They had several unhappy players so I swooped in and signed Putut Waringin Jati, a AMC who I hope is the new star of the team, his contract was hefty, the largest in the division in fact but he is of super league quality and will hopefully push us up into the high-mid table area. I also loaned 2 aging players who should still contribute highly at this level. One`s a striker who had 5 Indonesia caps in his prime and a DM who also was capped once 5 years ago, With no Watora I hope Akmad Amiruddin can grab the goals while Legimin Raharjo provides good cover for the defenders.

We also had to let a few players go. Our old backup striker became surplus to requirements after we signed a new backup and starter. Defensive midfielder Julius Wally also suffered the same fate due to new signings while sweeper Edi Sutarsa was good but wanted a ridiculous wage so I had no choice but to release him.

End of season review

I walk into the chairman`s office, Paolo Odone is sat there with a greeting, but yet smug smile. "Come in" he says with a strangely deep and jokey Brazilian tone, almost like he sees me as a regular friend, although he`s been in Brazil for business all year. "I have been keeping tab on how my..." I glare at him, "...our team is doing", he says. "I have to say the results have been significantly above expectation, it`s almost cleared our debt with what? About hmm, 50k prize money?", "including cup yes" I reply. Odone continues... "given the surprise turnaround and complete overhaul of the squad it would be silly not to offer you a new deal" I am happy, but not exactly surprised. "You may feel this is a little, cautious but at this level I believe a 1 year deal is reasonable. I hear you have some new signings, so with all this cash being thrown into the wage budget I expect a top half finish for next season". He hands my new contract to me, I sign it and proudly announce. "Thanks Paolo, I wont let the club dow..." *knock *knock. Odone glances at his watch "Ah I knew we started this meeting late" he says, adding, "I`ll get someone to do the rest of the paperwork" while gesturing towards the door. I walk over and let some South American businessman in. As I leave Odone says "Oh yeah, and good job". Little did he know, my plan is only starting...

Player of the season

This was a difficult decision. On one hand you had Watora and Yuswardi carrying us early in the season, but then basically disappearing for the last few months (Yuswardi was injured). While on the other you have the fans POTY, Fabian Yogi who didn`t win a POTM but was consistent throughout the whole season. So being a "favored person" and because Watora was only on loan...

Fabian Yogi

Appearances: 21
Goals: 4
Assists: 5
Man of the match: 0
Avg rating: 7.18

So without even being the best player in a game once Yogi averaged only 0.1 less match rating than Yuswardi and Watora. Honorable mentions for defenders Ari Tri (7.29) and Herry Sobolim (7.18).

The team of the year:
Next up is pre-season...

Pre-season went ok. We beat the lower teams and lost to the higher teams as you`d expect. Howether the losses to recently relegated Persebangga and Persbul, teams we should be competing with, were worrying. New "star man" Jati hasn`t played well but I will stick with his current role for now. Several late signings didn`t play in pre-season so at least we should be stronger when the league starts.

Next the season starts and we make the signing of the century! 8-|

So that went better than expected! The first game looked bleak as we were 3-0 down but Akmad Amiruddin saved the day with 2 goals before defender Herry Sobolim completed the comeback. In between the first and second game we added some, slight help...

Sergio Van Dijk

View attachment 184075

So I somehow find the best player in Indonesia available for 400 p/w with no teams interested... It`s probably due to the scouting role he asks for too, worth it though! He used to play in the Eredivise and was the Austrailian A-league top scorer a few years ago. Due to citizenship issues he only has a few caps for Indonesia but I expect more to come, being the countries best striker. I expect at least a goal a game from him, it`s the equivalent of putting Messi in a mid-table league 1 team! I reckon the title is ours now. I mean he`s so good you can even find images of him on google!

We also signed a young LB who will hopefully challenge for the starting spot immediately.
So despite Van Dijk scoring 3 goals with 2 assists in 2 games i`m going to give POTM to a surprisingly well performing signing as he played in all 3 games, maybe he thinks he`s still the star of the team...

Player of the month

Putut Waringin Jati
Goals: 1
Assists: 4
Avg rating: 8.43

Next up the goal machine rolls on...

So November brings the same vein of form. We started off relatively disappointingly with draws, one against relegation battlers Persibas, but won our last 3 games for another unbeaten month! We played our first cup game against a team a division above us and won away! Hopefully we can hold on in the second leg. Unsurprisingly we are top of the league at this stage and that title push I mentioned is coming along nicely.

Van Dijk "only" scored 3 in 5 but he`s just getting settled ;), he`ll be getting goals galore soon. Waringin Jati put up a good month again and defender Herry Sobolim played well, but in only 3 appearances. So Despite this "disappointing" month the Indonesian Messi is still carrying the team, so thereby...

Player of the month

Sergio Van Dijk
Assists: 3
Avg rating: 7.84

Next month that scrub Van Dijk finally gets a move on :p

Last edited:

A perfect month! The squad is gelling nicely and boy does it show! After a few tentative 1-2 goal wins we exploded on Persip for 6 goals! The league is definitely ours to lose now but I just don`t see that happening, we are in complete control of games and moral is through the roof. Our solid defense and vicious attack combine to form a force too strong for this level. We beat our main rivals Persiba Super comfortably to end any doubt I had that we are the best team here. We even progressed in the cup with two 2-1 wins over a side in the division above, and indeed i`m already thinking about playing teams like them next season and planing carefully, But the way the league works means we don`t actually get promoted or win anything until we go into a group of 4 other top 2 teams from the 4 league division, known as phase B, where I think we only need to finish in the top 3/4, but that can wait for now. It`s very confusing and annoying! Great...

I also signed a new goal keeper at the end of the transfer window in November and he already looks better than my current option.

So we have a strong all round defense and attack, but
with all these goals you don`t need to be a detective to figure who the culprit is when it comes to our success. With 2 hat tricks and goals in each game...

Player of the month

Sergio Van Dijk
Goals: 9!
Avg rating: 8.26

Next month we unleash total destruction on anything that dares challenge us...

I was expecting us to maintain our good form but I didn`t expect it to go this well! We are destroying the division and even beat teams in the division above 6-0 and 5-0 in the cup! We unbelievably played the 5-0 without Van Dijk, who committed a stupid tackle and is banned for 5 cup games, but we don`t seem to need him !The individual highlight of the month undoubtedly came in the 7-1 thrashing of Perseru where Van Dijk pulled a Watora and scored 4 goals by the 26th minute, before finally rounding off the game in stoppage time. Needless to say we are still top of the league as our win streak goes on, moral has hit a peak and we`re unstoppable, can we be the Indonesian invincibles?

The transfer window has played 2nd fiddle to our league run as we don`t need to improve much! Howether I did sign a starting DM called Johannes Sernay from the Super league who will hopefully be yet another player far below the level he should be. I also signed a rotation LB as he was very cheap, he will likely not get much playing time as we have young Eric Sokoy and last seasons top defender Ari Tri already.

Normally Van Dijk would run away with this, I mean he scored 12 goals in 5 games... But as he got himself banned in the cup for a tackle while we were 6-0 up in the last minute, and as he will likely get his fair share of awards, i`m giving POTM to a quieter contributor...

Player of the month

Akhmad Amiruddin
Goals: 7
Assists: 6
Avg rating: 8.3

Next month the unbeaten season is in jeopardy...

Last edited:

So we lost our 1st game this season. I tried everything but we just couldn`t get going against Persibom, strange to have such a comfortable defeat after so many wins... But other than that small blip we were perfect, winning all 4 other competitive games but by only 1 goal each. As well as the 2 league games we advance to another cup round, beating the winners of our league last season without Van Dijk yet again. I also arranged a friendly against a super league side when we had a gap, the money was too good to turn down. The result wasn`t surprising but it doesn`t really matter.

With Van Dijk missing 2 of the 5 games yet again someone else takes home POTM. For not getting below a 7, even in the 2 losses...

Player of the month

Rahmat Juliandri
Goals: 0
Avg rating: 7.54

Next the cup takes center stage...

The month started with yet another dominant win, with hat tricks from both our strikers. The month fizzled out a bit but we advanced in the cup again and now have Van Dijk back. The win against 2nd placed Perseba super has almost clinched us the title, but we now turn our attention to the cup as we are in the semi final! We have played premier division sides (division above us) each round but seem to have a break at this late stage as a 4th tier side (division below us) have somehow made it to the semis! While the other semi somehow involves the same 3rd division team we beat 6-1 to start the month, and the current super league champions... This gives me hope that the 2nd and 1st tiers aren`t that much better than us, maybe I wont have to change much once we go up.

With van Dijk missing 2 of 5 games POTM goes to the other striker...

Player of the month

Akhmad Amiruddin
Goals: 4
Assists: 2
Avg rating: 7.88

Next month the celebrations begin! Plus the semi final