npjones

Reaction score
Hey all. Llong time reader, first time poster here.

I'm playing 11.3 and towards the end of my second season with United. I've tried to sign Phil Jones every transfer window but with no success. I won the FA Cup and the EPL last year (and went out of the UCL semis to Inter 9-8 on aggregate!) so my managerial credentials should be good enough to sign a teenage prodigy from Blackburn!

Having offers accepted over and over the problem is with contracts, his agent sinply stating his client has "no interest" - a fact confirmed on his scouting page. I've started new saves as Arsenal and again as United. The result is Jonesy accepts Arsenal without question but will NEVER sign for MUFC.

I praise him often, after each meeting with them and around every transfer window but he just isn't interested. Will this continue forever or will he eventually buckle? Rio's back is starting to give out and reliable though Smalling and Evans are I always like to have 4 quality CBs.

I know Blackburn are geographically close to us but there's no intense rivalry there so the boy shouldn't feel disloyal for making the switch (saying that, i poached Micah from city for peanuts in the previous window and he didn't seem to have any issues moving to a rival).

I'm just concerned another big gun will snap him up as he is and has been number one on my wanted list since the start of the game!

I think the conclusion we can draw from this is Arsenal > Manchester United.

In all seriousness though, have you tried looking on his Personal Page or on the editor for 'Disliked Clubs: Manchester United'?

No, I haven't used the editor once since i bought the game (never like to tamper). But you're right, it's a good tool for getting to the bottom of things like this. I did consider that Arsenal might have a better rep for developing young talent, meaning he'd be keener to join them but I doubt anything that sophisticated is written into the game. Similarly, having four solid centre backs at MUFC wouldn't put him off, surely?

Oh and... the league table would beg to differ Redrup ;)

No, I haven't used the editor once since i bought the game (never like to tamper). But you're right, it's a good tool for getting to the bottom of things like this. I did consider that Arsenal might have a better rep for developing young talent, meaning he'd be keener to join them but I doubt anything that sophisticated is written into the game. Similarly, having four solid centre backs at MUFC wouldn't put him off, surely?

Oh and... the league table would beg to differ Redrup ;)

I'm almost 100% sure that FM isn't yet intelligent enough to include those as factors, I know for sure that there's no 'Reputation to Youth Players' stat.

PS: The League table is incorrect.

You and I both know all the pretty patterns in the world won't make up for no trophies in six years...

But seriously, two or three signings and you guys would tear the league to shreds! Just hope Wenger keeps his deep pockets nicely sewn closed.

I have no clue where I'd find the editor mate. I bought the disc and installed by steam, any idea where it'll be?

There was a change in 11.3 (not sure if it was deliberate or not), which makes it incredibly hard if not impossible to sign players from rival clubs, n matter how slight the rivalry, and blackburn are down as rivals in game

You need to wait for the player to be unhappy at the club and want to leave them, if you want to sign him without editing your save.

Checker out the editor.

Favourite clubs: Blackburn 100

Disliked clubs: none.

His adaptability and ambition are at zero, could that be an issue?

The only other problem could be his agent - I'm the only person on his disliked list. I imagine it's due to me selling O'Shea (his client) on my first day in the job, however he also represents chris smalling, negotiations with whom are always fine. I've even tried giving chris a new contract with a higher than standard agent fee to butter the guy up but it's changed nothing. Can an agents prejudice really stop a player from negotiating with you 100%?

Checker out the editor.

Favourite clubs: Blackburn 100

Disliked clubs: none.

His adaptability and ambition are at zero, could that be an issue?

The only other problem could be his agent - I'm the only person on his disliked list. I imagine it's due to me selling O'Shea (his client) on my first day in the job, however he also represents chris smalling, negotiations with whom are always fine. I've even tried giving chris a new contract with a higher than standard agent fee to butter the guy up but it's changed nothing. Can an agents prejudice really stop a player from negotiating with you 100%?

agents can make it a lot harder, but also see my answer above

There was a change in 11.3 (not sure if it was deliberate or not), which makes it incredibly hard if not impossible to sign players from rival clubs, n matter how slight the rivalry, and blackburn are down as rivals in game

Ahh okay, on the game the rivalry isn't visable bit the editor lists it at 30. This would also explain why I had difficulty bringing fellaini in from everton and yet he was so eager to come in once he'd moved away from there. Having poached Micah Richards from city though (100) and almost signed Zhirkov on a free from Chelsea (50), it doen't seem to fit that Jones wouldn't have any interest whatsoever. Will this rivalry stop me bringing him in fullstop, or will he be more agreeable if he's less than ecstatic there (a la richards).

Ahh okay, on the game the rivalry isn't visable bit the editor lists it at 30. This would also explain why I had difficulty bringing fellaini in from everton and yet he was so eager to come in once he'd moved away from there. Having poached Micah Richards from city though (100) and almost signed Zhirkov on a free from Chelsea (50), it doen't seem to fit that Jones wouldn't have any interest whatsoever. Will this rivalry stop me bringing him in fullstop, or will he be more agreeable if he's less than ecstatic there (a la richards).

if hes unhappy you have a better chance. if he's very happy you have little chance, you will need to unsettle him. Same issue with Cahill, and Rodwell if you are thinking about alternative targets, so get interacting now

yeah i will keep trying. the kid thinks im a joke though, disregards everything i say - hed rather listen to that tactical genius steve kean!

thanks for all the advice though guys, glad we got to the bottom of why hes not too keen.

be interested to hear back from anyone that has managed to signa rivals player and the circumstances surrounding it though :)

yeah i will keep trying. the kid thinks im a joke though, disregards everything i say - hed rather listen to that tactical genius steve kean!

thanks for all the advice though guys, glad we got to the bottom of why hes not too keen.

be interested to hear back from anyone that has managed to signa rivals player and the circumstances surrounding it though :)

i stopped trying to be frank, becuase i realised even if i could get then it would cost me a bomb in wages and transfer fees. I once got Je Hart becuase he was unhappy and wanted first team football, and handed in a transfer request, had to pay him 70k wages though.

How well are Blackburn doing in the league? If they go down they'll be more inclined to sell (Even though that isn't your problem, you might get him cheaper) and I imagine he'll be more inclined to leave. But yeah, just keep telling him you admire him, keep him sweet and maybe pounce if he rejects a contract or something. Maybe you could buy a great CB from another team, wait 6 months, offer him to Blackburn for pennies, they end up playing him more than Jones and bingo, no more first team football for him! :p

I managed to sign Phil Jones as Man Utd, you just need to be patient.

If You Can't Get Phil Jones Then Try Ryan Shawcross. I Got Him For Manchester United And He Would Score 20+ A Season. Another Defender Could Be Danny Wilson.