Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronan

Reaction score
PHILADELPHIA UNION – 0
MANCHESTER UNITED – 1

Obertan (76)

Attendance: 44,213

Gabriel Obertan secured Manchester United’s second victory on their tour of North America by scoring the only goal of the game to defeat Philadelphia Union at Lincoln Financial Field.

The French winger, whose first campaign at Old Trafford last season was blighted by injury, scored from close range on 76 minutes after being teed up by Danny Welbeck.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson started the game with senior figures Darren Fletcher and Dimitar Berbatov on the bench, opting instead to hand first-team experience to youngsters Tom Cleverley and Welbeck.

Both players had scored in the 3-1 victory against Celtic in Toronto on Friday and Ferguson will have been impressed by the pair of them again in Philadelphia.

Cleverley’s energy alongside Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs in midfield highlighted his attributes, while Welbeck showed the goal threat that Ferguson has long believed will see the Manchester-born teenager emerge as United’s first home-grown striker since Mark Robins in the late-1980s.

Welbeck should have scored either side of half-time after being set free inside the penalty area on both occasions.

The 19-year-old escaped his marker when he received a pass from Fabio da Silva 12 yards out on 36 minutes, but rather than pick his spot, Welbeck showed his inexperience by shooting straight at goalkeeper Brad Knighton, who saved the right-foot strike.

Welbeck was then released by Giggs on 47 minutes, but the youngster’s right foot volley flew inches wide of the Philadelphia far post.

The home side appeared more at ease with the stifling conditions, particularly in the second-half, and United’s frustration was borne out when Scholes received a first-half book

Philadelphia attempted to take advantage with substitute Jack McInerney shooting narrowly wide of Tomasz Kuszczak’s goal after being teed up by Danny Mwanga on 50 minutes.

Kuszczak then produced two stunning saves as the home side turned the screw, but United regained the upper hand with their better use of the ball, passing through the MLS outfit and using the space to cut open their opponents.

And their approach play bore fruit on 76 minutes when Obertan scored the winning goal after Welbeck’s run had split the Philadelphia defence.

Welbeck beat his marker before laying the ball off to Obertan, who scored past substitute keeper Brian Perk from ten yards.

Berbatov almost doubled United’s lead when he struck the crossbar with a turn and shot four minutes later.

PHILADELPHIA UNION (4-4-2): Knighton (Perk h-t); Orozco Fiscal, Arrieta (Stahl h-t), Califf, Harvey; Le Toux (Zimmerman h-t), Miglioranzi (Okugo h-t), Coudet (Nakazawa h-t), Fred (Jacobson h-t); Moreno (McInerney h-t), Mwanga (Rivas 61).

MANCHESTER UNITED (4-3-3): Kuszczak; O’Shea (De Laet 76), Brown (Smalling 61), J. Evans, Fabio (Rafael 61); Cleverley (C.Evans 61), Scholes (Fletcher 61), Giggs; Obertan, Macheda (Berbatov 61), Welbeck. Subs: Amos (g). Booked: Scholes.

Referee: M. Geiger (New Jersey)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TNtxYxn_vs"]YouTube- Philadelphia Union Vs Manchester United 0-1 - Gabriel Obertan Goal - July 21 2010 - [High Quality][/ame]

Ronaldo and Rooney esque that kind of goal

dont wana be picky but i have a friendly thread this could be posted in. i didint watch the game but i heard it wasent stright forward.

dont wana be picky but i have a friendly thread this could be posted in. i didint watch the game but i heard it wasent stright forward.

Sorry Mod, Actually Sorry Mini Mod

Get a room.
this. nice goal though. to be honest i just want everyone to get through without injuries, got enough as it is plus players resting from world cup duty

Status
Not open for further replies.