rmcog

Reaction score
Last edited:
I'm giving this a go now. I have an idea as to what your problem might be.

Here are my thoughts, as promised. Take a look at these two images that show the passes of my DLP Goretzka and the average positional heat map of the entire team.
View attachment 351157View attachment 351158

I think the main problems with this tactic in getting the regista involved are as follows:

1.) Tactic very narrow up top. A regista needs to be able to pass the ball long, short, forwards, backwards, left, right. As it stands right now, the regista has a mass of bodies in front of him, so many in fact, that there are no discernable options. The wingers need to stay wider, work the channels, and spread the play. I would do this not by expanding the Width slider, but by setting the IF's wideplay to "Move into Channels". And limiting the amount they swap positions.
2.) DLP mentality too attacking while centre backs too defensive. A good regista should almost walk the ball off the centre-backs, sitting right in between them for most of the play to always give himself options.
3.) Tempo too high. It may not seem that high, but the slower the better. The slower the tempo, the less impetus the players have for getting the ball forward to the front line; ergo, they will pass to the playmaker more often.
4.) Your centre midfielders are so close together they could almost kiss. It's a waste of a man in the centre of the park and instead of having 2 options to pass to in front of the regista, they're likely to both be marked out of the game by one person and there'll be no one for your regista to pass to. You don't need these guys swapping positions and roaming, they aren't where they should be when needed. Just look how many passes through the middle are cut out.
5.) Don't be afraid to adopt a deeper line, pushing up allows little room for freedom of passing range.

Awsome feedback I didn't notice how the two cm were operating as you said far too close I wanted them to seperate often and support the two inside forwards, the reason I wanted the frontline narrow is so they can draw the fullbacks in and create space for my overlapping wingback but as you said it is a bit too narrow and i will test with the new player instructions, also how would you reccomend setting up my midfield to bring out the regista

I would recommend doing the following:

1.) Set the CM's to non roaming, no swap. Set their wide play to "Move into channels"
2.) remove one of your wingers swap instructions, this should cut the amount of time they spend swapping position (i,e, traipsing across the centre of the pitch to swap) by half
3.) Give the DLP regista as high creative freedom as you can possibly allow, set passing ranged to the middle of the slider, lower his mentality to Defensive and remove his Roam from Position instructions.
4.) Raise both CB's mentality a little bit so they sit up closer to the regista.
5.) Finally, lower the tempo and increase time wasting a little bit (anywhere from 10-25% depending) while lowering the Defensive Line a little bit. This will encourage passes to the regista, and then more space for the regista to work in.

And MAYBE, remove the Regista as target man.. I'm not 100% certain there is any point in setting a target man in FM, and I often feel it does more harm than good to the balance of your team; unless used for its original purpose of utilising big brutes of centre forwards. But that's a personal preference of mine and by no means gospel.

Give these a go and see how you get on after a few games to bed the changes.