R.Belka

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan a tactic that incorporates a false 9 and false 10.

Formation- GK, DR, DL, DCR, DCL, DMC, MCR, AMCL, AMR, AML, ST

I don't know what strategy and philosophy to use or whether I should play Short or Direct passing.

There are two key roles

False 9- ST- Defensive Poacher- He'll go deep, draw out one/two defenders (at most) with his pace and receive the ball and pass towards the false 10 (AMCL),

To possibly achieve this, i would have the striker set to poacher, tick hold up ball (or not), and mentality to defensive (so he goes deep) and with a high run from deep setting, he will most likely revert back to his poacher role- I don't know if he should Move Into Channel or Cut Inside to receive a possible through pass from the False 10.

False 10- AMCL Trequartista- he'll be the centerpiece of the team. He'll have an attack duty, and he will run from deep (to co-ordinate a run with the False 9), and have mixed passing, with often through ball (increasing chance of the defensive poacher picking up the ball and then run for goal), and run with ball often as the guy i have in mind has a low long shot accuracy (and I do want him to rush towards goal at high speed as he has high Acc and Pace, along with dribbling).

Another focal point of attack are the two inside forwards- they have great goal scoring attributes and I want to use them; as they cut-inside (I want them to cut inside whilst False 10/9 have the ball) These two inside forwards will be supported by two attacking fullbacks/wingbacks- who will hug the touchline and offer a passing option for a cross.

With so much offensive power- i'm worried about things at the back, at present i have a DM (who will play a destroyer role- in a quasi-3 man midfield), and two CBs (who'll stay there and mark space rather than man. This will be a boon to direct-playing teams on the counterattack after a failed attack. The third man in my midfield is a Rightfooted MCL. He is the passer role in the team and his job is to connect with the False 9/False 10/Inside FW(L) and At. FB (L)- how would I get him back into a defensive position after passing the ball, incase possession is lost and the opposition initiates a counter?

Also worth pointing out is the possibility of how the opposing defence line will react- will they be smart enough not to take False Nine's bait and close his movement down by stand-off (and thereby forcing him to attempt a dribble, fortunately he has 19 acc 19 pace and 15 drib) or mark the inside forwards- and move down to restrict the false 10 into moving straight for the goalie (who will then rush out- and who will also negate the crossing threat from the fullbacks)- also Crucial- this tactic's effective does hinge on the goalkeeper's reaction- what if the goalie has a rushing out stat of 2? (essentially he's so slow at rushing out that he is actually in position to save any shot from the False 10/9 and Inside Forwards.)

I'm not a tactical expert- but i was reading a few articles at FMbase about False 10s/9s and tactical synergy and I need a tactic that can help me utilize my agbonlahor-like regen (and get him to score goals).

As I'm not a tactical expert- all I request is some feedback to an idea before I get started on it.

Last edited: