Player Attributes that need an Upgrade / Downgrade

Tomaz360

Reaction score
As always, FM make a few mistakes when attributing players' abilities.
I would like to use this thread so that users like can gain awareness of these mistakes and edit them when the pre-game editor comes out.

PLAYER - # Attribute (# What it should be); # Attribute (# What it should be)...

A few examples:
S. Aurier - 10 Marking (12-13); 10 Positioning (12)
J. Kimmich - 12 Crossing (16-18)
A. Valencia - 12 Crossing (14-15)
Ricardo Pereira - 10 Marking (12); 10 Tackling (12-13); 10 Positioning (11-12); 13 Dribbling (14)
R. Guerreiro - 10 Positioning (11-13); 10 Tackling (12-14)
Danilo Pereira - 12 Jumping Reach (14-16); 11 Heading (14)
H. Winks - 6 Positioning (10-12)
Óliver Torres - 6 Tackling (10-12)
Thiago - 10 Teamwork (12-14); 12 Positioning (14)
A. Martial - 8 Heading (10-11)
André Silva - 16 Finishing (14-15); 16 Work-Rate (17)
A. Griezmann - 14 Pace (15)
Aubameyang - 14 Finishing (15)
Cavani - 16 Finishing (15); 17 Off the Ball (19)

Aubameyang scores quite a few goals for Dortmund (or any club) run by the AI because of his Pace and Off the Ball. He is not the most consistent finisher in reality for Dortmund despite the sheer number of goals he scores, so I don't know that bumping him up, even by 1 point, makes that much sense. And could lead him to being overpowered

Trent Alexander-Arnold has better attributes than Naby Keita. That's all I say.

Trent Alexander-Arnold has better attributes than Naby Keita. That's all I say.

Ahh.... based on... what exactly?

They really aren't comparable. Keita is a notably better player.

Someone on the SI forum was talking about Alexander-Arnold being the best RB in the game. But that's honestly being blinded by mediocrity. Alexander-Arnold looks amazing at first glance because he has few attributes below 10. Most are between 10 and 14. In fact, almost everything is. He has 2 attributes that are 15 or above. One of those is Crossing, which is 15. Keita has 13 attributes that are 15 or above. His technical attributes aren't amazing, but he has some really nice mental and physical attributes to compensate.

Assuming he has the potential to get better, Alexander-Arnold could develop into a really good rightback. But he doesn't start as a world class RB. He starts as a solid one, with nicely rounded skills. He might be a standout for a lower level Prem club, but not one of the big ones.

Just checked a soak I ran until July of 2021. Keita is labelled world-class, worth 75m, and the best player at Liverpool. Trent Alexander-Arnold has actually developed a bit.... but he has played 27 matches for Liverpool in 4 seasons, been loaned out twice, and never averaged above 6.92 in the Prem. He's currently in the Liveprool U23 squad.

Salah, 16 finishing. Watching him as a Liverpool fan, his finishing is often very wanting

As always, FM make a few mistakes when attributing players' abilities.
I would like to use this thread so that users like can gain awareness of these mistakes and edit them when the pre-game editor comes out.

PLAYER - # Attribute (# What it should be); # Attribute (# What it should be)...

A few examples:
S. Aurier - 10 Marking (12-13); 10 Positioning (12)
J. Kimmich - 12 Crossing (16-18)
A. Valencia - 12 Crossing (14-15)
Ricardo Pereira - 10 Marking (12); 10 Tackling (12-13); 10 Positioning (11-12); 13 Dribbling (14)
R. Guerreiro - 10 Positioning (11-13); 10 Tackling (12-14)
Danilo Pereira - 12 Jumping Reach (14-16); 11 Heading (14)
H. Winks - 6 Positioning (10-12)
Óliver Torres - 6 Tackling (10-12)
Thiago - 10 Teamwork (12-14); 12 Positioning (14)
A. Martial - 8 Heading (10-11)
André Silva - 16 Finishing (14-15); 16 Work-Rate (17)
A. Griezmann - 14 Pace (15)
Aubameyang - 14 Finishing (15)
Cavani - 16 Finishing (15); 17 Off the Ball (19)

Mate, it's simply a matter of opinion, I disagree with most of yours and agree with more FM's. Kimmich is still young, he's not a bad crosser but nothing special just yet, I agree with 12, Oliver Torres, you are giving him too much defensive credit, I'm a Man Utd supporter and no way Valencia should be 14-15 crosses, rarely does one of his crosses result in a goal and he crosses a lot, Martial's heading at 8 is fine, I'm struggling to remember Martial ever heading the ball and downgrade for Cavani finishing by 1???? I think you're clutching at straws here. It is what it is and I will never adjust stats in the editor, you are virtually just customising the game (cheating) to suit yourself.

Iago Aspas, **** he is almost like world class striker. Owning in Citys team right now for me

Bendtner Finishing 13 and technique 15, both should be 20 or even 25!

Considering the fact that FM's database is used by clubs around the world as a scouting apparatus, I am going to assume they are quite on the money with player ratings :).

Considering the fact that FM's database is used by clubs around the world as a scouting apparatus, I am going to assume they are quite on the money with player ratings :).

Not great with lower leagues tho

Can someone explain why M. Asensio has 18 Finishing?
And why Mousa Dembele has 7 Vision?

Its been bugging me years how SI is making some youngsters too good to, even like more experienced than players who have played the same game on higher level for years and years more.
Other one is that they make some wonderkid wingers very good, but leave with ****** mentality and thus never reaching almost anywhere. Like they would be too op with great mentailtys.

they make some wonderkid wingers very good, but leave with ****** mentality and thus never reaching almost anywhere. Like they would be too op with great mentailtys.

Feel the same! Ousmane Dembele; Gelson Martins etc. Players that in my opinion are good decision makers, but the game doesn't reflect that; ousmane should have higher composure, better vision, gelson should have higher work rate...

Other one is that they make some wonderkid wingers very good, but leave with ****** mentality and thus never reaching almost anywhere. Like they would be too op with great mentailtys.

Mental attributes will generally improve over time, as much or more than technical ones. As long as the young wonderkid has potential to grow and gets matches, they will improve those mentals. In many cases, those limited mental attributes are accurate. Wingers are one of the positions where young players can get away with being incomplete. Mistakes are less costly on the wings is the theory. Where being quick and good on the ball can sometimes be enough for a player to be effective, if they aren't asked to do too much. But many young players never develop the rounded attacking skills to be more than that.

Not saying that SI researchers never do it to keep a young player from being "too good". But I've always had the impression they aare concerned with getting a player "right". Not in terms of a single skill mind you, but as a whole.

Feel the same! Ousmane Dembele; Gelson Martins etc. Players that in my opinion are good decision makers, but the game doesn't reflect that; ousmane should have higher composure, better vision, gelson should have higher work rate...

Curious how much Dembele you watched last season at Dortmund? Because I don't think I have heard anyone describe him as having good decision making. Quite the opposite - that is often noted as one of the things he needed to improve the most. He created a huge number of chances, but he very often made poor decisions, picked the wrong option, or just turned the ball over. He didn't pick the right pass or see the best option all that frequently. His pass completion percentage was well under 70% for a side predicated on keeping the ball.

Despite the price that Barcelona paid, Dembele is not one of the best players in the world at this point in time. He is one of the best young players in the world, with areas to improve. If he does that, he will be one of the best attacking players in the world.

In FM, he improves. Just took a look at a soak test I ran until 20201 and he has developed. Still not a truly rounded player and never will be - but he seems to do quite well for the AI, so I don't think those weak areas of skillset are too limiting.