mersk

Reaction score
So, FM 14 is here (well the beta anyway) and most of the attributes have probably come to stay, at least for a while. The question is, did SI get it right? Obviously it's impossible to please everyone, there will always be disagreements on what attributes the different players deserve. But let's at least try to look at this objectively.

Having said that, I realize that it might be hypocritical of me to look into the Liverpool team, as I'm a Liverpool fan. Then again, it's the team I'm most familiar with, so bear with me.

First of all, Simon Mignolet. I know he's the second choice behind Courtois, but let's face it, Liverpool replaced Reina with a better keeper. His shot stopping abilities are extraordinary, and his reflexes are amazing. Surely no one can argue with that? Yet he's been given a 16 Handling rating. Sure, 16 is good. It's very good, and Reina's 14 makes it seem pretty fair. Then again, Joe Hart has 17. I'm not saying Mignolet is a better goalkeeper than Hart (although I'd take that discussion on any day), but when it comes to handling? Yes, he is.
Now for the reflexes. Mignolet is given 15 here, with Reina also at 15. Joe Hart? 19. This makes absolutely no sense to me. Reina's reflexes has dropped significantly the last few years. He used to be like a cat on the line, making saves you usually only see in handball. The last couple years in Liverpool he acted more like a potato. In my opinion Mignolet's should be at least 17, and Hart's 17 at tops. Then maybe Reina could justify his 15 rating, although I'd prefer seeing it at 14.
By the way, who decided Mignolet has ****** positioning skills? It's rated at 9, which suggests he often finds himself in a bad position. So far this season I've yet to see this happen, at least as I can recall.
The agility doesn't help either, with Mignolet given 13 and Hart 18. I agree Hart is more agile, but not by 5 rating points.

All in all, I'm really disappointed with the attributes given to Mignolet. Here I am celebrating that Liverpool finally signed a top class goalkeeper after Reina's recent decline, yet he's rated a lot worse than I had expected. In my opinion he's one of the best goalkeepers in the league, and although I admit this view might be biased he's surely in the top tier?

There are of course several other player attributes I don't agree with, like Agger's and Sturridge's technical attributes. I also feel Sturridge's pace of 16 is too low, this should at least be 17 - once he puts on the turbo, you won't catch him. Also, Skrtel has been given 15 in both heading and jumping reach. Skrtel is not the best defender out there, by far, but if there's one thing he's good at it's getting high up there to win the headers.

I'm sure I'd find more to whine about if I tried, but a lot of it would probably be nitpicking. So, my question to you is, have you found players with attributes you feel are too low, or even too high? I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this, and of course mine are as subjective as anyone elses, but like I said let's at least try to be as objective as possible. I did, but feel free to let me know if you disagree.

PS: I noticed Messi has nine 20 ratings. That has to be some kind of record if you disregard regens. Then again, he's all about breaking records, so I suppose it's justified.

EDIT: Oh, and Tiago Ilori, described as a speed merchant who beat Ronaldo's and Pepe's sprint records in Sporting, has been given 13 in both acceleration and pace. Now that, is objectively plain wrong.

Last edited:
Not that i have seen Sturridge`s stats but i hear that they are the same as in 13 and that is too low. Now with the matter of Mignolet i couldnt agree more, if it werent for him Sunderland woulda been relegated. And he was undoubtely one of the best keepers in the BPL before he joined liverpool. Now i am a fan myself so this might be a bit biased, but i believe what i am saying here is correct.
Ta ta and farewell.

I agree about almost every point you made except a few, I think while Mignolet is better than Reina its not by much and while Mignolet having 15 reflexes is to low so is pepe's. watch the balotelli penalty save to see how fast he can react and get down. its reina positioning and consistency that got him in trouble the past few seasons but he certainly hasnt lot anything as a shot blocker and bot he and mignolet could use a boost imo, studge needs a boost as well. I think to answer your point though for the majority of the players you have to say yes SI got it right, there are exceptions and more than a few but thats the nature of the game. it can't be perfect, how do you pick precisely every single attribute or even every player right but they still try and succeed for a lot of them. I'm sure on every team there are a few players who you could gripe about but majority yeah I think they do a conservatively good job.

While we are on the subject of misrankings though, I think its ludicrous that Henderson only 15 work rate and 17 stamina. Dude is an absolute horse and seems to never get tired. Kuyt levels of endurance and he should have those stats well raised imo.

I agree, it can't be perfect and they are doing a great job. Most of the time I shrug away my own disagreements with the ratings, but some of them are just plain wrong for everyone to see. And yes, Henderson definitely deserves more in work rate and stamina, the guy could run 2 marathons without a break. And speaking of plain wrong attributes, I'd again like to point out Tiago Ilori's speed attributes. When you beat Ronaldo on a 40 meter sprint you shouldn't get 13 pace and acceleration, there's just no way of justifying that.

I think Ilori is the only one they have got seriously wrong so far. There are quite a few players you could argue deserve a 1-up on a few stats, but remember I think it is all based on last season, rather than the start of this one.

I think Ilori is the only one they have got seriously wrong so far. There are quite a few players you could argue deserve a 1-up on a few stats, but remember I think it is all based on last season, rather than the start of this one.

Yeah I know, but Mignolet was immense last season so I still feel he's been poorly rated. I've already sold him due to his low ratings.

Another one I disagree with is Messi has 17 long shots. That better than Ronaldo! Dont agree with that at all.

Sturridge was on FIRE last season. :p He had 11 in 15 last year if I remember correctly, that continued his form even better this year. He deserves it!

Sturridge was on FIRE last season. :p He had 11 in 15 last year if I remember correctly, that continued his form even better this year. He deserves it!

True, but I dont think he needs improving too much. Finishing 16, composure maybe 14 would be alright.

Another one I disagree with is Messi has 17 long shots. That better than Ronaldo! Dont agree with that at all.

They both seem to have 17? But yeah Messi's should be lower.

True, but I dont think he needs improving too much. Finishing 16, composure maybe 14 would be alright.
Havent played with him yet, but from what I heard from people, he is terrible. Hope it gets fixed!

Havent played with him yet, but from what I heard from people, he is terrible. Hope it gets fixed!

He is, but then it could be the tactics im using

We all have to agree that Ronaldo attitude in social media does not give him good stats of FM.

On the toher hand, Messi only plays like he plays because he plays with the same players almost for a decade!!! They even know is fart face before he makes one! Check him on Argentina NT to see if he does the same without Iniesta and Xavi and ERSBL (European Referees Sticked to the Barcelona Lobby)

I had a bit of an argument(which only became an argument when he got snappy) with the guy in charge of the Liverpool ratings for FM13 last year, in regards to Suarez' ratings. I was extremely disappointed with his finishing, work rate and teamwork attributes. I can't remember what they were but I think Suarez' finishing was 14, which I found ridiculous. I was then proven right when he went on to score 30 goals that season. His work rate is amazing, he runs his heart out and it has been fixed for this season. I still find his finishing rating of 15 a bit too low, should be higher with his composure on 14 but overall, I'm happy with his improvement.

The absolute first I noticed when I loaded up my first FM14 game was Mignolet's ratings. I think he is vastly underrated in this game. I agree about Sturridge also. I'm a big Lucas fan but I think he is overrated in the game.

Like you I'm perhaps showing Liverpool bias but I don't normally start using other teams, usually lower league teams until I get a bit more familiar with the game.

There are a fair few players with questionable attributes but that will happen every year. Townsend is a great example, only having 15 pace and I think 14 long shots? Also Lloris' Rushing Out should be 20 and his pace a bit higher, very quick and agile keeper.

However, there are some that are too high, Kyle Naughton is a fairly awful player, no idea why his 14 long shots and his positioning/tackling are so high. But the best of all in my opinion, Peter Crouch with 14 pace?

As for the Sturridge debate, I'd argue his Flair at 14 is one of the strangest decisions as he's a really skillful player.

is Suarez aggression 19 or 20 rating? and is he serving a 6 match ban at the start?

he should be.

is Suarez aggression 19 or 20 rating? and is he serving a 6 match ban at the start?

he should be.

He is serving the ban. Aggression is different from the dirtiness attribute (which is hidden, and I expect to be high for Suarez. He still isn't good enough in terms of stats, and the same can be said for Sturridge.

Forgive me, I doubt i'm gonna make any friends posting this. But this thread just seems like a load of Liverpool fans complaining about their players not being Supermen.

I think Suarez's rating is spot on. Look at him overall. He's an absolute beast. Easily a world class player. If you are not getting goals by the dozen with him, then it's not his stats that are the problem.

The old addage about temporary form and permanent class applies here. This weekend saw some unbelievable football from Liverpool. But i've seen my local conference team bag goals like that on a random day of magic. Such is football. If Suarez and Sturridge keep it up for the entire season, then we'll see if their stats deserve a little boost.

Also it should go without saying that Sturridge and Mignolet both have loads of room for improvement, so give your game a year or two and they'll be even better.