Player Concerned: Wants New Contract - But Won't Even Enter Negotiatians

jboehm

Reaction score
I'm in the first season of a lower league save with Blyth Spartans. I have a pretty solid young defender who's currently on a measly $35/week salary and understandably, he came to me wanting a better deal since he's played a lot of first-team football this last season. I said sure no problem, we'll get you a new deal within a month. He was happy, everything was fine, or so I thought.

Like a week later I went to give him a new deal but got the, "I'm not currently interested in entering into contract discussions with your club" message. It's not like I even ****** him off by offering bad terms, I was never even allowed to start talks at all. Here he is concerned because he wants a new contract (enjoys playing at the club, no previous issues at all), is happy because I promised I'd give him a new contract, but at the same time won't enter into talks for a new contract; it makes no sense.

Is this a bug? Is there anything I can do to get him to enter talks? His current contract runs out in 2 months so I'm worried I'll lose him.

-Edit:
After about a month, the initial "concerned" status went away, then a few weeks later, he came in again to have the same talk (concerned: wants a new contract --> me: ok, no problem --> not willing to enter contract discussions).

His contract expired, but he hasn't left; instead he's chosen to hang around on a month-to-month contract. He is still, "enjoying playing for the club" under General Happiness, is "concerned: wants improved contract" under Unhappiness Reasons, and under Head Coach Promises it says, "Pleased he will be offered a new contract within a month".

What the heck is going on?