Player development; reserves or under 20s to go with 1st team exp???

liam9lfc

Reaction score
Ok so in my Juventus save I've got quite a few youngsters/wonderkids that have world class potential but are currently eligible to play in all three of my squads (1st team, reserves, under 20s)

Most of them are 17-19 and include the likes of Benzia, Adryan, Leitner, Praet. (All of which at least a make the bench every game as you're allowed 12 subs in Serie A)

my question is which squad should I put them in for them to develop best? As sitting on the fist team bench and playing once every few matches surely won't do as much good as if they were tearing apart u20 teams and also getting the odd first team experience

not sure whether to have them in my reserves or u20s, what would you guys recommend?

Reserve and u20 teams don't aid a players development very much at all, all it does is keep them fit, also in the u20s they won't benefit from your first team training.

Player development happens through training and "Competitive" games and the more important a match is the more they will develop and because friendly, reserve and u20 games don't go down on their history page as games played, they give very little development to players. But if they are not going to play in the first team then the reserves is best as they will still benefit from your first team training set up. Don't loan them out, I find this hinders development due to you not being able to control what training they have.

Edit: Oh and give them some heavy individual training to get them to develop faster.

Last edited:
Oh really? I always thought that playing uncompetitive games would if anything help their development as they'll be playing well more often. Gonna keep them in my 1st team then and try and give them as much game time as I can :)

also what about If they play in the U20 champions league? Would that help their development as its competitive matches?

thabks for the help :D

Oh really? I always thought that playing uncompetitive games would if anything help their development as they'll be playing well more often. Gonna keep them in my 1st team then and try and give them as much game time as I can :)

also what about If they play in the U20 champions league? Would that help their development as its competitive matches?

thabks for the help :D

I don't know about the u20 champions league. They do gain a bit from reserve football, but it is only a very tiny amount.

Ok so in my Juventus save I've got quite a few youngsters/wonderkids that have world class potential but are currently eligible to play in all three of my squads (1st team, reserves, under 20s)

Most of them are 17-19 and include the likes of Benzia, Adryan, Leitner, Praet. (All of which at least a make the bench every game as you're allowed 12 subs in Serie A)

my question is which squad should I put them in for them to develop best? As sitting on the fist team bench and playing once every few matches surely won't do as much good as if they were tearing apart u20 teams and also getting the odd first team experience

not sure whether to have them in my reserves or u20s, what would you guys recommend?

I frequently loan out this type of player. But do some legwork before you complete any loan deals. Check training facilities, their squad depth, style and formation of play, etc... You'd ideally loan him to a team at the same level with top training facilities who will play him in your preferred postion as a key player.

I tend to keep this type of player for the first 6 months, when he will usually get around 10 games between cups and continental football, then will loan him out for the last 6 months, when he wont get as many games.

But, to echo the above, its not very worthwhile to leave players in your reserves or u20/u18 teams. At 17 I start loaning players out. If you think you can get your player 15 games a year, keep him in the first team the whole year, thats my rule of thumb.

Oddly enough, success on the field during a loan stint doesnt seem to impact development. I mean, i've had players get 40 games at a 6.3 average, and seen that same player develop in almost the same way after getting the same 40 games, but at a 7.2 average.