Player Discipline On The Pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
Just been thinking. Should a player be sent off for swearing at a referee? Initially it makes sense, as the FA is promoting the respect campaign in football. However, would it work? A player could repeatedly be sent off, but at the end of the day, even though he knows he'll get sent off, it probably won't change that player. However, the rules are inconsistent and getting more so. Some players swear and get sent off. Some swear, and nothing is done. So how can it be changed for the better?

When player is sent off, he should accept the ref's decision and just walk out of the pitch instead of swearing or throwing tantrums.

Best example was Fletcher. He was showed red card which was never a red card against Arsenal in the Champions league semi final. With that he missed the final which is the biggest match for any player at the club level. yet he didn't utter a word. Just walked away from the pitch.

Last edited:
I remember that very well. Why can't some other players act that professional. That would have killed him inside, but how he stayed so calm was exemplary

But I believe the same should happen to players who dive a red card should do the trick and up the fines a lot for professional players. Should take a percentage of their wage as their fine. Because, kids copy what professional's do. So if they see they diving, of course soon they will dive and etc.

Maybe parents should get involved too. The amount of times i've gone past a kids footie match, and heard the kid giving the ref a volley, and the mum/dad going "you tell 'im", or basically encouraging them to do it, is pretty dam scary.

well according to the laws of football you should send a player off for swearing full stop, even if he says f*ck off to a blade of grass. but common sense says otherwise, i think its all down to the ref really, eery ref refs differently. but at the end of the day the player should act the same no matter who it is and should really abude by the laws as much as possible and accept a decision made by the ref whether its right or wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.