Player Morale

rpashley

Reaction score
I need some help and advice regarding player morale, I am managing Villa at the moment but most of my big name players (Young, Carew, Laursen and Friedel all have low morale. I have set the win bonus to high but only my weaker players are happy. I have not scored a goal for 3 games and the teams play is disjointed I have tried several tactic variations and still nothing.

Any ideas???:mad:

Well if you haven't scored a goal in 3 games then no wonder they are unhappy.

If you have a cup game against a weak side coming up then make sure those 4 are playing. A big name signing usually boosts morale.

How far into the game are you?

players take a while to settle into new tactics so changing all of the time is not the answer you have to stick to a tactic, maybe a variation or two, but thats about it

Your team talks will affect the players as well, if they have really low morale, don't be too harsh on them

players take a while to settle into new tactics so changing all of the time is not the answer you have to stick to a tactic, maybe a variation or two, but thats about it

When you say a variation or two, do you mean in the selection? I'm having the same drama with my Hull side almost halfway through the season and I havent won a league game yet (dont laugh!).
I have tried to stick to a 442 best I can, praised them in the press when they have almost deserved it. Got them tutoring the youth players...... Maybe I'm just not a nice bloke!:|

no mate, variation as in say a MC moved to DM to be a bit more defensive, or vice versa, just try not to make massive overhalls of the tactics because form will suffer badly, it may take upto 6-7 games to be getting the best out of your formation, so changing it after a couple of bad results just unsettles the players again and your back to square one.

if you look at other threads about tactics people have found the same thing as me, stick with a tactics and just tweak it a little at a time and things should start falling into place.

unlike previous versions where certain tactics seemed to be better than others and people ended up with weird and wonderfull formations, the formation itself seems less important and more emphasis is now placed upon your players becoming used to the formation and style of play.

i've landed on my feet in this incarnation of the game because ive always tried to play the same way, in a simple 4-1-3-2 formation, it started out a bit ropey for me to begin with but i stuck it through and im getting the results... well apart from during an injury crisis, but that cant be helped.

also during a match dont be scared to give the lads the hair drier treatment at half time, if they dont like it, thats the least of your worried with no wins in half a season,

take things one step at a time, work out your worst weakness and try and improve it, for example if you are leaking goals like a Kevin Keegan side sort that out first before you face the problem of your goal drough at the other end, its easier to nap a one goal win than try and get striker that are struggling to score 3 or 4 goals a game to win the match.

sorry to harp on with such a long monologue, but have you tried managing at the very foot of the footballing hierachy? at the lowest level you see the biggest difference when you make adjustments, therefore making it easier to work out what does what, this includes moral, team gelling and tactical adjustments.

Last edited:
i would recommend releasing an external pessimistic view about them to the press. i done this with West Ham, Saviola and Ashton wer very poor but then went to Player interaction and said their recent form had upset me. They both agreed and vowed an improvent. Next Game Ashton scored two and went to Very Good whilst Saviola remains at OK, but that was significantly better compared to Very Poor.