Player Preferred Moves Guide: A Definitive Look

Did you find this guide useful?

• Yes

Votes: 240 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 6.6%

• Total voters
Very good guide mate :)
cheers. when FM11 comes out will do an update for it as well, i wonder if there will be any new ppms as well

cheers. when FM11 comes out will do an update for it as well, i wonder if there will be any new ppms as well

I assume there will be a few but nothing too strenous I should think.

Spoiler for learning best ppms

Hi first post but I've been viewing this site for a while and only been really focusing on ppms this last month.

I guess I'm stating the obvious here but there's a really easy way to teach your prospects the best ppms. Click on your prospect and to a criteria research for him. Change filters and systematically increase until you're left with the best similar players in the world. Check the graph to make sure it has a similar shape to your prospect, then teach all the ppms you like the look of to him. I've got a 90% success rate with this and may help explain why I'm on a 20 unbeaten run clear in first with everton in only the second season.

My biggest successes have been coleman at right back learning all of glen johnsons ppms, new signing gervinho learning ronaldos open play ppms and vaughan lefting to avoid the offside trap.

Great guide but that's the simply way if you aren't good at spotting a players best traits.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

I do have one question though guys, i couldn't teach vayghan any ppms for at least a season other than what my coach suggested (the manual bar just didn't exist). To my knowledge he wasn't being tutored or already learning something, any ideas? A bug in the game? Sorry for spelling typing on a phone.

yeah it sounds like a bit of a bug in the game. not sure what you can do about it to be honest, happeneds to me with anderson.

just a quick question about ppm's and team dynamic. I run 3 strikers (target, flanked by 2 poachers) as in JP Woody's version of Mr Houghs's tactic. Belfodil has moves into channels and Kadlec and Okoro (my 2 poachers) also have move into channels and beat offside trap. My backup targetmen and poachers also have these. Now I average 90+goals per season but was wondering am I doing more harm than good by having so many players being so similar?

An excellent post, well done. There are some inaccuracies though:
Although you have it in italics, i have been able to train players to arrive late in the area. maybe only certain players are able to learn it, but i have been able to train it.
The same goes for 'plays one-twos' and 'like to switch to other flank': perhaps the players you tested it on aren't natural in that position or were just unable to learn them. Maybe there's a pre-requisite PPM that needs to be trained first? I'll try to find that save and take some screenies, but i have seen all these as options recently.

Hey guys, should I ask eden hazard to unlearn run with ball through centre or should I keep the ppm? Currently I'm using him as an advanced playmaker on the wings and he's doing brilliantly. Whereas my Arshavin ain't doing that well... So what ppm should I get Arshavin to learn? He currently has cuts inside , runs with ball often , shoots with power and gets forward when possible. Thanks !

Hey guys, should I ask eden hazard to unlearn run with ball through centre or should I keep the ppm? Currently I'm using him as an advanced playmaker on the wings and he's doing brilliantly. Whereas my Arshavin ain't doing that well... So what ppm should I get Arshavin to learn? He currently has cuts inside , runs with ball often , shoots with power and gets forward when possible. Thanks !
well if Eden is playing well like that, leave it :p just remember, if you have them both as Advanced Playmakers, with default PI's they will automatically Cut Inside :D
Arshavin would probably benefit from not having Cuts Inside and either look for the pass or come deep to get ball would be a good selection as well as maybe run with ball often...

I've noticed that it's very beneficial if I taught all my strikers and attacking midfielders "Look for pass instead of shot".

I don't get any top goal-scorer, but usually around 5 players score over 15 goals per season.

Anyone else noted this?

How do you ask a player to learn a skill if he sees no point in learning that skill? Thanks !

An excellent post, well done. There are some inaccuracies though:
Although you have it in italics, i have been able to train players to arrive late in the area. maybe only certain players are able to learn it, but i have been able to train it.
The same goes for 'plays one-twos' and 'like to switch to other flank': perhaps the players you tested it on aren't natural in that position or were just unable to learn them. Maybe there's a pre-requisite PPM that needs to be trained first? I'll try to find that save and take some screenies, but i have seen all these as options recently.
they can learn it from other players, but im almost 99 percent sure it cannot be picked from the list, im also sure plays one twos is a hidden ppm gourcuff has it, but in making this guide i didnt realise he had until i checked the complete list in fmrte

Hi..sorry i dont know how to post pic..but can you pro tell me what PPM for Welliton, my lone striker plz..thanks very much. he original skill was "look for pass rather than score"

Last edited:
Hi..sorry i dont know how to post pic..but can you pro tell me what PPM for Welliton, my lone striker plz..thanks very much. he original skill was "look for pass rather than score"
i have no idea what his stats are, but if hes the lone striker he should definitle unlearn looks for the pass

Hi guys, I saw Xavi's preferred moves and I found out that he's playing short simple passing. Is that good and let Fabregas learn? Another question, if a player refuses to learn that move, is there any other way to make him learn? Thanks !

Very useful thread, thanks for that MadSheep.

I do have a question for anyone with the knowledge:

What is the max number of PPM's a player can learn from tutoring? I currently have a young regen with 7 PPM's and was wondering if he can learn even more. Cheers

What is the max number of PPM's a player can learn from tutoring? I currently have a young regen with 7 PPM's and was wondering if he can learn even more. Cheers

Umm.. i thought it was a maximum of 6 ppm's but maybe im wrong

he wont learn anymore, the max is usally 5, but some players start with more

he wont learn anymore, the max is usally 5, but some players start with more

He actually started with only 1 PPM (Plays way out of trouble), and has learnt 6 more. All through tutoring. But i reckon he wont learn any more then surely <)

He actually started with only 1 PPM (Plays way out of trouble), and has learnt 6 more. All through tutoring. But i reckon he wont learn any more then surely <)
tutoring is different i think. in terms of teaching through interaction its 5. but i very much doubt he'll learn more lol