player roles required for top tactic making

nezza6969

Reaction score
hi guys I'm posting this thread out there for fellow tacticians and FM managers to see if we all can create an epic tactic for us all that would achieve many goals during our making,

first thing first though we need to have player roles that have been successful before we even think about formations styles so any recommendation would simply be fantastic.

second we need then to discuss team instructions, which has gone good against home & away, would it be contain? counter? attacking? defending? we need to approach this for home and away.

third would be player instructions we all know what this means but what has been crucial in your style of play? is it pass shorter? close down more? run wide with the ball? we need a closer look into these for our defenders, midfielder's and attackers.

fourth would be general training & match training throughout the whole season, but we need to find out which one is better for certain games or maybe just one to rule them all.

Fifth of course would be the formation settings not only though for our own tactic but also against different teams, for instant what beats a 4-4-2, 4-1-2-2-1, 4-2-3-1 wide & Narrow? we need to again look into this closely, and if all comes good we could finally have a tactic to be proud off.

so guys get your thinking caps on and get this baby started.

P.S ( for tactic testers ) I would be very grateful for you's to test our tactic's along the way to see if there's any improvement during the proccess, cheers.

i'll get the ball rolling.

for players roles i have came across 3 specific roles that have a lot of goals scored and assist and that would be left a striker as a poacher with a right striker as a complete forward on support, in my 3-2-3-2 my poacher had scored nearly every game with a tally off 48 goals in half a season with the right complete forward assisted 32 of them goals.

also in my 4-1-3-1-1 i had a poacher up top on his own with an trequartista behind him in the AMC role, my poacher got 34 goals in 17 games with the trequartista assisted in 29 of them

• tac.gif
    Nezza's 3-2-3-2.tac (1.0 KB)
  • tac.gif
    Super 4-1-3-1-1.tac (928 Bytes)

My best results so far in FM14 have come from having 3 Defenders and 2 wing backs, as long as you have very attacking wingbacks they are more useful than wingers.

My best results so far in FM14 have come from having 3 Defenders and 2 wing backs, as long as you have very attacking wingbacks they are more useful than wingers.

what are your WB's set on?

Im a fairly intensive tester of tactics, seasonally rather than game by game. I just ran a test on a Neutral Testing League, the results for those tactics you posted did not go well... Nezza got 16th out of 16th and Super got 12th. Thats not to say there is anything wrong with them, Ive seen tactics work crazy successfully that have been crushed 3 out 4 times I tested them in a league... I used tactics that worked for 3 years than just stop after a small speed bump!

P.S ( for tactic testers ) I would be very grateful for you's to test our tactic's along the way to see if there's any improvement during the proccess, cheers.

It ended with Nezza staying in 16th/16 and Super dropped to 14th. Ill run again tomorrow

If I am playing against a weaker side away I'll be on standard for 15 minutes. See how well the team play, if they are being cautious I'll go to counter for a bit with the shouts "drop deeper, play wider, direct passing" the idea is that you will sit back brining the opponent into a false sense of security and then hit them on quick breaks. Of course it doesn't always work but it is a good strategy to use against any team that parks the bus.

I never approach the game any differently unless it is away to City, United etc where I will be defensive. I use standard at all times so I can see what the opponent will do before me.

I wouldn't say that PI's have been crucial. I changed my DLF to move into channels and he went into a rich vein of goalscoring which helped me land top 4 with Sociedad which I guess you could say was crucial at the time but it isn't something I overly rely on.

I have 5/6 weeks of intense pre-season training where I work on; fitness, tactics and cohesion (if signed a group of players) so training during the season doesn't really bother me. I never change it. If I finish pre-season where I am training tactics then it'll stay like that until next May. Why would I train attacking for all of my players? Doesn't make sense.

I don't think there is a best way to beat certain formations. In FM13 i relied on play wider and exploit the middle against the 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 when I was playing 4-3-3. Idea is stretch the play so there is gaps and use your numerical advantage to dominate the game, doesn't seem to work as well in this version however. Play narrow and exploit the flanks is another I used against narrow formations with little success.

My point is, you could beat Palace's 4-2-3-1 by playing one way but that doesn't mean you should line up the same way, same shouts and same strategy against Chelsea's 4-2-3-1. It all depends on the weaknesses and strengths of the opponent.

Although against a 4-2-3-1 I always man mark their CAM and show their wingers onto the weaker foot. It seems to limit their play quite a lot.

EDIT: Match training helps me to some extent. If I am playing against City etc away then it'll be defensive positioning. City at home then attack set pieces. It has brought me success so I keep with that method against the bigger sides.

Defensive positioning - Away from home at all times unless against really weak side.
Attack movement - Home all times unless against a bigger opponent then attack set pieces
Tactics - Always in pre-season so they can get fluid quicker
Def. Set pieces - Against Tony Pulis

Last edited:
Im a fairly intensive tester of tactics, seasonally rather than game by game. I just ran a test on a Neutral Testing League, the results for those tactics you posted did not go well... Nezza got 16th out of 16th and Super got 12th. Thats not to say there is anything wrong with them, Ive seen tactics work crazy successfully that have been crushed 3 out 4 times I tested them in a league... I used tactics that worked for 3 years than just stop after a small speed bump!

these two tactics where for examples of the poacher and treq and Complete forward , i notice good creativity coming from them certain roles

It ended with Nezza staying in 16th/16 and Super dropped to 14th. Ill run again tomorrow

no need to test these tactics mate , these are my old one's, but once we have developed a good set amount of tactics i'll let you know, cheers

If I am playing against a weaker side away I'll be on standard for 15 minutes. See how well the team play, if they are being cautious I'll go to counter for a bit with the shouts "drop deeper, play wider, direct passing" the idea is that you will sit back brining the opponent into a false sense of security and then hit them on quick breaks. Of course it doesn't always work but it is a good strategy to use against any team that parks the bus.

I never approach the game any differently unless it is away to City, United etc where I will be defensive. I use standard at all times so I can see what the opponent will do before me.

I wouldn't say that PI's have been crucial. I changed my DLF to move into channels and he went into a rich vein of goalscoring which helped me land top 4 with Sociedad which I guess you could say was crucial at the time but it isn't something I overly rely on.

I have 5/6 weeks of intense pre-season training where I work on; fitness, tactics and cohesion (if signed a group of players) so training during the season doesn't really bother me. I never change it. If I finish pre-season where I am training tactics then it'll stay like that until next May. Why would I train attacking for all of my players? Doesn't make sense.

I don't think there is a best way to beat certain formations. In FM13 i relied on play wider and exploit the middle against the 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 when I was playing 4-3-3. Idea is stretch the play so there is gaps and use your numerical advantage to dominate the game, doesn't seem to work as well in this version however. Play narrow and exploit the flanks is another I used against narrow formations with little success.

My point is, you could beat Palace's 4-2-3-1 by playing one way but that doesn't mean you should line up the same way, same shouts and same strategy against Chelsea's 4-2-3-1. It all depends on the weaknesses and strengths of the opponent.

Although against a 4-2-3-1 I always man mark their CAM and show their wingers onto the weaker foot. It seems to limit their play quite a lot.

EDIT: Match training helps me to some extent. If I am playing against City etc away then it'll be defensive positioning. City at home then attack set pieces. It has brought me success so I keep with that method against the bigger sides.

Defensive positioning - Away from home at all times unless against really weak side.
Attack movement - Home all times unless against a bigger opponent then attack set pieces
Tactics - Always in pre-season so they can get fluid quicker
Def. Set pieces - Against Tony Pulis

fantastic analysis mate, lucky for us we have 3 tactic slots for certain teams that play different tactics, iv'e had the same situation when playing many teams that use a 4-2-3-1 system, i think our best bet is to try and find a formation that can out class an 4-2-3-1, so far iv'e used an 4-3-3 and a 4-2-4 and manage to beat teams using 4-2-3-1.

i'm not entirely sure about this though but i heard a 4-1-2-2-1 have better advantage over the 4-2-3-1 but i need further confirmation though.

i think to keep things simply when creating 3 tactics i might use 1 certain style but can be converted into the other 2 during game play i was thinking 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-2-1 & 4-2-4 this way when purchasing players they will suit this kind of formation and there won't need to be selling your best wingers or AMC.

i was thinking about replicating jasser and Chrissy 4-2-4 tactics since these two took to me, with Jasser attacking play and Chrissy pressure play this could be crucial when mixed together

no need to test these tactics mate , these are my old one's, but once we have developed a good set amount of tactics i'll let you know, cheers

I know, I just test all tactics for fun. The one thing I've noticed is when testing over and over is that the tactics that always destroy the entire league and seem to beat all of the human tactics is 4-2-2-2, 4 defenders, 2 midfielders, 2 attacking fielders and 2 strikers. With out fail the last 15 test leagues Ive done, this is the tactic thats won.

The only tactics I have really done well with so far on FM14 are 5-3-2's, I've barely been able to make an acceptable 4-5-1 or
4-3-2-1. Attacking Wingbacks have been performing extremely well for me in these tactics anyway, far better than any other role.

Personally, I've found that Philosophy is perhaps more important that strategy this year. If you choose a sensible strategy (Control / Counter I've found to be the most stable), changing philosophy can have a huge impact on results for both home & away games.

I know, I just test all tactics for fun. The one thing I've noticed is when testing over and over is that the tactics that always destroy the entire league and seem to beat all of the human tactics is 4-2-2-2, 4 defenders, 2 midfielders, 2 attacking fielders and 2 strikers. With out fail the last 15 test leagues Ive done, this is the tactic thats won.

that's fantastic mate, iv'e been getting a few inbox messages saying that an 4-2-2-2 does really good against all styles of formations so maybe 4-4-2, 4-2-4 & 4-2-2-2 could be on the cards here

The only tactics I have really done well with so far on FM14 are 5-3-2's, I've barely been able to make an acceptable 4-5-1 or
4-3-2-1. Attacking Wingbacks have been performing extremely well for me in these tactics anyway, far better than any other role.

iv'e tried a few with 5 at the back ( 3 x CB's - 2 x WB's ) but it still's lack at the back which i find confusing since this would be solid at the back but the ME doesn't

Personally, I've found that Philosophy is perhaps more important that strategy this year. If you choose a sensible strategy (Control / Counter I've found to be the most stable), changing philosophy can have a huge impact on results for both home & away games.

indeed mate this is crucial this years FM, it's why i'm gonna set up 3 style of philosophy maybe control, attacking & counter but i'm a bit concern about the counter though since iv'e seen plenty of cards when i use this in one 1

iv'e tried a few with 5 at the back ( 3 x CB's - 2 x WB's ) but it still's lack at the back which i find confusing since this would be solid at the back but the ME doesn't

The answer to that is in 2 things, how you set roles / duties of your CB's and what roles / duties you set for CM's. 3 at the back doesn't let you off the hook for having a holding / defensive minded midfielder.

5-3-2 is also flexible. You can pull the WB back and push the Centre DC forward for a 4-1-3-2, you can also push the Centre CM forward for a 4-1-2-1-2, also you can drop an MC back into a Regista role, and drop a striker back to MC for a 3-3-2-1-1.

There are one or two outstanding examples of this on the site. Good thread mate, lots to discuss here.