NiceToMichu

Reaction score
I'm relatively OK on Football Manager 2014 when it comes to tactics. I often achieve what is needed, never really exceed expectations.
So I feel one of my downfalls is not being able to link player & team instructions together correctly. Are PI's important towards making a successful tactic?
Also, does anyone have tips for using PI's?

Thanks in advance.

Where possible, try to match Player Instructions to your player's Preferred Moves. For example, my Southampton team plays a short-passing possession game but James Ward-Prowse has 'Likes To Switch Play Often' and 'Tries Long-Range Passes' both listed among his Preferred Moves. So with him playing as a Deep-Lying Playmaker, I tell him to play More Direct Passes so he can switch the play to the left flank when we get blocked on the right, and vice-versa - all the better to utilise the pace of the wingers. Then I trained younger players who rotated into the same position to give them the same Preferred Move, so I can play the same way even when JW-P isn't available.

I have an Advanced Forward who likes to place shots, so I tell him to Move Into Channels to maximise his opportunities to do that; I have a world-class Trequartista/Advanced Playmaker who can dribble at pace, so I tell him to Dribble More - and I altered his role further after watching what was working for him during the match animation. When I play a tall Complete Forward, I get the wingers to Float Crosses and Aim Crosses At Target Man. Luke Shaw used to get forward and then always pass square, so I now instruct him to Cross More Often.

Get to know your players' Preferred Moves; train them to have whichever PMs suit or complement the way you want the team to play - get as many round pegs in round holes as you can across your formation. And think about how pairs of players will interact across the field. If I want Luke Shaw to overlap down the left-wing on attacking mode, then the guy in-front at AM_L should be a right-footed Inside Forward_Support who Sits Narrower so he can combine with Shaw and get into the area for his cross. The Shadow Striker in the No.10 position works best with a Deep-Lying Forward in-front of him. If my right-sided AM is on attack duty, then my right-back will break his neck if I try to get him to overlap, so the DR is on Support duty. If you want to play a possession-based game, get the Goalkeeper to Pass Shorter and Distribute To Defenders, etc.

Where possible, try to match Player Instructions to your player's Preferred Moves. For example, my Southampton team plays a short-passing possession game but James Ward-Prowse has 'Likes To Switch Play Often' and 'Tries Long-Range Passes' both listed among his Preferred Moves. So with him playing as a Deep-Lying Playmaker, I tell him to play More Direct Passes so he can switch the play to the left flank when we get blocked on the right, and vice-versa - all the better to utilise the pace of the wingers. Then I trained younger players who rotated into the same position to give them the same Preferred Move, so I can play the same way even when JW-P isn't available.

I have an Advanced Forward who likes to place shots, so I tell him to Move Into Channels to maximise his opportunities to do that; I have a world-class Trequartista/Advanced Playmaker who can dribble at pace, so I tell him to Dribble More - and I altered his role further after watching what was working for him during the match animation. When I play a tall Complete Forward, I get the wingers to Float Crosses and Aim Crosses At Target Man. Luke Shaw used to get forward and then always pass square, so I now instruct him to Cross More Often.

Get to know your players' Preferred Moves; train them to have whichever PMs suit or complement the way you want the team to play - get as many round pegs in round holes as you can across your formation. And think about how pairs of players will interact across the field. If I want Luke Shaw to overlap down the left-wing on attacking mode, then the guy in-front at AM_L should be a right-footed Inside Forward_Support who Sits Narrower so he can combine with Shaw and get into the area for his cross. The Shadow Striker in the No.10 position works best with a Deep-Lying Forward in-front of him. If my right-sided AM is on attack duty, then my right-back will break his neck if I try to get him to overlap, so the DR is on Support duty. If you want to play a possession-based game, get the Goalkeeper to Pass Shorter and Distribute To Defenders, etc.

You sir, are a diamond! I've never really considered the PPM's -.- Will definitely look into them! Ha