Ma-Li

Reaction score
When asking a youngster to learn from a senior player, there are 3 options:

a) State that you see "X" as the ideal role model for "Y"
b) State that you think "X" would benefit by adopting "Y"'s approach to the game
c) State that you think "X" can learn from "Y"

What's the difference between each option??? Does one help advance technical skills, whilst another helps with mental attributes???

And how do you know which player would be the "right" tutor for which youngster???

I've fumbled my way thru this for a while now, so thought it was about time I asked and found out for certain!!!

My perception is that it's in order of hierarchy;that is the more you think the player would benefit from the other,the higher you should choose.For example,if you are not so sure,best choose 'c' and so on.And usually,you'd have to take their positions and personalities into consideration.Hope this helps.

I wondered that myself when I was messing with it yesterday, I always tend to choose the top one though because on most things in FM, the top option is the strongest, middle is average and bottom is poor.

im using velan and van persie cba to use 'x' and 'y'

-State that you see van persie as the ideal role model for vela - means if vela worked closely to van persie performance on the pitch vela's stat will improved much faster than normal. if it went ok then vela would basicially be the clone of van persie, van persie would past his experience, knowledge to vela.

basicially 'a' is the best option because it is all three put together, b and c are useless

its very confusing, its very hard to explain to another person you can only work it out yourself you will only notice the difference between them when you have actually tried them out for yourself.

i would use the 'a' option because i know how it works and etc. you probs dont so what i would recommend you do is start three different games 1,2,3

1) do the 'state you see van persie as the idea; role model'
2) do the 'state you think vela would benefit by adopting van persies approach to the game'
3) do the 'state that you think vela can learn from van persie'

and see the different between them which turns out best might take long but thats the only way you would find out

thats what i done on fm 08 tho.

I was thinking about that yesterday too... And i couldn't find out which one af them, were the best.... But thx :)

im using velan and van persie cba to use 'x' and 'y'

-State that you see van persie as the ideal role model for vela - means if vela worked closely to van persie performance on the pitch vela's stat will improved much faster than normal. if it went ok then vela would basicially be the clone of van persie, van persie would past his experience, knowledge to vela.

basicially 'a' is the best option because it is all three put together, b and c are useless

its very confusing, its very hard to explain to another person you can only work it out yourself you will only notice the difference between them when you have actually tried them out for yourself.

i would use the 'a' option because i know how it works and etc. you probs dont so what i would recommend you do is start three different games 1,2,3

1) do the 'state you see van persie as the idea; role model'
2) do the 'state you think vela would benefit by adopting van persies approach to the game'
3) do the 'state that you think vela can learn from van persie'

and see the different between them which turns out best might take long but thats the only way you would find out

thats what i done on fm 08 tho.

this is not necesarrily the case. player personalities are the most important thing here. if you have a young ambitious hotshot (maybe one who has been mouthing off to the media about not starting enough games) its not the best idea to pair them up with your high profile playboy superstar (im thinking both ronaldos, mutu, joaquin, etc.) its a much better idea to follow the player description and pair the youngster with an experienced wise old head, who does his job week in week out with minimal fuss. hopefully your olds pros professionalism will rub off on the youngster and you will see theri game improve and have less outbursts from them too. manutd are lucky in having three 'model pros' in neville giggs and scholes. its players like this you need to utilise. other examples include maldini, raul, ferdinand (seems to be loved by every player he comes anywhere near) casillas, essien, terry. 'born leaders' and club captains are always a good bet too.

i do agree that the 'abc' system means A will link the players more closely than C, but this is only any good if you have the right role model.

think of real life. if you were danny welbeck would it be better to hang around with roanldo or giggs? sure u may learn some great skills with ronny, but you will also get into women, cars, partying etc. whereas giggs can still show you the ins and outs of top flight football but will also show you (and i think the quote is) 'an insight into the mental aspect of the game, both on and off the pitch'

so its simple really, if you have lots of model pros and wise old heads dotted about among your squad and reserves (even if they arent playing regular football) then by all means pair up your youngsters using the 'A' option mentioned in above posts. if you are a little less convinved by the older players professionalism then i would say go for 'B' and if you have a squad of countless playboy show off superstars and no gary nevilles but still want to try to link your youngsters with them, try option 'C'

hope this helps.

this is not necesarrily the case. player personalities are the most important thing here. if you have a young ambitious hotshot (maybe one who has been mouthing off to the media about not starting enough games) its not the best idea to pair them up with your high profile playboy superstar (im thinking both ronaldos, mutu, joaquin, etc.) its a much better idea to follow the player description and pair the youngster with an experienced wise old head, who does his job week in week out with minimal fuss. hopefully your olds pros professionalism will rub off on the youngster and you will see theri game improve and have less outbursts from them too. manutd are lucky in having three 'model pros' in neville giggs and scholes. its players like this you need to utilise. other examples include maldini, raul, ferdinand (seems to be loved by every player he comes anywhere near) casillas, essien, terry. 'born leaders' and club captains are always a good bet too.

i do agree that the 'abc' system means A will link the players more closely than C, but this is only any good if you have the right role model.

think of real life. if you were danny welbeck would it be better to hang around with roanldo or giggs? sure u may learn some great skills with ronny, but you will also get into women, cars, partying etc. whereas giggs can still show you the ins and outs of top flight football but will also show you (and i think the quote is) 'an insight into the mental aspect of the game, both on and off the pitch'

so its simple really, if you have lots of model pros and wise old heads dotted about among your squad and reserves (even if they arent playing regular football) then by all means pair up your youngsters using the 'A' option mentioned in above posts. if you are a little less convinved by the older players professionalism then i would say go for 'B' and if you have a squad of countless playboy show off superstars and no gary nevilles but still want to try to link your youngsters with them, try option 'C'

hope this helps.

I know that of course.

but look at arsenal do you see an scholes or giggs? no thats why i went for RVP who is by far the closest type to vela. and etc.

Last edited:
i wasnt diagreeing with pairing vela and rvp, but u also said that because of option A, options B and C are useless. i just wanted to stress to the original poster that personality of players is so so important.

lol agreed that aresnal dont have any scholes or giggs. but they do have experience none the less. fabregas is hardly a rookie and to me seems to be a very professional player, great role model for ramsey or wilshire. as a goalie myself i cant think of too many keepers i would prefer to learn under than almunia (and im a united fan) gael clichy is one of the best left backs in the prem and your young left sided player (gibbs?) could learn from him.

im not saying my theory is perfect, ive had youngsters learn from ronaldo and other known 'bad influences' (mutu and adriano spring to my mind) and the relationship works well. but this is often not the case i have found. IMO its much better to stick to model pros and experience for role models.

i wasnt diagreeing with pairing vela and rvp, but u also said that because of option A, options B and C are useless. i just wanted to stress to the original poster that personality of players is so so important.

lol agreed that aresnal dont have any scholes or giggs. but they do have experience none the less. fabregas is hardly a rookie and to me seems to be a very professional player, great role model for ramsey or wilshire. as a goalie myself i cant think of too many keepers i would prefer to learn under than almunia (and im a united fan) gael clichy is one of the best left backs in the prem and your young left sided player (gibbs?) could learn from him.

im not saying my theory is perfect, ive had youngsters learn from ronaldo and other known 'bad influences' (mutu and adriano spring to my mind) and the relationship works well. but this is often not the case i have found. IMO its much better to stick to model pros and experience for role models.

indeed vela tutored by rvp, fabregas - ramsey, senna tutors denilson:)

SENNA, i forgot about him. now theres a pro anyone can learn from. I think i'll go sign him now. just a few questions. what season are you in? does he deteriorate quickly? i dont want to waste a few mill on a player who may not be up to prem footy in a season or 2.

thanks

nah hes quality in my 6th season and i just stopped playing him now(getting too old).

hes about to turn 38 got him on a player/coach contract.:)

i want to wait till the new patch comes out then gonna start again with arsenal.

his stats stay the same just his pace that goes down..

ok thanks for that. sound like hes worth the money, not usually a fan of signing older players. but he was quality in the summer for spain (brazil must be kicking themselves)

best player coach for me is always pavel nedved, hes unreal!!!

yeah i'll continue a couple of games as they are so far in (and far fetched) im sheffield united on one and just beat chievo in champs league semi.... mind u im in 2019 so u never know.

but mostly all footy man is on hold until the new patch comes out. if they keep to their word thats two days or less!!

ok thanks for that. sound like hes worth the money, not usually a fan of signing older players. but he was quality in the summer for spain (brazil must be kicking themselves)

best player coach for me is always pavel nedved, hes unreal!!!

yeah i'll continue a couple of games as they are so far in (and far fetched) im sheffield united on one and just beat chievo in champs league semi.... mind u im in 2019 so u never know.

but mostly all footy man is on hold until the new patch comes out. if they keep to their word thats two days or less!!

indeed havent been playing fm for the past days waiting for it to come out then start again with arsenal:)

2019! wow lol