Player wages - or "how to put an end to having fun"

Teiwaz

Reaction score
Am I the only one who's frustrated to an extent no words can describe with how much through the roof player's wage demands suddenly get?

Sure, I had a great season and out of sheer luck I won the Euro League (until semi-finals I played "weak" teams only coming from non-simulated leagues and - as it seems to me - that makes things easier).

Sure, my wage budget got a tremendous boost (from 290ish to 380ish k p/m).

But players now demanding ~4times in wages, plus loyalty bonus sky rocketing from <5k to 100k+ for a 4 year contract, plus divisional bonuses ~50k? Not counting those greedy agent bastards fee.

I wouldn't argue about an increase that's somehow related to the increase in my wage budget, let's say +35% or even +50% - ****, I would even double their wages through the bank, but +300%?!

Sure, there's still more than enough money left (didn't even use half of my transfer budget) but all that came from a ridiculously awesome season and I don't think that those demands reflect any of it or whatever the player's wages have been before. Some of those initial demands are way above what I'm even allowed to pay!

I don't know if I did something wrong (except for being lucky I guess...) or if this is just something I'll have to deal with. It's really really frustrating and jaw-dropping to see a formerly ~10k p/m player now demanding ~35k p/m (not counting bonuses) and unless I'm not 100% sure that's "just like it is" it's killing a huge amount of fun (and even then it's still frustrating and not so funny).

I know that feeling mate. The more money your team have, the more players demand. I played a cheat save with liverpool once, and gave them something like a £1b wage budget, and then players like Wellington Nem, (Who I could get for like £10k?(Cant remember exactly, but it wasnt very high) without cheats) is asking for like 200k!

Try to have a 16 year player asking for 100k per week like i have...

I know that feeling mate. The more money your team have, the more players demand. I played a cheat save with liverpool once, and gave them something like a £1b wage budget, and then players like Wellington Nem, (Who I could get for like £10k?(Cant remember exactly, but it wasnt very high) without cheats) is asking for like 200k!

Thx, appreciate your sympathy. Well, if it's all depending on how much money your club has, that 1) screws "medium" clubs having exceptional success over big time and 2) sounds to me like very weak gamedesign - sorry SI. There are lots of ways to deal with something like that a more lenient way (relate to reputation/previous wages f.e.).

Try to have a 16 year player asking for 100k per week like i have...

Let me guess, he's Brazilian? Those kids are just insanely greedy from the first time they've been generated...

Well, if it is what it is - **** it, blast every remaining transfer budget Cent into wages, pay them, and hope for the best in CL. Hooray...

[edit]
One good thing though: I stopped thinking that players in Austrian Bundesliga are waaaaaaay overpaid. Nope, not true - FM teaches you that ;)
[/edit]

[edit2]
Now I know why those wage demands are through the roof. Guess who hates me? Right, Mr. Agent. Oh, and not only one, it's 2 of them. Guess which players they represent? Right, 6 of my first team players (5 of them running out of contract this season)! Seriously, is there a single person out there who believes those *censored* improved gameplay a bit?! Doubt that.
Wrong agent? Better sell that player asap. Ridiculous beyond believe...
[/edit2]

Last edited:
I have the same thing happen just don't renew their contract until you have to and if they ask for an improved contract and want to talk do the one that says something like "you still have time on your contract and I see no reason to improve yours" or something like that it always works for me they say "Okay boss i am sorry I brought it up." Hope that helps.

I totally agree with the wages in the game. I've tried to sign numerous youngsters and their wages are over 10k and I grudge paying it unless its a player I think will get really good and fight for a first team place.

The same can be said about first team players, I have a world class left back who after a good season wants to go from 90k to 175k and will not budge whatsoever! I didn't think it was as bad in the last game..

I had a regen who I signed for 16k (he was a complete beast already)
top scorer in the league and won treble with QPR, signed him in Jan as well! wanted over 100k after being with me for 4 months, I got him down to 88k on a 5 year deal

next year, he won every award possible and quadruple (or 5 or 6 trophies) after 10 months he wanted over 240k, I got him down to 185k but with HUGE bonuses!

also had Jose Angel who I signed for like 3.2m 2nd season, he was on around 20k and after we started winning the league and ECL (3rd season) he gradually went up by 40k a year and was on 125k after 8 seasons!

as did a lot of players..

its a pity! but think about it!

If you join a company who turns over 1m a year and in 3 years it is now turning over 8m a year you will feel like you deserve more of that money as it was partially you who got the company to where it is..

its human nature!

If he single handedly wins me games, I might be ok with that. But it's not the case here.
It's just that ridiculously retarded pile of idiotic gameplay **** called player agents. Every player that's not with those 2 agents has reasonable demands (mostly doubling which is fine with me).

Seriously I don't care if this is how it's RL too. This should still be a football manager not a game about "surprise! now bend over, *****!" player agents. It kills every bit of fun for me. I don't want to have to sell and get new players every 2 years because I have to throw money at stupid agents. Only thing negotiating gets you is being hated by agents. Agents mechanics are just way out of line for being limited by the game. I don't think I will buy the next FM if those agents are still part of the game or not completely re-done.

But yeah, I'm just frustrated to no end too and have absolutely no clue at all how to deal with those agent bastards. Can't be that you have to throw money at them so that they just like you (that's stupid and bad gameplay) or simply accept the fact that you won't keep the players you scouted for more than 2 or 3 years (if you don't pay them + their agents ridiculous amounts of money).

Stupid game... why does it still have to be the best FM out there...

to be honest mate I think you are over reacting a tad.. I am very tight with my negotiations, I have a DoF just for ***** and giggles, he does nothing for me..

If I want a player I will get him, negotiate hard and well! you both need to meet somewhere in the middle!

if he does not want what I am offering, I move on! find someone else willing to join the club.

but yes, when it comes to regens (mostly) they do want excessive wages and increases! Do not be bullied by your coaches saying you think you need to offer player x & y a new contract (even though you did 2 months ago)

play hard ball! especially with agents! keep in mind their stats as well! you can always niggle them!

also offer very high landmark bonuses for your players like mids/defenders (20 goals 1.3m) they wont really get there, offer large team of the year bonus as well! this all adds to the player and agent accepting less

Sure I'm overreacting a bit, but only because of how ridiculous it is.

Trust me, I negotiate hard and I do offer them more agent fee if they're the greedy sort. Negotiate too much, they'll hate you - as simple as that, and that's stupid under the aspect that agents are the main factor when it comes to contract negotiations.

See for yourself. I bet, if you take 2 regens with different agents, one you pay whatever he wants, the other you drive a hard bargain - first agent will probably like you (or is at least neutral), second one dislikes or hates you.

Sure I'm overreacting a bit, but only because of how ridiculous it is.

Trust me, I negotiate hard and I do offer them more agent fee if they're the greedy sort. Negotiate too much, they'll hate you - as simple as that, and that's stupid under the aspect that agents are the main factor when it comes to contract negotiations.

See for yourself. I bet, if you take 2 regens with different agents, one you pay whatever he wants, the other you drive a hard bargain - first agent will probably like you (or is at least neutral), second one dislikes or hates you.

you do know that every agent has different stats and act accordingly to them..

Yes, I do know that.

Less patient - keep negotiations short and don't try to squeeze every Cent out of him.
Fees - throw money at him.
Touting players - normally I include release fees and TotY bonuses here.

Only thing that matters for reasonable or ridiculous demands is if he likes you or not. Likes you: 30k; neutral: 60k; doesn't like you: 120k - and that, IMO, is way to harsh as it seems it's more easy to get him to dislike than like you.

But if you have something like a guide for "how to get player agents to like you when you're not the likes of City, ManUtd, Barca, etc." I'll gladly read it (I've read guidetofootballmanager.com regarding negotiations - might re-read it though, maybe I missed something). Thing is: why the **** do they even hate me? I've never had negotiations with their players before.

Guys, it's not your money, ok? Raikan is right, don't overreact about it! If you have the money to spend, use it!

you do know that every agent has different stats and act accordingly to them..

Yeah I always check those stats and offer really good landmark bonuses like a 16 year old to get an international cap for 500,000 knowing he won't get it. Also, yeah, offer a defender 10 goals but he's a centre back and he'll get X amount.

Raiken, on a side note, what skin you using?

I'm a gonna agree with Raikan007 id be in the same boat if the company i work for was making more money id want to be paid more a lot when it comes to something like football (if you have it spend it!)