Players are passing the ball to the wing backs

juventusfc

Reaction score
I currently do not have any pictures because I am at work. I can upload them once I finish and get back home.

I am playing as Juventus. I am running a short passing possession based tactic similar to the tika taka. I have an issue with how my players are passing the ball. They are always looking to pass to the wing backs and not passing it through the middle, like I want them to do. My wing backs finish the game with the most passes, 80+ each per game, while my "main" playmaker may make around 50 to 60 passes per game.

Tactic

Sweeper Keeper(s)
Ball Playing Defender(S) - Central Defender(D)
Wing Back(S) - Wing Back (S)
Half Back(S)
Box to Box(S)- Roam Playmaker(S)- Advanced Playmaker(AT)
Target Man(AT) or Poacher(AT) - False 9(S)

Instructions

- Very Fluid
- Control or Attacking
- Slow Tempo
- Farley rare time wasting
- Higher Defensive Line
- Narrow width
- Closing Down More
- Prevent Short Kick distribution
- Tight Marking
- Short Passing
- Retain possession
- Be More Expressive
- Play out of defense
- Work the Ball into the box
- Whipped Crosses
- Dribble less
- Roam from position

Originally the Roaming playmaker was the Deep lying playmaker and I also added exploit the middle in hopes they would pass the ball through the middle. They still continue to pass it wide to the wing backs or cross to the other(flank) wing back. What can I do to get them to pass the ball through the midfield and get my roaming playmaker make all the passes?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Have you tried removing play out of defence and/or retain possession? This will enable your players to pass the ball longer.

Your tactic also requires your wingbacks stretching the opposition, maybe that could be the reason why your players are always passing to them.

Having the play out of defense TI along with shorter passing and retain possession is definitely the cause. Your team will build attacks from the back and play a safe option short most likely to your wing backs. I'd advise changing the passing directness to mixed or direct, removing the play out of defense instruction, have the exploit the middle TI and maybe look at individual player instructions. The Gk for example may benefit from taking long kicks and maybe you should adjust the tempo quicker to compliment your directness.

Last edited:
Your 3 midfielders may all be on top of each other. Is that the case? 2 are roaming roles (the AP may be as well, I'm not in fornt of the game) so they're all looking to drift into the same space and playmakers tend to come to the ball, so the RPM and AP will also take up roughly the same space again. If it is, then it makes sense to play it to the open player, especially since you're forcing straight passes to feet.

Last edited:
The midfield was too congested, and maybe not enough space for them to move around. I decided to keep the short passing and retain possession because that's the style I like to play. I did remove the Play out of Defense instruction and changed the formation for narrow to wide. It helped a lot.

Thanks for the advise.

Last edited:
If you want to see more passes through the middle then you should add "Exploit The Middle" TI, I'm sure that it'll do the trick :)