Players current ability v rating

epic

Reaction score
What is the difference between these two attributes? Having used FM Genie Scout to search for players, there are numerous instances where a players rating is high compared to his current ability, and vice verca. What is the difference? Presumably the rating is the more important attribute when looking at new players to sign?

For instance, Ronaldo's current ability is 190 and Aguero's current is 170 yet Aguero's current rating is slightly more, 84.7% compared to 84.3%. Ronaldo's potential ability is 195 compared to Aguero's 189 yet Aguero's potential rating is again higher, 87% to 84%.

Does this mean that in theory Ronaldo has a higher ability but in my in-game (or, the game in general?) this will never translate to a better rating and thus Aguero is technically the better player/signing? (Ignoring their different positions etc) -- (there's probably a better example than these two players, who are both excellent, but I'm really just interested in the numbers).

Also, would I be right to assume the CA and Rating change from season to season within the same in-game as players develop etc?

Last edited: