johnnydrama

Reaction score
I've been playing FM (and before that CM) for about 20 years now and I'm addicting to the game. Like you (???) I make commentary for the matches I watch. The one thing ruins the game for me, every year, is the players exaggerated wage demands.

I played with Tudelano in Spain. Got them qualified from the third division into the first one, finished in the top table, but I can't sign players. Why? because every one thinks he's Neymar. I approached players who's getting paid 5k-15k per week.They had all asked me for more than I could offer (about 50k). I offered them all the bonus I could, but they reject. A few days later, the signed in another club, for half of the salary. Half I said? even less.
Now I play with Atletico Madrid and I'm looking for backup players. Players with wage of 30k-50k are asking for 130k and above.The stars of my squad, except Griezman are getting almost the same. I don't need to tell you they signed somewhere else in a ridiculous wage.

With Atletico you can say I'm cheap and It's not real money, and I shall pay them, but with a small team it's a bug problem. I can't pay so much. And if I do, I will reach of wage limit and can't buy more players. I even got to the Champions League, but the players preferred to sign somewhere else for much less.

Is it just me?

Not something I've run into too much. But it really depends on situation. With Tudelano, if you have gained promotion pretty quickly, the club's finances and reputation might not yet match where you are. So you can't necessarily offer what a club at the level would, And players that might be willing to join will sometimes but have a reputation that are above the club will typically want more money. Think of Manchester City having to pay huge wages to get Emmaneul Adebayor to move to them, because he was "above" the club's reputation at that point. You can get a good idea of this when looking at hte scouting report. A player who is marginally interested in moving to your club is probably going to want more money. A player who is highly interested will often (though not absolutely) ask for less.

As for the Atletico situation, a quick peak and it looks like almost all of their "big" players are on 100K plus per week. So are you signing a backup, depth player? If not, why wouldn't they expect to be paid along with some of the better players at the club? It only makes sense, especially if you are paying significant money to sign them.

Edit - did run into it with one player in my current save. I'm managing one of the bigger clubs in Mexico. Been able to sign players from South America without much trouble. Saw a quality Spanish youngster transfer listed and my scout said he was somewhat interested in joining. I offered, got accepted, and went into contract negotiations. He asked for about double my maximum salary. It kinda made sense - Mexico being a nation that is not usually interesting to Spanish players, so he wanted more money than he might have taken at a club in another bigger league in Europe.

Last edited:
To add, you can see on the contract screen how interested a player is.

You can also scout these players and know their demands and interest before you even offer. If it's too much, just find someone else.

This happened last year on my Cadiz save. What I did was buy players under 21 that were transfer listed for less then 250k most players came from spain or argentina. Good Luck.

IN real life, the foreign kid will always receive more than the local kid. Not as FM, but it happens.

And if you are a rich club, they will ask more, its natural. Although i had kids with 16 years old asking for 75.000 € per month...