Ryan

Reaction score
I know it's late into the game, but I've compiled a list of players for the championship (possibly back-up prem too) if anyone was interested. I won't necessarily list the more obvious ones at Newcastle etc, but perhaps some that could be of use to others.

Goalkeepers:

Ali Al-Habsi: Very very consistent, does the job. Good all-round.

Eldin Jakupovic: Probably the most OP keeper I've come up against in the history of FM (relative to the standard). I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've had several games against him on different saves where I've had 30+ shots and he'd pull out the most ridiculous saves and kept a clean sheet. Scout report suggests he lacks consistency, but his performances against me spoke otherwise. Usually gets listed for loan/transfer towards the end of the first window. Couldn't recommend him enough.

Keiren Westwood: Supposedly injury prone, but a very good and agile keeper with fantastic reflexes and very impressive other technical attributes

Bartosz Bialkowski: 6'4, good positioning and great technicals. Highly recommend.

Full-backs:

Dominic Iorfa: Probably already known by most, but this guy is an absolute tank and can probably compete at any level down the line. Great potential. Pops up with the odd goal too in open play, as well as being a threat on set-pieces.

Chris Gunter: Not the best technically, but he's got 20 in natural fitness and stamina and will graft for you. Rarely gets beaten and very solid defensively. Surprisingly one of the few fullbacks who actually prevents crosses getting in which seem to be so OP on the past couple of FMs.

Callum Paterson: Will take time to gel into your squad, but he can be picked up from Hearts for about 5m. Very strong and very good in the air and has a bullet of a long throw. Decent potential too.

Cyrus Christie: Will cost you quite a bit to take him off the Ram's hands, but the Irishman has got it all. Very consistent, lots of assists and he's still young.

Ryan Fredericks: One word: Pace. You'll need to work on his defensive stats a bit but he's great going forward, could see him deployed well as a wing-back.

Joe Bryan: Very good player. Not the quickest, but he can play all across the left-flank. Really starts to shine once you get him going.

Charlie Taylor: Don't think much needs to be said as most people have probably already seen his contract runs up at the end of the first season. Easily the best Left back in the league.

Greg Cunningham: Slightly injury prone, but just as good going forward as he is defensively. Height, pace and good fitness to round it off.

Centre-backs:

Sylvain Distin: Get him on a free, Don't be fooled by his age. Model Professional personality, strong, good in the air, great defensively, relatively cheap wages. What else do you want?

Danny Bath: Scores a ridiculous amount of goals from corners and even performed well for me after promotion. Great defender.

Pontus Jansson: You'll probably have to wait till Jan of the second season to pick him up, but he can easily play for a top 4 side, seriously. Just sign him.

Aden Flint: Bit slow, but the guy is huge. Very good defensively and good mentals as well.

Tiago Llori: 6'3, bags of pace and very consistent. Loved having him at the back. Can easily get him in on loan.

Tomas Kalas: On loan at Fulham for Chelsea, good defender who is rapid. Concentration lets him down.

Ragnar Sigurdsson: Bit similar to Kalas, also at Fulham, but probably more well-rounded.

Jesus Rueda: 29 year old Spanish CB/DM, amazing mental stats and very solid defensively. Can get him for around 500k.

Michael Morrison: Great leader and class defensively.

Simone Romagnoli: Very cheap Italian defender from Carpi, hes 6'4 and a great defender all-round.

Defensive/Ball-winning Midfielders: (Quick tip: If your BWM is getting booked too often, swap him to a CM (D), or a DM (D/S), you can also give him instructions to ease off tackles)

Liam Bridcutt: Very solid defensively, but that's about it. If you're looking for someone to break-up play, he could be your man.

Ryan Woods: Can also play at RB, good potential, very good on the ball as well. I'd probably recommend him as a DLP on defend duty.

Bradley Johnson: This guy was great fun, one of my favourite midfielders. Will pop up with some goals too, very good all-round.

Jonathan Hogg: Will run his socks off, good defensively and very aggressive. Doesn't offer much going forward though. Probably ideal to stick him in to win the ball back and lay it off to a more creative player.

Ben Pearson: Potential, good on the ball, good defensively, has the "Dictates Tempo" trait, very determined. Great player.

Central Midfielders:

Daniel Johnson: Sign him, play him as a roaming playmaker and thank me later. His only problem is his fitness and stamina, but you can work on that overtime. He'll start getting tired around the 75-80 mark, but he'll manage. If you've got someone to bring on for him then by all means, sub him off. He hasn't got the best work rate or positioning, but for some reason he just bosses the midfield regardless of who he plays against. His stats suggest he'd make a better CAM than CM, especially considering he wouldn't have to run around as much, but for some strange reason he just doesn't do as good a job. I suspect it's due to his "Dictates Tempo" trait. My favourite player in this FM and you can sign him for around 2-3m from Preston. Goals, assists, free-kicks, corners, quick, beautiful left-foot, fantastic on the ball. Wins games on his own. Get him in.

Conor Hourihane: If you're on 17.0 you can pick him up for around 2m from Barnsley and he's a fantastic player, has it all. Otherwise in 17.3 he's only just joined Villa and you'll have to wait a while. Perfect box-to-box midfielder. Even does a great shift in CAM.

Craig Bryson: What can I say. I love this guy. Scores a ridiculous amount of goals because of his "arrives late into the oppositions area", amazing on the ball, never plays a bad game. If that doesn't sway you, I'm not sure what will.

Aaron Mooy: Getting a lot more attention for his performances in the Prem lately, but this guy is amazing. Huddersfield can consider themselves lucky (although he's only on loan there in-game). If the opportunity ever presents itself to you, just take him. Magnificent player.

Wingers:

Ivan Cavaleiro: Too good for the championship, not sure what else to say. Unplayable on his day. 16 goals and 19 assists in his first season for me. Him and Helder Costa on each wing for Wolves is just devastating. A must sign.

Helder Costa; Slight downgrade in 17.3 and I haven't used him since 17.0, but in 17.0 this guy was class. Great dribbler and a lovely left foot. 14 goals and 22 assists first season.

Anthony Knockaert: If only he was a bit quicker. The Frenchman will do wonders for you on the wing. Easily Prem standard.

David Cotterill: Just joined Bristol City on the new update, but he has a wicked right foot, very quick as well.

Jacob Murphy: Young, English, great potential, quick and an amazing left-foot. Brilliant inside forward who will carry you all the way up to the Premier League title.

Roy Beerens: Can play on either wing, the dutchman is a wonderful little player. Gets loads of assists.

Garath McCleary: Great feet, two-footed, quick and can also play on both wings. Great player for Reading.

Floyd Ayite: Amazing player, hate coming up against him. Decent with his left foot as well. Needs working on his crossing but his individual play is up there with the best.

Camillo Ciano: Found this gem in the Serie B, he has a wonder of a left foot. Can get him super cheap as well. Really enjoyed using him.

Dimitris Christofi: Can get this Cypriot pretty cheap, he has amazing movement which presents him with loads of chances, he doesn't score every single one but he'll get at least 1/3 or 4. Reminds me a bit like cavani in real life. Over the course of the season he'll be in double figures in both goals and assists without a doubt. I found he plays very well up front as a defensive forward as well. Scored an absolute screamer for me on his debut from around 30 yards as well as bagging a hattrick. Very handy player, can easily fit into a lower Prem side.

Sheyi Ojo: Can get him on loan from liverpool, he will destroy every right back in the championship. Such a good crosser of the ball and so much pace. If you're looking for a traditional winger, look no further. Bags of pace and potential.

Attacking Midfielders:

Fernando Forestieri: At CAM or Striker, this guy is a superstar. Great dribbler and technically amazing. I loved using him.

Pablo Hernandez: I still remember coming across this post:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2017-players/362189-bossing-championship.html

He sums it up pretty well, the man is a boss in his position. I suspect he's only got 2-3 years left considering he's 31.

Alan Judge: Two footed, contract runs up end of season, Resolute personality and a tricky little player.

Zach Clough: in 17.0 you can lure him away from Bolton pretty easily who are in League one. I found him brilliant as a CAM, although he'd make a great false nine as well. in 17,3 hes just gone to Forest. He's a great finisher who's got a lovely freekick on him as well. Lots of potential too.

Tom Cairney: Very sweet left foot and technically gifted - will boss the championship with ease. Does a good job at CM as well and great at set pieces. Fairly slow being his only true downside.

Liam Kelly: Tiny little lad, but he's a wonderful player. Statswise decent, not the best, but he performs very well and I've really grown to like him in my Reading save. He's got good potential and he's young. By second season he'll really start to dominate. Amazing at set pieces too.

Forwards:

Kevin Lasagna: He's just too good. I mean, look at his name as well. in 17.3 you can't sign him as he's on loan then heads back to Udinese but you can get him after that I suppose. In 17.0 he had 27 goals and 12 assists first season, which is more impressive when you consider he was injured for 5 months (he's not injury prone though). He is absolutely rapid, works very hard, all-round immense, and simply unplayable. He just tears apart all defences. In my second season with Wolves he had a run where he scored:
2 goals against Utd, a hattrick against city, the winner against Arsenal and then 2 against Chelsea (all back-to-back fixtures). Does a great job at CAM too. Him and Daniel Johnson are definitely my favourite 2 players this FM, although in terms of individual ability, he's definitely the best on this list.

Nouha Dicko: Starts off injured, but this man is a beast, Very powerful and will smash the ball into the back of the net. Covered superbly for Lasagna for me when he was injured and bagged many goals. He just seemed too fast and strong for defenders to handle, very exciting player. Had 13 goals and 9 assists in 18 starts.

Adam Armstrong: This guy is probably one of the most annoying strikers to come up against. I've never actually used him but I always seem to lose to Barnsley whilst he's there and he always bags a couple. Very quick and agile striker and a very good finisher. Can get him from Newcastle in Jan first season on loan when his loan with Barnsley ends as Newcastle's squad is blessed with attacking talent and he doesn't quite fit in. But he's a great little player, I see him doing very well in a 2-striker formation.

Britt Assombalonga: A bit like Nouha Dicko, but better. This guy will fire you to the Prem with ease. He's 23, has potential to fulfil and so will probably cost you around the 10m mark. Great player.

Jermaine Beckford: Not that you wouldn't know the name, but I think he's been slightly forgotten due to his age. Let me assure you, this guy will bring goals to any team. He's still got pace and is a class finisher.

Milan Djuric: This guy is HUGE! Proper Brick sh*thouse. He will head in any and every cross and hold up the ball very well. Scores loads of important goals, and a very very good team player. Thoroughly enjoyed using him.

Tammy Abraham: Don't think much needs to be said because he's quite well-known. Amazing player, bags of potential, English....You'll do well to get him off Chelsea's hands, but if you do you've got a proper player.

Nahki Wells: Rapid, great finisher, and he'll drag defenders all over the pitch. Very fit and strong as well. In terms of dribbling, he is more than capable, although I never witnessed him really take many players on, but as a finisher and playing on the shoulder he was great.

James Wilson: Get him on loan from United. Rapid, can be a good backup and his pace just causes havoc. Class finisher too. Can easily make it a permanent deal as he doesn't stand much of a chance of breaking into United's team.

Hope some of these players come of use to some of you!

Last edited:
Im currently in 4th season as shrewsbury town, 2nd season in championship. My budget is pretty rubbish anyone cheap you would suggest?

Players I would recommend

Paul Digby (CB/DM/CM) at Ipswich - bought for cheap (200k ish), young, solid stats especially mental. Played at CB and was solid in league one and 1st season in championship Villa just nabbed him off me at start of second season for 3 million, after much interest from a lot of clubs

Sully KaiKai (AML) Crystal Palace - got in on loan 1st season in championship (3rd in-game season) an produce moments of inividual quality as well as a few assists in right tactic. Signed on a free end of season.

Brook Lennon (ST) Liverpool - On loan. Can produce individual moments of brilliance, played in false nine position seemed very effective. Top scorer last season with 22 goals