Players not doing what I have asked? Advice welcome.

Unbalance

Reaction score
So I decide to do a little test today, I've been playing football manager 2010 for just over a week now, tho I have played other versions in the past.

When I create or try to create a tactic, I like to start from the back, before moving forward and onto the more attacking area's of the tactic.

Now up untill the last few days I have not sat and watched the full match, or used the tools on hand to build what can be considered "good or very good" tactics (Yes I know, this is bad) however as said the last few days has seen that change and I have started to watch the full match's and try to use the tools to refine and build my tactics, however I am still having problems and here is one of the main ones.

I started a new game today as Newcastle, I set the philosiphy to "Very rigid" and left the stratagy to normal, I then decided that as a test I would set both full backs to a defensive mentality, and also turn off there "run from deep" instructions, I also made sure they had little creative freedom, in the hopes they would do what I had told them to do.

What I expected to see was both fullbacks staying in or around there position, not going forward, not taking risks and not leaving gaps in my defense, would you like to know what infact happend?

Well even tho the philosiphy had been set to very rigid and I had done everything I thought was possible to stop them going forward, what instead happend was that both fullbacks would always run forward, past the halfway line and quite a few time's to the byline.

So, can someone please tell me why my fullbacks are not doing what I have told them to do? Is the match enigine broke? or am I missing something here?

Any help/advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Don't forget it can take time for players to adapt to new tactics and even the slightest change can take them a while to get used to, I tend to mess with tactics in pre season friendly's then try not to touch them to much for rest of season unless I'm struggling. Remember you may need to give it a few games before they start to change there play style and don't forget you're rep can affect if they listern to you or not.

if they done exactly what you told them without fail everytime, they would be the best players in the world.
and they are probably not.

Give it time or get players with better mental attributes, ie. concentration and decisions

Ok thanks for the help, much appricated. Will give things time and see how it goes.

Theres could be loads of reasons mate, all because you set to very little creative freedom doesnt mean they will follow your exact instructions they sometimes have to do whats best for the team and may need to get foward to support attacks or keep possesion etc, or one of their perferred moves are 'get foward whenever possible'?.

Theres are sooo many reasons i cant even be bothered to type it to you.

Last edited: