Players Preferred role vs Picking A role

Reaction score
If a AMR has his best role as Inside Forward Attack should i play him as that no matter what or should i choose what i want him to play such as AMR Winger Support and just train him on his new role? Which would be better for the team, to play him in his best role or to pick one that suits the teams overall game plan more?

Any Ideas Welcome :)

Create a tactical system that uses as many of your best players in their better roles. You can't just lump 11 individuals on the pitch with no tactical coherency.

Create a tactical system that uses as many of your best players in their better roles. You can't just lump 11 individuals on the pitch with no tactical coherency.

If say i've got a player who is best as a CM Attack, would it harm him that much swapping him to a CM Support/Defend to suit the tactic more?

If say i've got a player who is best as a CM Attack, would it harm him that much swapping him to a CM Support/Defend to suit the tactic more?

As long as he has decent attributes for it I don't mind! I dont choose to have an AMR as an inside forward just because it says that is his best role, as long as he has decent attributes and PPMs there shouldn't be a huge difference

I'll refer you to my post again. The first sentence covers this. If it is one of his better roles, meaning he has the attributes to perform there, why not?

As WJ points out, simply picking based purely on "best role" will result in a mess of a tactic. The role needs to fit into what you are trying to do as a whole. If one or two players don't ideally fit the role, it should still work. If half of the squad doesn't fit, then what you are trying to do doesn't fit the squad and you may want to rethink things.

Going from CM-A to CM-S isn't a huge adjustment. Its very literally changing the focus of the role. A defensive focus will better suit a player with slightly better defensive attributes, while a more attacking one will suit the better attacking player. But unless they are wholly one-dimensional players, switching between Attack, Support, and Defense should be fine.

A more overt example.... Using a defensive 4-1-4-1 formation but having a player who is naturally a AML, whether winger or inside forward. Ideally, I want to use a WM role for the ML. That will maintain the shape and defensive solidity. Its not idea for this player. For the player, I would switch the ML to AML, but that sacrifices the defensive shape. That means the player will contribute less defensively. Even if he doesn't have great defensive attributes, I want him in place to help out. So I will play him "out of position" and out of his ideal role, as an MR. I might switch the role to winger at times. But whether he's playing as a WM or a W, I would rather having him doing what fits the tactic, even if he can't do it perfectly, than doing things that don't fit the whole intent.

I'll refer you to my post again. The first sentence covers this. If it is one of his better roles, meaning he has the attributes to perform there, why not?

Yup, I'll add to what you said by saying check the PPMs of your players too. If you pick a winger that's best as an inside forward but you want him to be a winger that hugs the touchline, make sure he doesn't have the 'likes to cut inside' PPM

This is one example but just common sense really. It will have an effect to the tactics if you use players that have certain PPMs that contradict your tactics