AcidicHaddock

Reaction score
Don't know if any one else has noticed this, or maybe I am just imagining it - Some players are retiring after being released (30, 31 32 years old) that just arent that realistic.

Example -Jermaine Jenas gets released by Spurs - I try and sign him as a mid prem team as a third choice - he wants far too much money! He wouldnt be considered the best midfielder in the squad, so cant really be the highest paid overall player. He wont agree to join for any less so I move on to someone else.

Come Jan, he is still free - still wont accept any less than before! then in Feb, he retires at 30 as no-one has signed him! Surely this needs tweaking as there is no way he would choose to retire over getting £25k a week still playing in Prem.

Another player - Makhtar Thioune gets released by his Norwegian team - over a YEAR later, no one has signed him - he still wont even discuss terms with me (different team, different save) and then retires aged 28! If a player has been out that long he would listen to any offers coming his way.

These are just two examples I can remember - it seems to happen quite a lot.

Any one else noticed this?

Not noticed it, they don't want to retire, for me. They're going at 35 ish. Carragher's still playing in 2015.

it does retire some ppl on frees at the ends of seasons to make room for the new regens so ur data base size stays the same

Maybe some players have a different type of personality? Maybe they don't want to play football anymore, or won't want to play for another club?
Never seen a player retire early, but have seen the likes of Berbatov and Cech be unsigned free agents at ages 31 and 30 respectively.

Edit: or that ^

Last edited:
Michael Owen turned down a move to me (Inter Milan) in the 2nd season to retire and accpet a job offer to manage Blackburn at the age of 32.

Michael Owen turned down a move to me (Inter Milan) in the 2nd season to retire and accpet a job offer to manage Blackburn at the age of 32.

haha..that is quite young indeed...the youngest ever manager in EPL i think

lampard was my assistant manager at 36, the oldest player ive seen was some dude called davie irons on a free wrth 1k and 50 years old !!

Maybe some players have a different type of personality? Maybe they don't want to play football anymore, or won't want to play for another club?
Never seen a player retire early, but have seen the likes of Berbatov and Cech be unsigned free agents at ages 31 and 30 respectively.

Thats a good reason - but I think it should be managed a lot better. Would Jenas really retire from football aged 30, yet turn down decent offers to remain in the Prem?

And why would a 28 Year old retire when being offered an opportunity to carry on playing?

On that subject - would Cech really be an un-signed free agent? He would definitely sign for another team, but somethings happening in the game meaning that no clubs sign these players - maybe unrealistic wage demands that don't lower over time?

i am in 2013/2014 and Beckham just signed for Coventry in the championship

I think what really has to be worked are agent and player fee/wage demands. They are too ridiculous. Sure, say player X was a star for his last team, suffered some bad injuries and is released at the end of his contract.
Maybe it is then acceptable for him to ask for an 80k/w contract is he was on a 100k/w at his previous club.

As time goes on and it becomes clear that no one will take that risk of 80k/w for an injury prone player he should lower his demands to at least 50k/w. SI should implement this in the game, would be more realistic.