Players Same As Rui Costa, the 10

Mob234

Reaction score
Good day, folks!

Am wonderin' if there are any players similar to what Rui Costa was in his prime in Viola and Milan, I mean his style of play.

And what preferred moves did he use while playing? I know he would run through the center, avoid using his weaker foot, and try killer balls often.

I'd love to sign someone like him on my game, as he's my fav. player.

thank you!

Last edited:
Well, I suppose the only top-level out and out "10" in world football is Sneijder. Equally though, Riquelme and Aimar are both "10"s.

Manuel Rui Costa :wub:

Had it not been for Figo, he would have been regarded as the greatest Portuguese player of his generation without doubt.

A truly great player...I wish he wasn't before my time. I watch his highlights and am amazed, he would have been one of my all time favorites to watch if I had followed the sport in the 90's.

If you want a great #10 right now than you're out of luck...there aren't really any. Riquelme and Aimar were both mentioned. Of course there's D'Alessandro as well (plays for Internacional in Brazil), who is very underrated. Also check out Daniel Montenegro, he plays for Club America in Mexico and made a name for himself at Independiente and River Plate. A very good player, very underrated.

Javier Pastore develops into a monster #10 pretty early on. He's the best pure #10 you'll find.

If you want to look even younger though try Conca or Jorge Correa (plays for Velez), both of them apparently turn into great players. Maximiliano Moralez is a decent #10 who plays for Velez as well. Matias Defederico (plays for Corinthians) would also be a good choice, he's only 'competent' as an AMC but retrain him and he could be a great #10 within 2-3 years. Also might want to check out Patricio Rodriguez for Independiente, he's a step below the others (was great in FM10) but probably cheaper. Not a great distributor but he's athletic and a good dribbler. That's all I can think of off of the top of my head. Oh, also, there's Paulo Henrique, who is more of a CM I think but everyone raves about him.

Last edited:
^^^thanks for the responses, guys

i was thinkin' of Ballack and Gourcuff, though the latter was once touted as the next Zidane more

so, these days it could be Kaka, eh?

It was supposed to be Hugo Viana, that is why Newcastle paid 8m for him, but we all know what happened there.....Riquelme and Sneijder are the closest you will get anywhere.

It was supposed to be Hugo Viana, that is why Newcastle paid 8m for him, but we all know what happened there.....Riquelme and Sneijder are the closest you will get anywhere.

Hugo Viana was never anywhere near as mobile as Rui Costa was. Was never going to make it. Most of Portugal knew he wouldn't develop the way Europe expected him to. It was meant to be Moutinho, but he rounded his play off more and doesn't dribble enough anymore to be compared to the great man.

Danny reminds me of Rui Costa, but is nowhere near his level.

Cairney <3.
Moves:
Dictate tempo
Try killer balls
Stops play
Look for pass not shot
Go foward
Classic 10 <3

^^oh yeah i forgot he would stop play, dwell on the ball then look for an assist

Ooh, forgot about Canales. He's a very good 10.

EDIT: Dzagoev and Honda are both possible shouts.

Last edited:
^^^thanks for the responses, guys

i was thinkin' of Ballack and Gourcuff, though the latter was once touted as the next Zidane more

so, these days it could be Kaka, eh?

I forgot to mention Gourcuff, he's definitely a good one, but he plays a lot deeper than a true #10, no?

As for Kaka, he seems to be a completely different type of player. I never got to see much of Rui Costa in action, but I think he's a true #10 while Kaka isn't. Rui Costa was an amazing distributor, Kaka never was. Kaka, however, (before the injury) was much more athletic and could run at defenses and complicate them in a different way. I see Kaka as more of a withdrawn striker. A true #10 looks for the pass first before running at defenses. Kaka was the opposite.

Ballack has nothing to do with these players, IMO. He's a box-to-box midfielder, which is a totally different type of player. He's an all-around midfielder, good at defense, good at passing, good at making runs, good at finishing. But he never was nearly as skilled or nearly as good at passing as a #10 like Rui Costa, Aimar, Riquelme, etc. A box-to-box midfielder is a totally different type of player IMO, and I don't like them nearly as much as the classic #10 :)

What team are you BTW?

Danny reminds me of Rui Costa, but is nowhere near his level.

havin' seen Danny at Zenit, I would draw some similarities, but that guy is just wack, tee hee
his direct passin' play was horrible when i watched

---------- Post added at 03:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------

What team are you BTW?

Yeah, man, I agree about Kaka, as he would get into box and bag 'em.

N I though Ballack was similar to Costa less his defensive duties while playin' for Germany, at least in WC 2002.

Im managin' Inter, been a fan for the best of 9 years now. I can well remember Rui Costa and when he would plays us.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoS4EspR-4"]YouTube - Soccer Rui Costa goal Portugal vs England[/ame]

:wub::wub::wub:

Ooh, forgot about Canales. He's a very good 10.

EDIT: Dzagoev and Honda are both possible shouts.

thanks, i'll mos. def. check them out. Think Dzagoev is even same height as Costa which is 5'11.