Players That Never Made It

Average Joe

Reaction score
I have an idea for a story on FM16 when it's out.

I want to give the guys who never made it a chance. I just need to make a full squad.

My plan is to create a new club a few divisions down in English football. The players will all be aged 16 or so. I will create every player myself, but I need names.

Every player will be a guy that never made it in Football. The guys everyone had high hopes for. I need you lot to help me fill out the squad.

Obviously player 1 will be Freddy Adu, probably the best known of the 'never made it' players. Everyone knows him, at age 14 he was the youngest ever athlete to sign a professional contract in America. He's now 26 playing for Tampa Bay Rowdies.

Player 2 is Michael Johnson who made his Premier League debut aged 18 for Manchester City, shortly before they got all their cash. Injuries set him back and he then basically got fat and later got arrested for drink driving. He now runs an estate agents in Urmston.

I have a couple of others in mind so far.

So, can anyone help me fill out this team?

Last edited:
Alfonso Alves, godlike before he went to England, never made it there

Arial Ortega is another I'm thinking about using. Was touted as the next Marradonna. He did get 87 caps for Argentina though so he may be too 'successful' if you can say that.

Adriano, had the world at his feet at one point, then everything crashed down. After getting fat and having drink problems he's never lived up to what he could have been. Does 'The Emporer' deserve a chance at redemption?

Also, should I include players who were very well rated but always injured like Woodgate or Ledley King?

Many of the hyped players that didn't make it were attackers so filling out the defense may be an issue.

Maybe a mix of sick note players and never made it players?

Shawn Wright Phillips & Junior Hoilett?
Junior Hoilett had buckets of talent for Blackburn Rovers but has done well to be with QPR but not to the level we saw in FM as I had him few of my saves. He finally has made his Canada debut.

Junior Hoilett had buckets of talent for Blackburn Rovers but has done well to be with QPR but not to the level we saw in FM as I had him few of my saves. He finally has made his Canada debut.

true.. but i guess about 4 years ago or so.. there were so many teams interested in him, and he had the talent, or so it seemed.. now he's anonymous!

Robinho is a good shout...

Kerlon could be one the guy who did the seal trick, Cherno Samba too he was an FM god I will think of some more later

Not sure if Josh McEachran is eligible? Made his CL debut for Chelsea at 17 but is now injured at Brentford

Keirrison I'm looking at for sure, he was a beast on FM and Barca bought him in real life and he never got anywhere.

Kerlon is the seal dribble guy isn't he? Another option yes!

Any shouts for defenders or a keeper?

Most hype always goes to the attackers so it's hard to fill out the defense!

Keirrison I'm looking at for sure, he was a beast on FM and Barca bought him in real life and he never got anywhere.

Kerlon is the seal dribble guy isn't he? Another option yes!

Any shouts for defenders or a keeper?

Most hype always goes to the attackers so it's hard to fill out the defense!

Richard Wright for keeper off the top of my head also Titus Bramble for defense

My recommendations:-

Mark Kennedy - Winger Left (later became Full Back)
Micah Richards - Right Back / Centre Back
Matt Etherington - Winger Left
Jermaine Pennant - Winger Right
Shaun Wright Philiips - Winger Right
Paul Merson - Winger Either
Paul Gascoigne - Midfielder
Nicky Weaver - Goalkeeper
Rob Green - Goalkeeper
Moritz Volz - Right Back or Right Mid
Francis Jeffers - Striker
Dean Ashton - Striker
Abou Diaby - Defensive Midfielder
Massimo Taibi - Goalkeeper
Abel Taarabt - Attacking Midfielder
David Bentley - Winger Right
Erik Djemba-Djemba - Midfielder
Alan Thompson - Winger Left
Stewart Downing - Winger Left
Fernando Torres - Striker
Luke Chadwick - Winger - one ugly b*stard too
Cherno Samba - Striker
Denilison - Winger Left
Kleberson- Midfielder
Joe Cole - Attacking Midifelder
Alvaro Recoba - Striker
Stan Collymore - Striker
Fernando Gago - Defensive Midfielder
Javier Saviola - Striker
Harry Kewell - Winger Left
Seth Johnson - Midfielder
Jonathan Greening - Midfielder
Kerion Dyer - Winger or Midfielder
Matt Le Tissier - Attacking Midfielder / Striker (No10 role)
Robbie Fowler - Striker
Steve Howey - Central Defender
Andy van der Meyde - Winger Either - loved his prostitutes too much!!
Georgi Kinkladze - Attacking Midfielder / Striker (No10 role)

Hope these help - all players that never reached their true potential, a few gems in there too - can't think of many defenders but they weren't really talked about much thou

Ps.
Agree with Woodgate, Michael Johnson, Richard Wright (was always battle between him and Weaver), Freddy Adu, Ariel Ortega, Ledley King, Kerlon and Kerrison so far... and yeah would have to agree on Tightarse Bramble

Last edited:
Thought of Another defender for you, Fabio from United Rafaels twin, before they movèd to England Fabio was actually the hyped one he was the star of the Brazil youth side (u17or u19 I think) and big things where expected of him back in Brazil.

Cheers guys some good shouts here!

Thanks for all that effort bornexplorer! Will have to stick some of those in :)

Will take me a while to make once I have FM 16 as I will try and get the heights etc correct.

Another one came over me... Shane Tolley (AMRLC(ST) used to play for Peterborough and was thought of very highly... CM 0102 he was a wonderkid in peterborough first team at 16....

I used to love playing as The Posh

Simon Mingolet.

He's allegedly a football player but reports are still sketchy and unconfirmed.

Arial Ortega is another I'm thinking about using. Was touted as the next Marradonna. He did get 87 caps for Argentina though so he may be too 'successful' if you can say that.

Adriano, had the world at his feet at one point, then everything crashed down. After getting fat and having drink problems he's never lived up to what he could have been. Does 'The Emporer' deserve a chance at redemption?

Looks like your OP is somewhat different. Adriano and Ortega made it and played at highest level for years, which is not the case with Adu.

If it's unfulfilled potential then you can add Ravel Morrison, Kleberson, Anderson too.

Looks like your OP is somewhat different. Adriano and Ortega made it and played at highest level for years, which is not the case with Adu.

If it's unfulfilled potential then you can add Ravel Morrison, Kleberson, Anderson too.
Was just trying to suggest names to get people talking really

Ravel Morrison is still only 22....

Maybe it could be a "never made it" and a "blew it" squad combined lol