'Players think they can just turn up and win'

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, but from what I've searched there is no thread relating to my problem.

So my players have just entered half time, and according to my assistant the majority of the team during the warm up seemed over confident and cocky, then they think they can just turn up and win off the back of the recent form. My question is how to stop this?

I've tried telling them 'not to get complacent' at half time, but it doesn't work. So my question is, is there any other way of helping them not to be too cocky and is there a way to discipline them over their cockiness?

Thanks

Before the match team talk:

Expect a performance from every cocky *******

If they dont perfrom bore into them with angry team talks

Never thought of that! Thanks, hopefully that should do the trick, if not going to have to ship them out but hopefully it will work :)

If this is a general problem and happens all the time then give more harsher team talks and cut down on the praise, only giving it out when it really merits it. Check the team talk feedback from your *** Man to see which talks work with what players as well to keep your players in check

cockiness always tends to produce wins rather than loses for me in my experience. You have to be careful with your talks though.

If this is a general problem and happens all the time then give more harsher team talks and cut down on the praise, only giving it out when it really merits it. Check the team talk feedback from your *** Man to see which talks work with what players as well to keep your players in check

Thanks, its been happening alot, along with the 'playing nervously' in the motivation section, but think I can handle the nervously, just need to clamp down on the cocky twats before I have a team full of show offs and we decline

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

cockiness always tends to produce wins rather than loses for me in my experience. You have to be careful with your talks though.

I think I may need to change the pre match talk, keep doing 'Wish Luck' after reading a guide on the SI website so might need a fresh approach. At the end when I select 'Well Done', all the players didn't listen, even Zambrano when he got Man of the Match and an 8.9 rating along with 2 goals when I told him I was delighted with his performance. I'll have to sort out the pre match and half time talks first, though

Thanks, its been happening alot, along with the 'playing nervously' in the motivation section, but think I can handle the nervously, just need to clamp down on the cocky twats before I have a team full of show offs and we decline

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

I think I may need to change the pre match talk, keep doing 'Wish Luck' after reading a guide on the SI website so might need a fresh approach. At the end when I select 'Well Done', all the players didn't listen, even Zambrano when he got Man of the Match and an 8.9 rating along with 2 goals when I told him I was delighted with his performance. I'll have to sort out the pre match and half time talks first, though
Sounds like you are way over praising your players, "Wish Luck" is a sure fire way to reduce pressure on your players and increase complacency, if players are nervous then give them easier team talks, it's a very fine line between being harsh and being lenient and it takes quite a bit of trial and error to get it right.

If im at home, and win comfortably I don't praise. They do get bored of the same praise over and over, **** sometimes I dont even give them a prematch or halftime talk.

Teamtalks aside, I think pre-match cockyness is caused by less professional players (i.e. the player personality).

If im at home, and win comfortably I don't praise. They do get bored of the same praise over and over, **** sometimes I dont even give them a prematch or halftime talk.

Not giving a half time talk can highly affect the players.

I was 2-0 to Leeds at home, didnt give a team talk (accident really lol :D) but ended up winning 4-2. And when I checked the Assistant team talk feed back 5 of my players were shown as fired up!

Teamtalks aside, I think pre-match cockyness is caused by less professional players (i.e. the player personality).

which is why I always try to get a professional/determined team personality. If you have good players who have had time to gel, they will almost never lose with that personality.

The problem is, I'm in Guatemala so the only players I can get are from Guatemala, El Salvador etc, and their CA is around 90