Players want too much money, but happy to accept less from others

theone25

Reaction score
I've been having this issue in the summer transfer window, start of 16-17 season. Players want exorbitant amounts of money in wages and signing on fees, and then end up signing for another club for significantly less when I don't meet their demands. Two players did just that.

Jose Gaya, the LB was my top transfer target until I saw his wage demands. He wanted 375k USD when my DoF negotiated and he accepted.. I did the negotiations myself and he ended up rejecting my last offer of 250k, then 1st of July I see he signed for City for 200k a week..... a sum I was only too happy to better.

Second, Paulo Dybala is another player I was considering, hadn't really decided, but I needed a striker to compete with Costa, Alvaro Morata would be too similar, Dybala is more of a Aguero and I liked the variation the two would offer. So anyway, DoF signed him for 240k weekly, but going up to 300k after 5 Int apps. I pulled the plug, absurd wages I do not like, ended up signing for City again for 180k weekly, with 230 after 5 Int apps.

I mean WTF!?!!? We are the defending EPL and European Champions, if anything they should be taking a pay cut to play for me. Also I offered them the same squad status if anyone is wondering. And my other players are on moderate wages, only gave Willian a new 200k deal because of his superb form and great work ethic.

Just want to know if this is happening to others as well? Thanks for taking the time to read.

I've been having this issue in the summer transfer window, start of 16-17 season. Players want exorbitant amounts of money in wages and signing on fees, and then end up signing for another club for significantly less when I don't meet their demands. Two players did just that.

Jose Gaya, the LB was my top transfer target until I saw his wage demands. He wanted 375k USD when my DoF negotiated and he accepted.. I did the negotiations myself and he ended up rejecting my last offer of 250k, then 1st of July I see he signed for City for 200k a week..... a sum I was only too happy to better.

Second, Paulo Dybala is another player I was considering, hadn't really decided, but I needed a striker to compete with Costa, Alvaro Morata would be too similar, Dybala is more of a Aguero and I liked the variation the two would offer. So anyway, DoF signed him for 240k weekly, but going up to 300k after 5 Int apps. I pulled the plug, absurd wages I do not like, ended up signing for City again for 180k weekly, with 230 after 5 Int apps.

I mean WTF!?!!? We are the defending EPL and European Champions, if anything they should be taking a pay cut to play for me. Also I offered them the same squad status if anyone is wondering. And my other players are on moderate wages, only gave Willian a new 200k deal because of his superb form and great work ethic.

Just want to know if this is happening to others as well? Thanks for taking the time to read.

This has happened to me till I looked further into it.

It is a fact that the better the 'extras' on a contract the lower the wage a player will accept. The only seemingly the most obvious to allow you to offer a lower wage is a huge fee to the agent. Whilst not ideal it is no inconceivable that an AI side will have offered treble the fee to the agent you are offering in exchange for their client being on lower wages. Something I don't get involved in but just an idea for you there my friend.

This has been a rampant problem in all Football Managers since....ever.

Same goes for transfer fees, I have had countless instances of offering well over the odds for a player, sometimes 2-3 times their value, only to have it rejected. That same player then makes a switch to a rival team for a few million more than what they are valued at by the game.

Then when bids come in for my players, they are ALWAYS, ALWAYS less than the valuation placed on them by the game. If we bid the same way the AI does, like offering £20-30m for a player valued at over £40m, we would get laughed out of the discussion. Yet the AI deems that as acceptable.

On top of this unfair, biased set up, skewed to benefit AI teams - once a completely terrible bid is received for one of your players, and subsequently rejected, they get all pissy saying they want to leave....

...sure you want to leave the team that has just won 4 EPL titles and CL trophies back to back and move to a team not even willing to pay your valuation.

I love this game, but the transfer mechanism is really, really poor.

Try increasing the loyalty bonus, usally sways them

Increasing loyalty bonus and match fee works for me. Players are more willing even in RL to accept lower wages if they get good bonuses for playing especially if you want them as a key or first team player. Basic wages are one thing but the bonuses are the key.

This year this seems to be even worse than previous ones.

I am a manager of objectives, meaning, if a player is a GK / DC /FB I always give more money on clean sheets and related payments. It works for me as I my teams always concede a lot of goals :p

I do the same to all players regardless of the position and always offer prizes if the team wins any competition. The more I want one player the more I give on prizes.

That lowers the wages and allows negotiating signing on fees.

This has been a rampant problem in all Football Managers since....ever.

Same goes for transfer fees, I have had countless instances of offering well over the odds for a player, sometimes 2-3 times their value, only to have it rejected. That same player then makes a switch to a rival team for a few million more than what they are valued at by the game.

Then when bids come in for my players, they are ALWAYS, ALWAYS less than the valuation placed on them by the game. If we bid the same way the AI does, like offering £20-30m for a player valued at over £40m, we would get laughed out of the discussion. Yet the AI deems that as acceptable.

On top of this unfair, biased set up, skewed to benefit AI teams - once a completely terrible bid is received for one of your players, and subsequently rejected, they get all pissy saying they want to leave....

...sure you want to leave the team that has just won 4 EPL titles and CL trophies back to back and move to a team not even willing to pay your valuation.

I love this game, but the transfer mechanism is really, really poor.

Once again, this is absurd on this years FM.

I have players valued at £25M and I get offers of £1.9M ...:(...I mean, WTF?? Even if they are transfer listed this is absurd!!

One thing I noticed when I get this kind of stupid offers, if you wait until a couple of days before the transfer window closes, 95% of times a team offers at least their valuation. So, patience is paramount!!!

I have noticed this in past version of FM. I'd agree that bonuses and clauses help you persuade them to sign a lower wage!

I also use objectives in my contracts, goal bonuses for strikers clean sheets for goalkeepers etc, bit of motivation for them ;)

Here is thread AI wanting unrealistic transfer fees in SI forum I have issued but the people in SI forum feel there is nothing wrong with it..
That's what I used to tell my mum about the washing the dishes... "it's fine, there's nothing wrong with them".

SI, and that forum in particular, is all kinds of ****** up. Some of those kids (and that's what some of them are) weren't even around during QuakeNET days and they go around abusing you if you dare question the game.

I'm surprised that more hasn't been made of the fact that EVERY save of mine so far - the best player in the league more often than not (sometimes even the entire top 5) is made up of RBs... so yeah. Transfer fees are the least of my worries as far as the game is concerned. Also, might be something I imagined, but every time I give a player wages they don't deserve others ask for more and are less willing to bargain. I started a new save with AC Milan and barely any of the players earn over 58k per week on my side. It's because I haven't lost a single "battle" on the negotiation table and usually back out immediately and look elsewhere when they ask for absurd amounts.

Classic issue that has been around since the CM days, just like the stupid yellow cards in the first 10mins or the absurd requests from other teams for selling their players, while accepting less money from the AI.

SI just does not care to solve this, we still give them money each year anyway.

Yep wages and transfer fees are ridiculous. What really annoys me as well is so often when you want to sell a player even they're decent no one wants them or when they do they make a joke of an offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try increasing the yearly wage rise. I signed Ander herrera from Man Utd for Milan. He was asking for 275K per week but settled for 140k per week after i gave him a 30 percent yearly rise. I know that is not ideal but atleast you get the player on a decent wage and later you can sell him to reduce the increased wage.

Yup, that's happened to me too and I'd say it's very frustration, I hope SI will look into it for FM17

i think what happens this year is if you have a big wage budget agents try to demand more because they know you have a bigger budget.