pipodeclown

Reaction score
Everytime the opponnent loses comes 1 man down my players start to play **** and I start leaking goals... The opponent goes into god mode, hits 40 yard passes straight 1 on 1 strikers etc. What do you guys do when you have more players? I'm now getting ****** when the enemy is 1 down :p

What are they doing? That's generally the most important. You should normally go more offensive, push the full backs into the wing back slots, change one or two defend duties to support and one or two support duties to attack, that sort of thing if they have a man sent off to seize the advantage and put yourself onto the front foot.

Try and play wider, either by using shouts or by playing wingers (if you're not already). By playing the ball out wide and using the flanks you are spreading the opponents team apart, this will make more room in the middle of the pitch (especially if they're one player short) so if you have a quality DLP or AP they will come to life as they will have a lot of time/space to pick their passes and dictate the game. Then maybe use the shout 'exploit the middle' to exploit the fact that the opponents are so wide open. Set the team to control, don't automatically go to attacking as they will counter attack you, especially if they have had a man sent off they will sit deeper and wait, so control or standard is your best bet unless time is desperately running out.

So, you play wider, get the ball out to your wingers, causing more space in the middle, then get the team to exploit the middle so your wingers start playing balls back in, be it crosses or through balls which creates space for CAM's/ST's. Hope this helps!!! :) BTW, this is just general, real life ideas (based on real games), I have no idea as to whether this works in the game or not! ;)

So, you play wider, get the ball out to your wingers, causing more space in the middle, then get the team to exploit the middle so your wingers start playing balls back in, be it crosses or through balls which creates space for CAM's/ST's. Hope this helps!!! :) BTW, this is just general, real life ideas (based on real games), I have no idea as to whether this works in the game or not! ;)
Actually I would say this is a pretty good approach for FM as well. To this I would add that sometimes the opposition just gives up playing football altogether and essentially defends with their 10 men. If I'm desperate for a result, and/or they are not as good as my team, I either sub a centreback for a midfielder/winger/attacker, or play him out of position in a DM slot or something. If they play with 10 men under the ball, no need for 4 in the back.

Be careful with width though, you can stretch your own players out too far as well. In FM as in real football, sometimes playing with 10 is not an handicap at all.

And upping the tempo can be beneficial too. Move the ball around quicker in order to exploit better the supposedly increased space.

Drop deeper, deny them the running space and get some starting advantage for your defenders, apart from the other ideas to augment the pressure over the passers.

I think what has been said so far illustrates FM perfectly - your tactics can be spot on but if your players execute it badly, you can still drop points. E.g - you can do what all the pundits say is correct, push players up and make the pitch as wide as possible, but if the opposition play a good ball over the top and the men back have poor positioning, there's no reason they can't score.

If the sending off is early on - e.g. the first half - the first thing I would do is nothing. Just keep going with my normal tactics. I would only start looking to play wider and push players forward if we're dropping points and can't break them down. Not only does this avoid being open to the counter, if you play a possession game you should be able to tire out the 10 men, making you more likely to score in the later part of the game.

When you say the opposition goes into god mode - are you playing in highlights? If your team has loads of possession with zero chances, and the opposition get two or three decent counter-attacks, then the highlights are going to consist entirely of the opposition counter-attacking - which can create the impression that the opposition is on top even when your team is controlling the game.