Playing out from the back - Structure

hoppo1982

Reaction score
Ok so going for a very fluid possession based style with NUFC (Think Pep at Man City).

The formation is as follows :

View attachment 96101

4-3-3 or 4-1-2-2-1 as FM calls it

Gayle(AF)

Atsu Richie
(W-Att) (IF -S)

Diame Shelvey
(BBM or CM-Att) (AP- Att)

Hayden
(DM-D)

Dummet Clark Mebemba Gamez
(FB -S) (CB-D) (CB-D) (FB - S)

Darlow
(GK-D)

Standard (I have moved from Counter to Control but it hasn't greatly improved or worsened my issue)
Fluid
* Play out of defence
* Shorter passing (I select this or not depending on Standard/Counter/Control)

Now to the meat of the issue. The structure when playing out and the lack of mobility and movement.

Issue one : The Centre Back's are not pulling wide enough when the goalkeeper has the ball. I am reluctant to change the DM-D to a DLP - D as i don't have the player for that role. The Half-Back role doesn't screen the CB's well enough

Issue two : Mobility - especially in midfield.

Man City's midfielders play on the shoulder of their markers and look to check into the space behind the CF or "the hole". If that space is not available they rotate or check into other areas. I cannot get my CM's high enough or mobile enough to do this.

City : View attachment 96103 Look where Silva is positioned.

My midfield 3 stand in front of their marker's and rarely look to get in the space behind them. This means most of our possession is in front of the opposition.

Something like the following mobility :

View attachment 96102

train your midfielders to get forward whenever possible.

I think you can solve issue 1 by changing the DR/L to WBR/L. This makes the half back (I think it works for DMd as well) drop in between the defenders which makes them go wider. I know it looks weird on the tactic sheet but will play how you want it to. It's a little annoying the HB doesn't just make this happen anyway even with DR/L.
If you think it looks too freaky then you could try 3 at the back.

Issue two might be helped if you play pass into space TI but that goes against your keep possession philosophy so could be bad advice. Alternatively more mobile players might do the role better (Shelvey has a lot of technical quality but isn't very mobile). I think the MC roles your using should be OK for what you're after, perhaps lowering the fluidity might allow the APa to concentrate more on being in attacking positions and less on tracking back.

Last edited:
I've found that pushing the wing backs forward a bit a playing a HB creates this positioning... so your back two lines will essentially be a 2 CB's with the WB in line with the HB... when in possession the WB push further forward and the CB's go wide into the FB positions and the HB drops into the backline... a mobile HB is required though as if you try and play too high you'll just get done with balls over the top as your CB's are too wide sometimes to defend them... CAN OF WORMS defensively.
Only way I've ever had any success defensively is by having one of the 2 CM's as a more defensive minded player... i.e. DLP/D or a CM/S - If you play with Man United in possession Carrick is the perfect HB although you have to consider how high your backline is with Carrick... try to sign Dier early and convert him to a HB as he is perfect as he can play DM and CB and has decent passing/positioning stats.

I've made my United save hard to beat and lots of nice possession football and movement... but not enough goals and wins yet... but atleast I've almost sussed the defensive side of it (FM18 will be out soon so no achievement at all)