Playing player out of position whilst learning

thefwf

Reaction score
I have a player who is a natural AMR, but want to re-train him to DL (FB-atk), his defensive attributes are usable there, and he's more than competent attacking.

However, will he just be consistently a bit **** while learning or will he be ok going forward (as he'll end up in positions he's used to) and bit shakey at the back. Or will he just be all round worse because he doesn't know the position?

I've never trained an AMR to play LFB but so long as he has the attributes for it he should pick up his new position. He might not play as good as a natural in that position but from my experience when you train new positions it's obvious in the first few games wether or not he will be any good at it. Beware the less suitability he has in that position the harder it will be for him to pick it up. Also it's harder to retrain positions of players over 21. He should get better if he has potential but wether or not he would be as good in his natural position you would only know if you had 2 saves and trained him different on each

Players just take a hit to their Decision making. If he has the attributes, he'll be fine.

an AMR retrained to DL (FB-att) I wouldn't put him on position in the big matches.
maybe against weaker teams.
would take a bit long to learn the position.
I would try and buy an attackingminded player. dl
are retrain a ml are a aml
as now you will put I guess a right footed player on the left side

Oooh, forgot to mention, he's either footed.

Basically I've switched from a tactic with wingers to one without, and I still want to use him in the team. I'm not going to be able to sell him for anything if he doesn't make any appearances. I already have a good first choice attacking LB and a backup one. I think I'm going to have him on the bench and bring him on if we're winning decently at 60 mins. But if there's an injury I won't start him, just switch the injured player with my backup

In FM14 I made an experiment, which may have been quite shallow, but the result was that it looked like it's not a big deal to place players out of position. No more mistakes than players in position, only a bit harder to get higher match ratings. Perhaps a bit less precission in offensive play.