Reaction score
anyone of you guys doing this?
i am currently using the Project Total Voetball tactic and i'm struggling on European level because my team (that is a 4-3-3 formation with no DMs) leaks tons of goals because of badly executed offside traps and conceded headers
so, my plan was to move one of the central defenders as libero. problem is, i read somewhere that using a Libero sort of forces the defenders ahead of him to play as defensive midfielders, something that i would really NOT like to see
so, if any of you has ever tried a libero formation, any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated

the team is helsingborgs IF, the season is 2018 and my team is full of young prospects that have no problem whatsoever in winning the Swedish Premier Division, but who seem to concede way too much in Europe.
plus, 1974 holland did play with a libero, so i thought i could do some historical recreation AND concede less
i was reading your thread after i created this, but i couldn't go that deep in it, since i'm (at least in theory) working :p
the Total Voetball tactic is quite amazing. we score. a lot. a whole lot, to be honest, both in Sweden and in European competition. if we score first, we can easily demolish even the strongest european powerhouses (3-0 to Barcelona, 3-0 to Bayern Munich, 3-0 on aggregate against Real Madrid, 1-4 in Donetsk with Shaktar), but if you go down and can't equalise ASAP against one of the juggernauth teams, may god help you (plenty of 5-0 in 8 years of European Football, the latest of which against the same Bayern Munich i demolished a week earlier)
so, the point is, i would like to settle my defence a bit, without effecting the attack power of the team
i was there therefore wondering if a 4 players defence could successfully be converted to a 1-3 defence, with two fullbacks and a stopper
at the moment i don't have a real problem with 4 defenders, the 3 midfielders are all set to box-to-box, so the presence of at least 7 defending players is assured. what i want to avoid is having the three front defenders acting less like defenders and more like defensive midfielders. i guess i'll give it a try after lunch, i have a couple of players that can easily be trained and become great liberos

Save your game, give it a run with the Libero option for 10 games watch full matches and adjust accordingly. That's the best you can do to learn how to implement changes to your tactic.

great thread! also had this doubt when using the total football with milan.Looking foward to see how it goes!

starting to try it now
8 friendlies against low teams just to get back in shape for the new season and then the first real test, champions league 1st elimination round against the mighty manchester united. european matches are the only ones that will matter to understand if my tactic is good, i suppose, since my team could easily win the league even with a midfielder in goal -_-