Playing with just 3 CBs vs 2CBs and 2FBs

Mordox

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm reasonable with my tactics and usually come up with successful tactics for my squad every season.

I've never been very experimental with the back end of my formations. I've found that if I play around with it too much I'll end up conceding a lot of goals with players being drawn out of position, not having enough time to set up against crosses, or just one of them getting jinked past will result in a 1 on 1 with the keeper. I basically always have 2FBs/WBs and 2CBs at the back. I'm also pretty reluctant to set my CBs to anything other than Defend.

The players I normally get for CBs are beasts in the air. Currently have a CB with 17 heading, 20 jumping but only at 'decent' for premier division, yet in my setup he is a star because he usually has time to set up and cuts off most crosses with ease. My wide defenders I like to be capable of hitting a decent cross and even run with the ball a bit. I like having them set to support if they're good enough for it.

I've seen some tactics with just 3CBs and no wide defenders and struggle to understand how they can work. Either there will be a storm of crosses coming in, or they will get drawn out wide and leave space in the middle.

Does anyone run a 3 man back line with success? (as in you're not a powerhouse team that would steamroll with any tactic) and does anyone have advice regarding different roles for CBs? Perhaps the players I chase just aren't suitable for a different setup?

I've never actually loaded up a premade tactic before, I prefer to make my own as its part of the game I really enjoy.

I had a look at the thread for the tactic but it doesn't have any info on what I'm after, and the tactic actually uses 3CBs and 2 WBs.