Playing with Newcastle - need help

vexvexius

Reaction score
1 - Tactical setup

Setup 1

View attachment 157778

Setup 2

View attachment 157777

There is no Player Instructions in these setups.
When my player gets booked (yellow card) I turn on the "ease off tackles" PI.

2 - I'm managing Newcastle in Premiership.

3 - I predict to be 9th in league, now i'm 14th.

4 - vision

I really don't have vision for this team. I would like to play controling football where my midfielders should bring ball to wingers or AMC (in setup 1) and them deliver the ball to the striker using crosses or pass.

5 - problem

I have good players but they don't deliver any results. My main problem is defence. I tend to get stupid goals (like deflected balls or my DC passes to GK and opponent cuts the pass and scores, etc) and I tend to get many goals from crosses even though i close down opponents full back and wingers.
I played three games against Man Utd and lost all three because their DR wan Man of the match. I just can't stop their crosses.
My DCs play like amateurs and I tend to get goals through the middle as well.

I would like to play either setup 1 or 2, but i would like to have better defence.
As far as TI goes, I turned on "stick to position" and "be more disciplined" after my assistant gave me that advice. For three games it worked and i won those games, but now i lost three in a row.
I don't mind to change anything. I just want this team to start play like it should. My oppinion is that this team can be even 6th or higher if they fullfil their potential.

It's dangerous to just blindly add instructions, no matter where the advice is coming from.

Setup 1 is unbelievably attacking in the middle. A 4-2-3-1 should (has IRL anyway) 2 holding midfielders. You don't. The AP isn't even close to being a holder and the DLP/S is somewhat, but not ideal, especially considering the adventurous role next to him. When you have the ball, you will leave absolute oceans of space in the middle, perfect for anyone to attack and take advantage of. Is the CF creating space for the AM/A to move into?

Setup 2, is the opposite. Looks like more of a possession tactic.

Why did you choose Control? It's an attacking mentality, with a fairly high line and closing down settings.

Losing to Man Utd isn't a big deal. They're bigger and better than what you are. If the DR was a problem player, what did you do to stop him?

What midfielders are holders? I don't want to have BWM because they tend to get lots of cards.

CF is creating space for AM because sometimes AM is Shadow Striker so they rotate. If it is wrong i will change it.

I choose control because i don't want to be highly attacking. I want to be attacking but aware of danger just like control is described.

Losing to Man Utd isn't the problem. Losing because of DR is. I closed him down, tackled him hard and showed him onto weaker foot. None of that didn't work. He crossed like mad and i lost.

Losing to Man Utd isn't the problem. Losing because of DR is. I closed him down, tackled him hard and showed him onto weaker foot. None of that didn't work. He crossed like mad and i lost.
But ask yourself why it didn't work. Was there no marker to stop him? Did he skip past challenges? Etc once you answer that, the answers are simple.

Last edited:
A holding midfielder ---holds--- position. He doesn't venture forward much in possession. Out of possession, the aim is to cover the area in front of the defence at the very least. That's exactly what a Defend duty is. The idea is to hold position and screen the defence, especially against counter attacks, but in general too.

Obviously a BWM is not one.

Last edited:
For the first tactic, I would take off play wider. If you're playing structured, you'll be a bit wider naturally. Trying going BWM-S with hold position PI or a BBM and DLP-D in the midfield. You'll leak goals without a holding midfielder and a DLP-D will at least give you some cover to recycle possession. I wish they'd re-name BWMs because people think of them as a defensive type player, but they're not at all.

BWM will not hold its position(even if you give them the PI) well as it has close down much more. He will still leave his position very early to hunt for the ball. If he doesn't win the ball, the 2nd cm will try to cover up his position leaving your defence exposed.

I agree with what WJ stated, having a DLP, AP and AM is far too adventurous especially with the push higher up TI. You need someone to sit deeper and win the ball back for your team. I use a 4-2-3-1 with a BWM and DLP(s) and an AP(A) setup and it works wonders (conceded 9 all season) but considering the weakness of your team and TI's I'd probably go even more conservative. Again mirroring what WJ if a specific player is causing you problems you need to makes sure you adjust your opposition instructions to close down and mark tighter and maybe man marking the player if necessary.

What league was you in to only concede 9 all season? Great defensive performance! I also use the BBM and dlp in my arsenal save allows your full backs to attack more I find.

Have you tried to lower the D-line? It might help fight through balls