LFCPeardude

Reaction score
im trying a new formation i really want to work but i need a little help on the defense.
Im playing with three centerbacks but i don't know what roles and marking instructions to give them.
So please can anybody help me?

((sorry for my bad english i norwegian sooo :p))

ive tried this before (also with napoli) and couldnt get it to work at all, props to you if you can...

I think that you'll be too vulnerable down the flanks without any kind of full-back or wing-back unless you have wingers with very good defensive attributes, work rate, natural fitness, stamina and pace. :p Although, it may work if you had very fast centre-backs with high stamina and natural fitness. :) Good Luck!

you could move the AMR and the AML to MR and ML and set them as wide midfielders to make them help more when defending
or you could try and move the CMs to DM positions and put a wider defensive line to avoid getting rap*d in the wings. I don't think this will work, but you could try :p

Also, try playing and setting your pitch as narrow as possible. 3 centre-backs in playing on a wide pitch will leave massive gaps in your defense and you will inevitably get ripped apart by opponent's fast strikers.

I used a similar tactic with Nápoles and i had great results (11.2)

It was 3-1-2-2-2

1 tall CB as Stopper (Strong, high positioning. heading is a plus. like Sakho*, Adil Rami, Kara, Fazio) in the center, 2 Cb's as Cover (High aceleration and high anticipation. like Otamendi*) in the left and right.

1 DMC as Anchor Man (Strong, high anticipation, high tackling, high positioning. Like Anthony Annan*,N'Zonzi, Kara)

2 MC one Box to box (complete player. long shoots is a plus like moussa sissoko*, vukcevic, veloso) and one Advanced playmaker (Creativity, passing, team work, technicke. Like nuri sahin, Darío Conca*, Arda Turan, Sigurosson)

2 Wingers or Inside forward depends on the players. players like kalou i preffer Attack role(quick players good dribblers, but not good passers) and Support (more creative player good passers). I used Elijero elia as inside forward attack in the left and Matías Schelotto as winger on the right with my napoli save. Then i bought Alexis Sanchez as back up.

2 Strikers. (Lavezzi and Cavani are great together). I used lavezzi as pocher/adv forward in the right Cavani in the left as Target man or complete forward ( Cavani in the left receive the crosses 2 right footed playing in the right lavezzi and schelotto ). Target man Cavani Mixed and Float Crosses. I bought Paloschi as Lavezzi back up.

Use a control mentality, and reduce the creativity of all the players except the MC`s. You will have high possesion.. and a lot of chances.

View attachment 164023View attachment 164024View attachment 164025View attachment 164026View attachment 164027
Good Luck!

Last edited:
could you post here for download? i would like to test it,i was planning to do a 3-6-1 formation with a lot of possesion and pression or a 5-4-1 formation with fast counter-attack,but obviously it would be for smaller teams!

tbh mate, if you want to use 3 CB's then you should use 2 wing backs but you can try, hope it works P.S most defenders are actually better as limited defender's :)

don't really NEED wing backs.

Dont really need any wingers at all to be honest

As long as you have an anchor man or two you'll be okay, as well as CBs who are great at winning headers (to deal with all the crosses)

I've noticed one thing the AI does if one of their Sidebacks gets red carded. They will move one side back to CB, and shift the original two CBs to the far left or far right. Creates a bit more space to cover the wings, but is vulnerable through the middle without an DM.

could you post here for download? i would like to test it,i was planning to do a 3-6-1 formation with a lot of possesion and pression or a 5-4-1 formation with fast counter-attack,but obviously it would be for smaller teams!

i will, i just have to "work" a little more on it i'll be back in a week and put it out so you could download it ;)

Use wing-backs! Napoli should have a good set of wing-backs already, Maggio, Campagnora (sp), Dossena, Zuniga..
Set them to attacking (not too much though) then they will attack and defend the flanks for you.