Tako 400

Reaction score
I'm not a very big fan of wingers. I prefer my teams to be bombard down the middle of the pitch in the form of strong, aggressive midfielders with support on the flanks in the form of wingbacks (4-3-1-2).

For the life of me, I cannot seem to get this tactic to deliver consistent results. For some reason, I end up playing some games where I've gone into half time while having ZERO shots! I'm telling my wingbacks to charge forward to provide width, my midfielders to attack and link up with my CAM and my two strikers, etc.. I've tried using lower tempos, higher tempos, playing with width or playing narrow, direct passing or shorter passing, and on and on, and I cannot find anything consistent.

From watching the games, it seems my players don't get into good positions to open up space. I've told them to move into channels, to run wide, to roam from position, to be very fluid, but nothing changes.

Are wingers basically essential to FM15?

No they're not essential. The standard formations all work fine. Just set it up properly.

Not essential... look at El Cunto tactic in the download section.. that's probably what you are looking for..

Thanks, lads. I'll check out what others are doing and see if I can learn anything from them. I'll post here if I have any more questions.

One point to consider - If you are bombing fullbacks forward detail your midfield on that side to stay back. for example, if you have a WB(A) on the left side your CM-L should be on Defend duty to cover the hole. If you don't do this, the WB will not be as adventurous, plus the ole he leaves behind will be easy to exploit.

I have had good success with the following in LLM and also in premier league:

------DLF(S) - AF(A)
----------- AM(A) -------
-----CM(D)-DLP(D)-CM(S)--
-WB(A)-CD(D)-CD(D)-WB(S)
------------SK(S)-----------

One thing I find is it helps to have an AM who likes to dribble a bit. I tell my strikers to roam and move into channels, which opens up his runs some.

This central approach works really well in FM15 if you swap out the AMC for a DMC. The extra coverage defensively in the middle allows the wingbacks more freedom to get forward. It also allows you to use a CM(a) to run forward from central midfield and basically be Frank Lampard in his prime. I find the movement between lines more satisfying in the 4-1-3-2 than with the 4-3-1-2.

I agree with Marc Overmars, as it is more solid and easier to set up formation... But if you setup good 4-3-1-2, or 4-1-2-1 -2 formation, it can work well too...

I use a lot those formations, and I prefere to play in these formation... There is number of ways you can create space, and you will have a lot of possesion... But there is downside and Achilles heel with these formations... If opponent is sitting deep with DM infront of defence, it could be problematic to break them down... In those situation I use f9 or DLF-s on both striker position and SS on AMC, speed up game, passing more directly and hit early crosses... The goal is to prevent opposition to setup defence and use space while it is there... You also want to avoid any playmaker rolle, as they often slow your gamle by backpassing to them... Instead, you use generic CM rolles and create more expressive player with individual instructions (more risky passes, drible more, move into chanels, be more expressive for AP like role)...

And if you want to playe in these formation, you realy need front three to be well rounded players, as they will need to win some areal chalenges, to drible, to pass and to score...